thebrowns

2018 Rookie RB Class

I wanted to start a conversation regarding the 2018 RB Class; I have no scout skills and so I've come to this list by eyeballing players after I had read perspectives from just about every site I could get to.

Additionally, it is obvious that I talked myself into moving players up/down. Ronald Jones feels high and Bryce Love as RB7? That is why I'm asking for help.

I know, outside of Barkley, I might be totally off my rocker; that's why I am enlisting help.

1) Saquon Barkley, Penn State

2) Derrius Guice, LSU

3) Nick Chubb, Georgia

4) Ronald Jones, USC

5) Sony Michel, Georgia

6) Rashaad Penny, San Diego St.

7) Bryce Love, Stanford

8) Kerryon Johnson, Auburn

9) Royce Freeman, Oregon

10) Damien Harris, Alabama

11) Lavon Coleman, Washington

12) Kalen Ballage, Arizona St.

13) Josh Adams, Notre Dame

14) Myles Gaskin, Washington

15) Bo Scarbrough, Alabama

16) Akrum Wadley, Iowa

17) Nyheim Hines, NC State

18) John Kelly, Tennessee

19) Richie James, Middle Tennessee St

20) Mark Walton, Miami

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

I wanted to start a conversation regarding the 2018 RB Class; I have no scout skills and so I've come to this list by eyeballing players after I had read perspectives from just about every site I could get to.

Additionally, it is obvious that I talked myself into moving players up/down. Ronald Jones feels high and Bryce Love as RB7? That is why I'm asking for help.

I know, outside of Barkley, I might be totally off my rocker; that's why I am enlisting help.

1) Saquon Barkley, Penn State

2) Derrius Guice, LSU

3) Nick Chubb, Georgia

4) Ronald Jones, USC

5) Sony Michel, Georgia

6) Rashaad Penny, San Diego St.

7) Bryce Love, Stanford

8) Kerryon Johnson, Auburn

9) Royce Freeman, Oregon

10) Damien Harris, Alabama

11) Lavon Coleman, Washington

12) Kalen Ballage, Arizona St.

13) Josh Adams, Notre Dame

14) Myles Gaskin, Washington

15) Bo Scarbrough, Alabama

16) Akrum Wadley, Iowa

17) Nyheim Hines, NC State

18) John Kelly, Tennessee

19) Richie James, Middle Tennessee St

20) Mark Walton, Miami

Where is da Oklahoma guy who just put 200 on UGA?

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Going back to school, has sexual assault issue clouding his prospects and he only has a limited amount of games on his resume. 

Hard to gauge where he'd fall without the baggage but I'd put him around 8 on my list. Next year could be at or near the top.

what about Justice Hill from Ok St. He is a baller! ;) 

Update: Nvm he is a sophomore this year

Edited by kdpat15

6 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Stay away from Penn St rbs...+ USC qbs, Michigan wrs

Yeah, Penn State does not have a good track record with RBs in the NFL.  None currently playing I believe.  And the only ones I can remember are Ki-Jana Carter, Curtis Elis, and Curt Warner.

Somehow though, I think if Barkley is available in the late 1st, I might be tempted to pull the trigger.

13 minutes ago, psygolf said:

That always kills me ... citing position players from schools history when the coaching staffs have changed, philosophy has changed and the college game in general has changed drastically

Didn't Carson just retire from a 16 yr career ... until Rich Rod Michigan consistently put out decent nfl WR's... Larry Johnson was the last top rated Penn St RB so nothing was expected [edit: forgot about Enis the Penis]

Why not add Alabama RB's, they have underachieving resumes respectively compared to expectations. 

Each player is different as is the situation they get drafted into. Maybe you can say they don't get developed as well to the NFL style in certain programs but if they have the talent and desire they will learn.

Edited by howlin' 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CooL said:

Yeah, Penn State does not have a good track record with RBs in the NFL.  None currently playing I believe.  And the only ones I can remember are Ki-Jana Carter, Curtis Elis, and Curt Warner.

Somehow though, I think if Barkley is available in the late 1st, I might be tempted to pull the trigger.

Blair Thomas

Larry Johnson

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CooL said:

Franco Harris did OK....:)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, codog24 said:

over-rated...but yes, ok rb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

As others have said, he is staying another year. However, this list is draft eligible guys. I have Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma in the 21-25 range.

As we get closer to the draft I expect the list to become guys who are declared.

Edited by thebrowns
Clarify the purpose of thread

45 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Can't apply a sweeping generalization like that to every player. Barkley looks like a generational talent. Most Alabama pros underachieve, but that doesn't mean there aren't the exceptions like Julio and Ingram. Carson Palmer was a stud before his gruesome injury. Never looked the same after.

Those teams just haven't been as dominant in CFB recently. Which usually means the talent coming out isn't that good.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, devaster said:

Can't apply a sweeping generalization like that to every player. Barkley looks like a generational talent. Most Alabama pros underachieve, but that doesn't mean there aren't the exceptions like Julio and Ingram. Carson Palmer was a stud before his gruesome injury. Never looked the same after.

Those teams just haven't been as dominant in CFB recently. Which usually means the talent coming out isn't that good.

