Bastardo!

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Tl;dr

main point from football perspective is that play needs to tighten up if ran again. Trubisky, whether by design or bad footwork, spends far to long with his back to the defense, and doesn’t take in 75% of the field for the first three seconds of the play design. He needs to pivot in a different way or nagy needs to design the play so that a young QB learning to read defenses doesn’t blind himself for so long, as well as take him 11 Yards from the LOS. The window was smaller than it looks, but could’ve been at least potentially expanded had Trubisky worked through his reads and saw the field quicker. 

@ludawg23‘s comment that this is Trubiksys first read on the play is entirely false, and has no bearing if you watch the play. 

Edited by taobball
  • Thanks 1

not worried at all.  This happens with even the best TE's not named Gronkowski.  He'll be just fine and be the baller all of us savvy owners predicted him to be.  

Good job Nagy sitting out your starters week 3 of the preseason (really week 4 for them since they played in the Hall of Fame Game). It doesn't look like that offense needed the additional work.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bgar15 said:

Considering giving Kittle the start over him this week until we see more out of MT

I love owners that just chase last week's production at TE for the first 4 games or so.  See someone do it every year always makes me chuckle.

13 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

I love owners that just chase last week's production at TE for the first 4 games or so.  See someone do it every year always makes me chuckle.

I don't think contemplating starting Kittle over Burton is a crazy notion or an overreaction at all. His clear rapport with Jimmy G, Goodwin may miss Week 2, all signs pointing up.

Don't act like I'm advocating sitting Burton in favor of names like Ebron, Will Dissly, Jesse James. Now that would be an overreaction.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, bgar15 said:

I don't think contemplating starting Kittle over Burton is a crazy notion or an overreaction at all. His clear rapport with Jimmy G, Goodwin may miss Week 2, all signs pointing up.

Don't act like I'm advocating sitting Burton in favor of names like Ebron, Will Dissly, Jesse James. Now that would be an overreaction.

I agree.

For me, Kittle looks every bit as good as Burton.  The 49ers appear VERY weak at receiver to my eyes and I think Kittle stays heavily targeted.  

As for Burton, I don't know.  The Bears have other receivers and Trubinsky is very shaky.

I do still like Burton and think he's a guy they need to take advantage of with his athleticism.....But Kittle looks good too.

i'm a delanie walker owner and looking for a replacement via trade. Trying to decide between burton and kittle. burton seems like bigger upside however capped by trubisky while kittle has a decent/good qb in jimmy g and may be more consistent if he's his go to man. the price would be a allen robinson. or stream ben watson. 

18 hours ago, bgar15 said:

Agree with you, we've seen 6 games with Jimmy GQ and Kittle together and he has looked good. We've got a 1 game sample of Trubisky and Burton and not so good. If I had the choice it's easy and Kittle for me this week.

Eventually he will get the ball and have productive games. I don't like Trubisky at all, he is the 2nd coming of Bortles. But he made Zach Miller fantasy-relevant, so he should be able to connect with Burton in a much better designed offense. That said, I've warned you to temper expectations. 1000 yards was crazy from the get-go. But I'm not overreacting. In the end, he should return the mid-low TE1 value where he was drafted. Expectations just were too high.

Edited by frog34

4 hours ago, frog34 said:

Eventually he will get the ball and have productive games. I don't like Trubisky at all, he is the 2nd coming of Bortles. But he made Zach Miller fantasy-relevant, so he should be able to connect with Burton in a much better designed offense. That said, I've warned you to temper expectations. 1000 yards was crazy from the get-go. But I'm not overreacting. In the end, he should return the mid-low TE1 value where he was drafted. Expectations just were too high.

Yeah....I think expectations got way out on control based upon 1/2 of preseason football and people linking him to the Kelce role in a Nagy offense.

He's not Kelce.....

My prediction is 500-600 yards and 5-6 TD's just about like all the other TE's out there.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 7:02 AM, bgar15 said:

Correct. Not to mention its not like you are advocating playing Kittle over Kelce for one bad week. Burton also has no track record, but got a lot more hype. Kittle was heavily involved against potentially the best D and has at least an average QB. 

2 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

This is why preseason should be taken with a grain of salt. He went from potential sleeper to top 5 guaranteed. 

Yup. Classic "late-riser" whose hype snowballs to the point that he becomes a "must-have" and fantasy players reach on him in fear of missing out on the "next big thing". 

2 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

This is why preseason should be taken with a grain of salt. He went from potential sleeper to top 5 guaranteed. 

As should week 1 production.  Everything I saw and researched said I prefer Burton over Kittle.  I'm not throwing everything out the window because of week 1 scoreboard.

• Like 1

Just now, Kyle87 said:

As should week 1 production.  Everything I saw and researched said I prefer Burton over Kittle.  I'm not throwing everything out the window because of week 1 scoreboard.

That's fair.

Just now, Kyle87 said:

The fact that you even have to debate between the two kind of shows just how over-hyped Burton was though.

Burton's pre-season ADP: 67.1

Kittle's pre-season ADP: 127.3

Source: https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp/standard/12-team/tight-end

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

7 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Yup. Classic "late-riser" whose hype snowballs to the point that he becomes a "must-have" and fantasy players reach on him in fear of missing out on the "next big thing". 

6 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Just don't see this offense being as dynamic as many anticipate. Having "weapons" doesn't guarantee success. They have a lot to prove. Everyone sees what happened with the RAMS and assumes the same happens here. There are similarities, no doubt, but it's 2.0 AT BEST if everything clicks.

12 minutes ago, smeeze said:

The fact that you even have to debate between the two kind of shows just how over-hyped Burton was though.

So thats just definitively the case after one week? Everyone with burton is just wrong and made mistakes?

Im not really buying it. 

17 minutes ago, smeeze said:

He got over hyped closer and closer to the season.  Yes if you drafted him in the 6th round like his ADP apparently rose up to then... Idk shame on you for over spending.  He was an almost free TE with upside at one point, which is what I was looking for.

At the end of the day though I'm sticking with my pick rather than spending Fab on a TE that put up good numbers week 1.

Honestly last year I recall Hooper doing the same thing in week 1 and people were gushing about picking him up, only to watch him do nothing the rest of the season.  Then week 2 it was clay and the same story.  I'd rather ride it out a while with Burton than chase last week's numbers.

Edited by Kyle87

33 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

And this is why week one should be taken with a grain of salt.  Tough game on the road, vs. a team that defends the TE very well.  Oh, so much overreaction.

3 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

And this is why week one should be taken with a grain of salt.  Tough game on the road, vs. a team that defends the TE very well.  Oh, so much overreaction.

So you're saying you wouldn't drop Ertz/Kelce for Kittle? 

Kittle looks like a nice player, but everyone is overreacting to one game with Burton. The Bears got off to a great start and went into cruise control for much of the 2nd qtr/2nd half. He still managed 6 targets. While everyone is jumping on the Kittle bandwagon this week watch Burton go off. 

The targets, snap count and passing routes are all positive signs that production is coming.  He had 6 targets which is pretty solid for a TE and he is rarely off the field.

Obviously the main issue is his QB - Trubisky needs to just let it fly but I'm still hopeful for the season.  It's been one game!