Fuzzy_Slippers

Manny Machado 2018 Outlook

7 hours ago, 89Topps said:

It's like a bad case if the Mondays if every day were Monday and the days were 1000 hours long.

2d1jue.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

DeJong is suppose to start his minor league re-hab tomorrow and should be back at SS within a week.

Not that the cards would even consider picking up machado but Dejong can slide on over to 3B.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

Not that the cards would even consider picking up machado but Dejong can slide on over to 3B.  

True that or Manny could play 3B too even if he doesn't want too.  But nice for fantasy owners in dynasty and keeper leagues if he did because keeping 3B eligibility for next season always gives you more flex. 

But the Cards keep giving Carpenter the beloved vet treatment and keep running out Wong (DeJong can play 2B too) so well there is that.  But like you said, they wouldn't bother to consider going after Machado.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

True that or Manny could play 3B too even if he doesn't want too.  But nice for fantasy owners in dynasty and keeper leagues if he did because keeping 3B eligibility for next season always gives you more flex. 

But the Cards keep giving Carpenter the beloved vet treatment and keep running out Wong (DeJong can play 2B too) so well there is that.  But like you said, they wouldn't bother to consider going after Machado.

Kind of OT, but Carpenter is having a really good season.  He's been mashing lately too.  

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Kind of OT, but Carpenter is having a really good season.  He's been mashing lately too.  

He’s a first baseman tho.  

Ultimately, a move like this would force JMart out, who has no future with this team. 

I would love to see him get traded to the Indians. They would easily have one of the best lineups in recent history. Brantley, Ramirez, Machado, Lindor, and E-5? Unreal.

32 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I would love to see him get traded to the Indians. They would easily have one of the best lineups in recent history. Brantley, Ramirez, Machado, Lindor, and E-5? Unreal.

Correction, infields, not line-ups.  Their outfield, along with their bullpen, are their major needs but yeah Cleveland is interested.  But so are others:

According to Jon Morosi of MLB Network, trade talks between the Diamondbacks and Orioles about Manny Machado have been "consistent.

This comes on the heels of a report from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic that pointed to Arizona and Cleveland as the "most motivated suitors" for the 25-year-old star infielder. There are believed to be at least six other teams in the hunt, including the Dodgers, Cubs, and Phillies. Machado, an impending free agent, is batting .311/.378/.565 with 21 home runs and 59 RBI in 83 games this season for a last-place Orioles outfit. He'd be a massive offensive upgrade at shortstop for the Diamondbacks, and just about any other club.

Source: Jon Morosi on Twitter                             Jul 4 - 9:43 AM

Arizona after another bat in the second half a la JD last year?  What do they even have to trade?  As a fantasy owner any of these clubs would be a massive upgrade in line-up aka RBIs for me. 

I tend to like Philly best because I think that is where Manny ends up long term as well with all their money to go after him in the off season.  Might as well get comfy and settled in early and start bashing at his new home. 

Phils and Dodgers have best farm material to offer for Manny too of the clubs listed above.  Especially gives them the ability not to wreck their farms getting him. 

Cleveland might have some pieces but they could really mess up their system in the process.  And, again, I don't think Arizona even has a system in comparison. 

Nor do the Cubs after the Q trade and the Cubs need pitching.  Also they would have to include Addison Russell and the O's want young farm pitching back instead.  And ironically Russell is finally starting to hit some the last 2 weeks.  Cubs make the least sense of all but Theo may feel the need to "feed the beast" again but this time in Chicago.  Careful there, Theo.  It is role players that win championships, not big splash players usually.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Add Braves to the long list of interested contenders; but I doubt they are serious. I'd bet it is either Braves driving the price up for Phillies to overpay or O's getting Braves involved to jack up the price on suitors. 

is machado really on pace for one of the worst defensive performances in history? if he gets traded, what are the odds he sticks at short with a new team? obviously, for fantasy, he's locked in as SS for this season and next. in real life, though, i doubt anyone wants him at SS.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/7/5/17536062/baltimore-orioles-worst-defense-manny-machado-adam-jones

excerpt:

The other chief offender is the Orioles’ best player, Manny Machado, who while enjoying his best-ever season at the plate is also en route to the worst defensive season on record. Not just his own worst defensive season—the worst for any player, at any position (positional adjustments aside). Machado has already reached negative-20 DRS this year—that’s the second-worst total at any position in 2018, on a list that also includes Jones and Mancini in the bottom five—and is thus on pace to hit nearly negative-40 for the season. Since 2002, the worst single-season DRS total is negative-33, for Matt Kemp in 2010; only six players have gone even 30 runs under.

