Fuzzy_Slippers

Manny Machado 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Didi has 2 years left on his deal.  The reason teams trade guys like Machado is because they don’t think they’ll be able to resign them and they need COST CONTROLLED players.  Didi is not cost controlled.  Orioles will want probably 2 top 5 prospects out of a system for Machado as well as another 1-2 top 15 guys.  It’s going to take a monster haul of cost controlled options for Machado to be dealt.  

You think the Orioles will get all of that for a rental? 

I think most here either don’t understand the context of a “rental” trade or far over estimate Machado’s value as a “rental” player. 

The most likely outcome and a “good” trade for the Orioles would be one Top 100 prospect and another 1-2 lower level prospects. This article provides a good overview: https://www.royalsreview.com/2017/7/20/15977524/what-can-trading-rental-players-get-you

So for example Machado to the Yankees might start off with Justus Sheffield and Esteban Florial. To the Indian’s maybe it’s Triston McKenzie and Bobby Bradley. The reality is that unless you are a total prospect hound Machado is likely to be traded for players you know little or nothing about...

Edited by mudrummer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dkrocka said:

Almora is a gold gloves caliber defender with some contact skills no power, no steals. Don't be fooled he has plenty of speed. And by the way he's the Cubs starting centerfielder. I'd rather the Cubs move schwarber or Happ... But hey, he's just a role player :s

Not bashing Almora or Russell. Both are very good, young defensive players. But they are not going to be big impact bats. Useful pieces to any team, but you might be looking for something with a little more upside if you deal Manny. Schwarber and/or Happ make more sense in a deal. Maybe one of them with Russell and a prospect or two. 

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Haha, they need some of those prospects to trade for a STARTER. 

They need no help at SS or 3B.  They make a trade like that for someone they don't really need this year -- and a rental besides -- and as a result they kill their chances at upgrading a pitching staff that needs it to go all the way.  Both  this year and in the future.  Again that would be a terrible, horrible and devastating trade to make for the Yankees.

And Manny does NOT want to play 3B and an unhappy Manny is not a good thing either.

You are discounting Manny. I think in any sport you don't pass up the opportunity to add a franchise changing player. As good as Stanton and Judge are, Manny becomes the face of your franchise. You went and got Arod even though you had Jeter! 

The yankees have an embarrassment of riches. Atlanta and Houston are the only other clubs that probably have a more exciting farm system. They can make the trade to get Manny and still make a deal for a SP. Even those 2 moves leave the farm system looking fine. 

Also, if Manny wants to play SS I'm sure Didi would move to accommodate.

Currently slashing: .350/.431/.669, 13 HR, 38 RBI.   

Good for 2nd, 1st and 1st in the triple crown so far. 

Edited by verycoolnin

2 hours ago, corey_rideout said:

You are discounting Manny. I think in any sport you don't pass up the opportunity to add a franchise changing player. As good as Stanton and Judge are, Manny becomes the face of your franchise. You went and got Arod even though you had Jeter! 

The yankees have an embarrassment of riches. Atlanta and Houston are the only other clubs that probably have a more exciting farm system. They can make the trade to get Manny and still make a deal for a SP. Even those 2 moves leave the farm system looking fine. 

Also, if Manny wants to play SS I'm sure Didi would move to accommodate.

OT:  I think the White Sox and Padres have better farm systems and the Phillies are no slackers either.

Also was A-Rod a rental?  I think not.

Again as a Red Sox fan I'd love for the Yankees to empty their cupboard for a rental they don't need and not get a top pitcher as a result.  But they Yankee front office isn't that stupid. They have plenty of offense.  They need better pitching to go deep in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, verycoolnin said:

As an Oriole fan, I'd like to keep  Manny. :(

As an Oriole fan you’re honestly better trading him now. I can tell you this as a royals fan...

He's going to hit the free agent market at the age of 26. He'll be an elite fielding SS/3B who has proven that he can stay healthy and provide consistently great production over the course of years.

And it looks like in his contract year he's going to hit something like .300/40/100+/100

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, whyamiajetfan said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy-baseball-draft-prep-overrated-hitters-not-worth-price-tag-233851855.html    

Does anyone remember when this was an actual thing yahoo had?  i remember reading this and laughing a bit

Betts and Machado lmao

Yes, let's ignore the superstars coming off down years despite being able to get them at a slight discount. So dumb.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, street sharks said:

Betts and Machado lmao

Yes, let's ignore the superstars coming off down years despite being able to get them at a slight discount. So dumb.

In fairness, Machado has never hit like this in his career.  He's never even OPSed above .900 in a season. This is a whole new level we're seeing out of him so far. Will be interesting to see if he can sustain it (not to this degree, but can he put up a full season .940-.960 OPS?). 

7 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

Not hurt, out of the lineup with an illness (or maybe a potential trade?):

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-machado-sick-20180611-story.html

Well the article states it's the same bug that Valencia had that kept him out of Sunday's game....

6 minutes ago, street sharks said:

but think of your fantasy team

Lol I know, I almost included the BUT as a Machado owner.  Hitting after Goldy would be pretty nice.  Though he would have to play games in AT&T and Petco - but some in Coors as well :wub:

I know pollock was hot early but that would be a pretty significant hit in terms of home park right? 

2 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

I know pollock was hot early but that would be a pretty significant hit in terms of home park right? 

That whole lineup is hitting dingers right now. And it's also such a big upgrade, the addition in counting stats would far outweigh the minimal negative impact on HR imo

20 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

Demise of park was exaggerated.  Small sample cold streaks from Goldy hurt the totals.  It will still end up being a hitters park.  

41 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

As a Giants fan, I really hope this does not happen.  

As a MLB fan, I really hope he just gets traded somewhere.

• Haha 1