Fuzzy_Slippers

Manny Machado 2018 Outlook

What are the legitimate odds that he gets dealt in the next couple months?

Baltimore is going nowhere fast.

5 hours ago, CORTEz said:

What are the legitimate odds that he gets dealt in the next couple months?

Baltimore is going nowhere fast.

I feel like if it was any other team we'd be saying it's almost guaranteed. But the O's are a weird franchise... they were clearly going to be bad this year and management did nothing. 

I hope he gets dealt so bad.

4 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

I feel like if it was any other team we'd be saying it's almost guaranteed. But the O's are a weird franchise... they were clearly going to be bad this year and management did nothing. 

I hope he gets dealt so bad.

Atlanta should consider rolling the dice.

Would have to think more about whether their SPs will hold up and make it worthwhile but that team is very interesting right now. 

• Like 1

O's need starting pitching help badly, whoever has the best minor league arms wins. 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

If everything went well, we could have managed to be in the wild card hunt but everything has gone to s---.  Time to trade anyone of value for prospects. 

Oh if only this happened quickly as if Manny isn't already having a good enough season.  Theo is off already chasing his newest "thang" it looks like:

According to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun Times, the Cubs expect to talk to the Orioles about Manny Machado when he's made available in the coming weeks.

Wittenmyer notes that the Cubs checked in on Machado's availability during the offseason, so it only makes sense that they'll continue to keep in touch. Of course, there will be plenty of competition to get a deal done and the Cubs might not be able to hang with some of the other offers out there. The Dodgers would seemingly be better-positioned and have an opening with Corey Seager (elbow) out for the year. Per Wittenmyer, any deal involving the Cubs for Machado "would have to start with shortstop Addison Russell." This could strictly be a rental situation for whoever ends up acquiring Machado, as he's set to hit free agency this winter in search of a mega contract.

Related: Cubs, Addison Russell            Source: Chicago Sun Times         May 8 - 2:38 PM

This might actually help Addison Russell too because he just isn't growing any in Chicago and new scenery etc etc.

I don't know if the Dodgers go all in for a Manny rental though because with Kershaw iffy right now on top of their horrible start they may think the season can't be salvaged enough to do a massive RENTAL ONLY deal.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Please Cubs make it happen. Manny is already having a great season but the counting stats would be insane in that offense. PLEASE THEO

• Like 1

Thing is and Im not sure why more franchises dont do this, is deal him and then its gonna be about $$ anyway to re-sign him if you want to do that, if it werent about market, then in theory his people would be talking contract now?   Honestly my number 1 priority would be attaching Chris Davis and his albatross contract to any deal...which then might give you the opportunity to re-sign Machado on the open market if you wanted to go that route

15 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Thing is and Im not sure why more franchises dont do this, is deal him and then its gonna be about $$ anyway to re-sign him if you want to do that, if it werent about market, then in theory his people would be talking contract now?   Honestly my number 1 priority would be attaching Chris Davis and his albatross contract to any deal...which then might give you the opportunity to re-sign Machado on the open market if you wanted to go that route

I'm sure the Cubs would pay some of Davis' contract just to keep him BACK in Baltimore, heh.  But yeah the Cubs gave away their best trading piece last year to get Mr Q.  I don't know who they can offer for Manny right now other than a throw away Addison Russell other than taking on contract dumps.

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'm sure the Cubs would pay some of Davis' contract just to keep him BACK in Baltimore, heh.  But yeah the Cubs gave away their best trading piece last year to get Mr Q.  I don't know who they can offer for Manny right now other than a throw away Addison Russell other than taking on contract dumps.

Yeah,  Russell and a whole lot of cash for Manny.

This team makes owning him borderline unfun.  I can’t wait until he’s dealt.  This is possibly the worst baseball team every constructed.  I have little reason to believe they sniff 55 wins.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh if only this happened quickly as if Manny isn't already having a good enough season.  Theo is off already chasing his newest "thang" it looks like:

This might actually help Addison Russell too because he just isn't growing any in Chicago and new scenery etc etc.

I don't know if the Dodgers go all in for a Manny rental though because with Kershaw iffy right now on top of their horrible start they may think the season can't be salvaged enough to do a massive RENTAL ONLY deal.