Edited by osb_tensor

Well Kemp is still in the outfield so it isn't that bad a thing.  And if Manny makes it a it a big deal in the off season that he wants a SS guarantee then believe me those teams going after him will give him that guarantee.

Defensive stats tend to be all over the map and change from year to year too because those stats are pretty sketchy to start with.  They don't show the really good plays or the fact that a player messes up a play because he actually got to a ball a lesser player wouldn't have as well. 

Not saying Manny might not be having a bad year in the field and would be theoretically better at 3B.  But you can usually "see" poor defense just watching the game more than using stats for same.  If the offense is good enough to make the defense okay to live with then you live with the defense or lack thereof from my pov.  And if Machado is adamant about wanting to play SS you take the bad with the good (bat) and don't put him into sulk mode forcing him to stay at 3B then having him getting an attitude and his batting dropping off.

Yeah he might play 3B on a contender the rest of the year but as a FA next year?  Maybe not so much.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Just get him on the Yanks already so he can be a top 5 fantasy player in his sleep in that lineup. He has 63 RBI for a horrendous 26-67 Orioles team...imagine what that count would have been on the Yanks :o

Very hard to say . If somebody ahead of him in the Yankee lineup had already driven the base runners who's left for Manny? Maybe something similar to Baltimore? Only so many RBI chances to  be had . 

1 hour ago, richg24 said:

Just get him on the Yanks already so he can be a top 5 fantasy player in his sleep in that lineup. He has 63 RBI for a horrendous 26-67 Orioles team...imagine what that count would have been on the Yanks :o

Lmao I was just looking at his stats yesterday since I haven't in a while cause he's set and forget and was like HOW TF does this man have 63 ribs on the orioles??? Man is gonna become a monster if he goes to the Yankees

2 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

Why did Manny get pulled today?

They said wet field but there’s also rumors of a Philly trade. Likely scenario is that they pulled him because they are close.

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

At this point I’d be shocked if he plays another game in an Orioles uniform. Actually love the timing for fantasy purposes. If he is traded over the break there is a pretty good chance he doesn’t even miss a game. 

Of the the proposed landing spots what do y’all think from a fantasy perspective - here are my thoughts:

1. Yankees - same division means familiarity with pitchers, better ballpark and much better lineup. From a fantasy perspective this has to be the hoped for spot.

2. Indians - good hitting park, great lineup same league. Lots of games left against the Royals, White Sox and Minnesota pitching staffs - Pretty appealing.

3. Milwaukee -  great hitters park and good top of the lineup from an OBP standpoint (Cain / Yelich). Don’t love the league switch but NL Central is probably the best landing spot from an opposition pitching standpoint.

4. Phillies - good hitting park, especially in summer. Ok lineup.  Division which includes Scherzer, Syndergaard, DeGrom, Strasburg - wouldn’t be my first choice.

5. Dodgers - ok lineup if they can stay healthy. Ok park. Division includes Coors which would be fun but also includes SF, SD and AZ all definite pitchers parks. 

6. Arizona - probably the weakest lineup and worst park of the rumored contenders. Add that to the fact you are now facing Kershaw and for me this is the worst fantasy landing spot.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Really hope they move him over the break.  Want to see a big domino fall soon.

3 hours ago, mudrummer said:

5. Dodgers - ok lineup if they can stay healthy. Ok park. Division includes Coors which would be fun but also includes SF, SD and AZ all definite pitchers parks.

6. Arizona - probably the weakest lineup and worst park of the rumored contenders. Add that to the fact you are now facing Kershaw and for me this is the worst fantasy landing spot.

I've always thought Arizona was a hitter's park. 

Edited by Halo Fan

Up to 65 RBI’s to along with 48 runs on a bad Orioles team. Wouldn’t be surprised to seem get up to a combined 210+ if he could just get off that squad. 

38 minutes ago, Halo Fan said:

I've always thought Arizona was a hitter's park. 

Arizona always was a great hitters park or at least middle of the pack - the installation of the humidor has had a dynamic impact in limiting offense.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-humidor-effect-checking-in-on-chase-fields-numbers-so-far-in-2018/amp/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taken out of the game today after a dinger and rain delay.  So he's obviously getting traded before the 2nd half of the season. 

6 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Arizona always was a great hitters park or at least middle of the pack - the installation of the humidor has had a dynamic impact in limiting offense.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-humidor-effect-checking-in-on-chase-fields-numbers-so-far-in-2018/amp/

Ahh..forgot about the humidor.

Great first half of the season for Manny: .315/.387/.575, 24 HR, 65 RBI.  O's need a kings ransom of prospects to start their farm system back up.