winkler29

Tyson Ross 2018 Outlook

Just signed a minor league deal to return to SD.He had his best season there in '13,14,15.Any chance he can find some of that past magic in his return?He was just plain awful in TEX last season.

I think he's done. He looks done. 

He and Harvey had the same surgery. I'm hoping both of them recover but I wouldn't draft either until the very last round and that's only if they have a great ST. 

Wouldnt surprise me to see him win a job, some of the young arms are at least some of this year away and they didnt do a whole lot of additions to the staff, they also signed Young who has stunk recently as well.   Its a stop gap and we will see, I would not expect much, he is on the wrong side of 30, chances are the velo has been lost a bit and so that lack of command will result in more patience and guys not chasing and turning those chases into the 200+ K he had in his last pre-injury year.   His WHIP even in the 200+ K season was 1.30+.  If you are talking NL only league, where every starter gets taken and you have some guys who stink, sure might be worth a cheap gamble just to see...but in a standard sized mixed league?  Heck no.

I think the only way he provides any fantasy value (or real life value for that matter), is if he is converted to a reliever where his 2 pitches will play up a bit. As a starter he doesn't have enough pitches, command is bad, and he is just plain hittable. 

Somewhat decent start vs HOU:

6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 7 K

Nice to see 0 walks and 7 K over 6.

All four runs came in the 5th (3) and 6th (1).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rdf8585 said:

Somewhat decent start vs HOU:

6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 7 K

Nice to see 0 walks and 7 K over 6.

All four runs came in the 5th (3) and 6th (1).

A 7:0 k:BB ratio tells the real story vs. 4 Er in 6.  I’m keeping an eye on him.

• Like 2

I echo the above sentiments completely. The 4 ER were against Houston as well.

With his home ballnpark he is definitely a watch:

• Like 1

Next start is vs. inept Giants offense @ Petco, I might give him a go, need to read more into his starts, though. Anyone know how his velocity was?

Guess I didn't pay any mind to him with Texas last year but the overall looks like 2017 was fugly for him. I can't think of anyone who has come back from TOC at a high level

edit: Had no idea Jordan Zimmerman had TOC. Ross avg velocity in 2015 was 94 and he's averaging ~92.6 2017 and now

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1

I'm not a master with pitch values by any means, but it looks like his slider was the pitch that made him money prior to the injury and it's nowhere near what it was then. 20 value 2013-2015 and a 3.3 and 1 the last two years. His fastball is slightly better than it was last year or even a few years ago, but he'll probably needs that slider back to be anything like the old Ross. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

I'm not a master with pitch values by any means, but it looks like his slider was the pitch that made him money prior to the injury and it's nowhere near what it was then. 20 value 2013-2015 and a 3.3 and 1 the last two years. His fastball is slightly better than it was last year or even a few years ago, but he'll probably needs that slider back to be anything like the old Ross. 

This is an accurate assesment coming someone who watched him this past game, but it's vastly improved from the past injury riddled years he's had. I could see it becoming better and better as the year progresses and he develops a better feel for it.

I added everywhere I could, but I only play in 16+ team leagues.

6 shutout innings: 7 h, 1 bb, 5 K

Stammen helped him out after giving up a single and a ROE to start the 7th

QS and in line for the win 

Edited by TheWrightStuff

2 minutes ago, Dunkaroos said:

Streamed him last night.  Thanks Tyson!

I want to add him so bad but i can't find the combination on who to drop to achieve the goal.

Have you ever had that problem?

that is the most common problem when trying to add a guy like TR. Lots of risk involved with him. Shakestreet, who are some of your other SP's? I'm debating on dropping Teheran for him...

8 minutes ago, sauceman11 said:

that is the most common problem when trying to add a guy like TR. Lots of risk involved with him. Shakestreet, who are some of your other SP's? I'm debating on dropping Teheran for him...

We really shouldn’t get too bench coaching or our posts will magically disappear. With my problem it’s not only a one step drop problem it’s getting a guy off the DL. (My 14 team rotisserie league) 

With TR another thing that comes into play if anybody is looking to add how many teams are in the league what other SPs are on the waiver etc... 

Got to see a few innings last night and the hammer is straight filthy again! That 6’-6” frame and downward plane had his 12/6 curve biting hard. It was Kevin Gross esqé last night. 18 IP and only 4 BB is encouraging for a guy coming back from TJ, and he was a nice SP2-3 type not long ago. 

Padres look scrappy and may surprise in 2018, I can see sneaky value at the back of  12 Teamers or more for a possible WW gem. 

their official site has him lined up for friday----you have a source that says he's actually skipped and not just pushed back?

On 4/14/2018 at 8:15 AM, LarryChip10 said:

Got to see a few innings last night and the hammer is straight filthy again! That 6’-6” frame and downward plane had his 12/6 curve biting hard. It was Kevin Gross esqé last night. 18 IP and only 4 BB is encouraging for a guy coming back from TJ, and he was a nice SP2-3 type not long ago. 

Padres look scrappy and may surprise in 2018, I can see sneaky value at the back of  12 Teamers or more for a possible WW gem. 

he didn't have TJ, he had that Thoracic Outlet thing

Edited by Golden Spikes

37 minutes ago, j14nelson said:

UGH, spot was skipped this week......

so what happened is due to Perdomo's suspension he served the 5 games, so Erlin got tossed in there to bump everyone back 1 day is all