I would have to think another team could offer someone a little more interesting than Russell. There will be a lot of suitors, someone will get a little nutty.

5 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I would have to think another team could offer someone a little more interesting than Russell. There will be a lot of suitors, someone will get a little nutty.

Addison Russell sucks.  Orioles shouldn’t take any deal with this glove only loser as the headline.  You can find glove only losers with zero hit tool, zero speed for league minimum.  Russell is a solid mlb regular on glove basis alone I won’t sell him short, but this is third time I’ve read this at varies spots today and Manny Machado one year rental or not is worth a hell of a lot more than Addison Russell as a headliner.  Whoever is pushing this agenda can go away.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CorreaTown said:

OMG Yes please

Not sure I want his AB’s creatively managed by Joe Maddon. Feels like all of the Cubs see around 80% PT and I think adjusting to all new pitchers / new league isn’t as easy as we think.

To me one of the best landing spots from a fantasy landscape would be Cleveland. I know they haven’t been mentioned as often but they want to win now and have the players to do it. They also have a 2B in Kipnis who is clearly past his prime. Machado going there would likely mean a move back to 3B for the remainer of the year - something I imagine he would be open to for a chance to win. An infield of Encarnacion, Ramirez, Lindor, Machado would be prettt amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudrummer said:

Not sure I want his AB’s creatively managed by Joe Maddon. Feels like all of the Cubs see around 80% PT and I think adjusting to all new pitchers / new league isn’t as easy as we think.

Zero chance they'd trade for Manny and not lock him into the lineup everyday.  

As for the league switch, that I typically agree with.   JD Martinez made that assessment look bad last year but perhaps he was the exception to the rule. 

Dodgers make the most sense right now - if Baltimore doesn't get SOMETHING for him by the trade deadline they better know he's staying or they be stupid 

Maybe Washington gets all crazy - what if, IF, he went to Colorado as a rental?  I mean, if Baltimore will let him go at a rental price his destinations are numerous!

• Like 1

Easiest contract league extension decision I've ever made. If he heads to the Yanks or Dodgers his production will only go up

9 hours ago, jahweedum said:

Dodgers make the most sense right now - if Baltimore doesn't get SOMETHING for him by the trade deadline they better know he's staying or they be stupid 

Maybe Washington gets all crazy - what if, IF, he went to Colorado as a rental?  I mean, if Baltimore will let him go at a rental price his destinations are numerous!

As a Dodger fan, it would make it worth it to make the long drive to see them play! We have Bellinger, a resurgent Matt Kemp, and literally nobody else on offense. Kershaw is on the DL, and Kenley hasn't been himself this year. So Machado would be a great addition. He's had a great year so far, a trade wouldn't hurt his value IMO. 

This is pretty biased considering I'm a fan of the team, but I'd still keep a close watch on the Phillies. I know they're expected to take a run at Manny when he hits UFA, but if they're still near a wild card spot in July, why not? Sure, you give up some prospect capital, but you lock yourself into a head start on negotiations and get a playoff run at the same time. Then just pay the guy the insane contract you were going to offer him anyway. Plus, it's not like JP Crawford has done a whole lot to lock down SS for himself and we're discovering Kingery can play anywhere.

Possibly something to keep an eye on. 

Edited by adifazio27
  • Like 1

If a team trades for Manny, I don’t think it will be a rental. 100% guarantee if a team trades numerous good pieces they will make sure Manny signs a deal ... 

Does the Cubs have any good prospects left that teams really feel good about? Didn’t they trade them all away? 

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

If a team trades for Manny, I don’t think it will be a rental. 100% guarantee if a team trades numerous good pieces they will make sure Manny signs a deal ... 

Does the Cubs have any good prospects left that teams really feel good about? Didn’t they trade them all away? 

Except that isn’t how these trades work. This year it is all about the Orioles getting everything they possibly can to benefit their team for the long run. Likely will end up being one named prospect and two or three others those outside of deeply aware prospect hunters know of. To me the Orioles are making a mistake if they are trading Manny for MLB ready talent. Their window of contention is 2-4 seasons away.

I’m sure whatever team trades for Manny will try to negotiate a long term deal with him prior to free agency but whether or not that gets done is anyone’s guess.