Them's my rules...I find it hard to draft someone with the hope of hitting on the "exception."

Shaun Alexander, Rashaad Johnson, Jarran Reed, Amari, Derrick Henry, CJ Moseley, Marlon Humphrey, Dre Kirkpatrick, just to name a few...

What is the standard for underachieving in the NFL according to you?

6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Shaun Alexander, Rashaad Johnson, Jarran Reed, Amari, Derrick Henry, CJ Moseley, Marlon Humphrey, Dre Kirkpatrick, just to name a few...

Of that list only Shaun Alexander was a RB that excelled which is what I mentioned. Ingram is another. So far the jury is out on Henry.

Lacy, T. Rich underwhelmed after promising starts. Most consider their ROI to be busts.

Devaster claimed that Tide players were washout mostly across the board. The topic @hand is RB's

Edited by howlin' 2

As

58 minutes ago, codog24 said:

As well as Curt Warner. Carter would have been good if not for his injury. But yeah, I'm hoping Barkley drops since he's a PSU RB. Doubt it'll affect anything though. 

Somebody please drop David Johnson, we all know the history of failure in the Northern Iowa RB position ( is that even where DJ came from ? )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I was mostly referencing the players under Saban. And it has been a discussion around the league that Alabama players come out of CFB worn out and already reached their peak. Hence many of them underachieve in the NFL. Alabama also has a ton of players in the NFL, so that probably plays a part in the perception. But of those ones you listed Kirkpatrick underachieved early in his career. Mosley has been up and down. Henry hasn't done anything yet (I think he can). Amari has struggled in all of his seasons with drops/inefficiency. I only listed a couple of the exceptions from Alabama that came to my mind, not all of the exceptions.

Anyway this is about RBs. The main concern is if a RB was run too much in CFB. Forte is one of the few to prove that trend wrong.

I was mostly referencing the players under Saban. And it has been a discussion around the league that Alabama players come out of CFB worn out and already reached their peak. Hence many of them underachieve in the NFL. Alabama also has a ton of players in the NFL, so that probably plays a part in the perception. But of those ones you listed Kirkpatrick underachieved early in his career. Mosley has been up and down. Henry hasn't done anything yet (I think he can). Amari has struggled in all of his seasons with drops/inefficiency. I only listed a couple of the exceptions from Alabama that came to my mind, not all of the exceptions.

Anyway this is about RBs. The main concern is if a RB was run too much in CFB. Forte is one of the few to prove that trend wrong.

Ok, lets talk RBs under Saban. He sent Glenn Coffee to the NFL, Mark Ingram, TJ Yeldon, Derrick Henry, eddie lacy, trent richardson, this year it will be Damien Harris, a Ingram clone will be next, Bo Scarborough, a derrick henry clobe after that. 

Ingram is top 10, Glenn Coffee left NFL to join special forces. TJ Yeldon is a serviceable cop back, i believe Henry will be top 10, probably top 5. Lacy won rookie of the year and ate himself out of the NFL, thats on Saban? Richardson wasnt committes to being an NFL player. Saban cant make these guys wanna be great but other than Lacy and Richardson who are Sabans RB busts from alabama?

Every RB mentioned split reps with each other so not as beat up as you woukd expect and certainly had not peaked.

Failed to mention kenyan drake, corey grant, alvin kamara, all commited and played for saban

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

35 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

Of that list only Shaun Alexander was a RB that excelled which is what I mentioned. Ingram is another. So far the jury is out on Henry.

Lacy, T. Rich underwhelmed after promising starts. Most consider their ROI to be busts.

Devaster claimed that Tide players were washout mostly across the board. The topic @hand is RB's

2013 Saban had Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Alvin Kamara, and TJ Yeldon on the same team.

?

• Like 1

Alabama has produced far above average RBs and I don't like them at all. They pump out so much that of course there are going to be a lot of busts. Most players from the draft end up being busts. 

• Like 2

If you have to go back to Franco Harris to find a decent Penn St. running back, well, that's not good.  We'll have to see where Saquon Barkley ends up...

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ok, lets talk RBs under Saban. He sent Glenn Coffee to the NFL, Mark Ingram, TJ Yeldon, Derrick Henry, eddie lacy, trent richardson, this year it will be Damien Harris, a Ingram clone will be next, Bo Scarborough, a derrick henry clobe after that. 

Ingram is top 10, Glenn Coffee left NFL to join special forces. TJ Yeldon is a serviceable cop back, i believe Henry will be top 10, probably top 5. Lacy won rookie of the year and ate himself out of the NFL, thats on Saban? Richardson wasnt committes to being an NFL player. Saban cant make these guys wanna be great but other than Lacy and Richardson who are Sabans RB busts from alabama?

Every RB mentioned split reps with each other so not as beat up as you woukd expect and certainly had not peaked.

Failed to mention kenyan drake, corey grant, alvin kamara, all commited and played for saban

At this point you are having your own discussion with yourself by making points that I was never discussing nor criticizing. Don't put words in my mouth.

20 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you have to go back to Franco Harris to find a decent Penn St. running back, well, that's not good.  We'll have to see where Saquon Barkley ends up...

I find that using a college to judge a running back instead of his tape and situation is beyond dumb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1