thebrowns

2018 Rookie RB Class

Recommended Posts

My somewhat short list:

SBarkley - PSt

NChubb - GA

DGuice - LSU

SMichel - GA

KBallage - ASt

RFreeman - OR

KJohnson - AU

 

Small school prospect (not invited to the combine):

Martez Carter - Grambling State 5'09" 205lbs  *4.45 40 time at GSt facility. For a size/speed comparison...RB Ray Rice - listed at 5'09" 195lbs, and ran a 4.46 40 at the Combine.

 

JAdams - ND

DWilliams - LSU

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barkley, and then the rest.  I think that 2nd tier doesn't stand out that much compared to guys in later rounds.  I think there will be a lot of value later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, General Gannicus said:

 

I like Barkley and I own the #1 Pick in this August's draft so I'm a bit biased, but I'm hoping he doesn't go to the Browns because if they end up with another meh rookie qb it will hurt his career big time so I'd much prefer to see him on the Colts with a "healthy" Luck etc...

 

Keep in mind Duke Johnson was a top 10 PPR back this year with the Browns despite horrid (and that's being kind) QB play.  Johnson can't hold Barkley's pads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2018 at 5:41 PM, psygolf said:

Too bad he isn't a little faster...people would be forecasting Bo 2.0

 

He'd have to be in the low 2s to get that comparison. 

 

I don't think Bo will ever get a comparison from anyone we'll ever see coming out. 

 

Especially with laser timed 40s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

He'd have to be in the low 2s to get that comparison. 

 

I don't think Bo will ever get a comparison from anyone we'll ever see coming out. 

 

Especially with laser timed 40s.

I was thinking about laser times today...they do now get the benefit of not having the clock start until the make their 1st move.  Back in Bo's day you had to react to a gun/whistle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2018 at 3:41 PM, psygolf said:

Too bad he isn't a little faster...people would be forecasting Bo 2.0

 

Nowhere near the power of Bo.

 

Closest thing to Bo was AD...But AD wasn't as 40 fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sternes said:

I think that 2nd tier doesn't stand out that much compared to guys in later rounds.  I think there will be a lot of value later.

 

I agree there will be value later, but disagree that the 2nd tier doesn't stand out.  Guice, Michel, Chubb, Penny, and Jones look like a clear cut tier of potential superstars.  I see Lynch, McCoy, Gore, Murray, and Charles -- perennial dependable stud RBs that could own the early rounds of fantasy drafts for years.

 

Kerryon, Samuels, Ballage, Freeman, Adams, Scarborough, Hines, Williams, Kelly ....  certainly all talented in their own right.  Many will have productive NFL careers.  Maybe one or two breaks out.  But IMO they are not in the same tier as those other guys.

 

Good lord this draft is loaded though.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

 

I agree there will be value later, but disagree that the 2nd tier doesn't stand out.  Guice, Michel, Chubb, Penny, and Jones look like a clear cut tier of potential superstars.  I see Lynch, McCoy, Gore, Murray, and Charles -- perennial dependable stud RBs that could own the early rounds of fantasy drafts for years.

 

Kerryon, Samuels, Ballage, Freeman, Adams, Scarborough, Hines, Williams, Kelly ....  certainly all talented in their own right.  Many will have productive NFL careers.  Maybe one or two breaks out.  But IMO they are not in the same tier as those other guys.

 

Good lord this draft is loaded though.

 

Exactly, sleep on this RB class at your own risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Small school prospect (not invited to the combine):

Martez Carter - Grambling State 5'09" 205lbs  *4.45 40 time at GSt facility. For a size/speed comparison...RB Ray Rice - listed at 5'09" 195lbs, and ran a 4.46 40 at the Combine.

 

 

 

 

 

Anyone got any info/thoughts on this ^ guy

 

The most in depth analysis, beyond game tape, I've come across so far: http://www.pass2win.com/martez-carter.html

*compares him to former Philly RB, Brian Westbrook B)

 

Edited by FollowTheLeader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barkley is overrated as a pure runner IMO. If he learns to block, his pass game chops will more than make up for it though. He is uncoverable by a LB. 

 

I think Chubb will be a better pro than college player.

Edited by AJJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, petekrum said:

 

Exactly, sleep on this RB class at your own risk.

 

I have 4 first round picks and will be taking 4 RBs... 1.06, 1.09, 1.10 and 1.12. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

 

I have 4 first round picks and will be taking 4 RBs... 1.06, 1.09, 1.10 and 1.12. 

Who are you targeting at 1.06/9/10?   Curious because I have 1.07 and 1.10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 9:56 AM, FollowTheLeader said:

Small school prospect (not invited to the combine):

Martez Carter - Grambling State 5'09" 205lbs  *4.45 40 time at GSt facility. For a size/speed comparison...RB Ray Rice - listed at 5'09" 195lbs, and ran a 4.46 40 at the Combine.

 

5 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

 

Anyone got any info/thoughts on this ^ guy

 

The most in depth analysis, beyond game tape, I've come across so far: http://www.pass2win.com/martez-carter.html

*compares him to former Philly RB, Brian Westbrook B)

 

 

 that sounds phenomenal. I'd like info on chase Edmonds from Fordham too. These small school guys could be great value due to the depth this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching some tape on josh adams from ND

 

Hes not as big, but his running style is very reminiscent of latavius murray. One-cut, downhill runner.  Fair vision, can definatley exploit an opening when he sees it. A little stiff in the hips, limited laterally and a little bit upright, takes a little bit to get going but he does seem to have some speed once he kicks it into gear.

 

Trying to figure out how to rank these 3

 

Josh Adams, John Kelly, Mark Walton

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Watching some tape on josh adams from ND

 

Hes not as big, but his running style is very reminiscent of latavius murray. One-cut, downhill runner.  Fair vision, can definatley exploit an opening when he sees it. A little stiff in the hips, limited laterally and a little bit upright, takes a little bit to get going but he does seem to have some speed once he kicks it into gear.

 

Trying to figure out how to rank these 3

 

Josh Adams, John Kelly, Mark Walton

 

Snarky answer - see what team they end up on. 

 

In a vacuum I'd have Kelly at the top given his receiving chops.  I still like the player despite his awful combine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AJJones said:

Barkley is overrated as a pure runner IMO. 

post reported

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 8:57 PM, Sternes said:

Barkley, and then the rest.  I think that 2nd tier doesn't stand out that much compared to guys in later rounds.  I think there will be a lot of value later.

 

Landing spot will decide a lot for me after Barkley, who is the greatest fantasy prospect I have ever seen. And I have no shares of 1.1 this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Watching some tape on josh adams from ND

 

Hes not as big, but his running style is very reminiscent of latavius murray. One-cut, downhill runner.  Fair vision, can definatley exploit an opening when he sees it. A little stiff in the hips, limited laterally and a little bit upright, takes a little bit to get going but he does seem to have some speed once he kicks it into gear.

 

Trying to figure out how to rank these 3

 

Josh Adams, John Kelly, Mark Walton

 

...just personal preference, but I'd draft Josh Adams; he makes the end of my "somewhat short list," (first post on this page), and I'd wait, and see where Kelly lands. There are only about 13 RBs I'd draft based off talent/landing spot, and Walton doesn't crack that list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 4:17 PM, The Answer said:

Who are you targeting at 1.06/9/10?   Curious because I have 1.07 and 1.10

 

All RBs. Assuming good landing spots for all. Then at 1.06 hoping Chubb/Penny/Michel (less likely) fall to me. At 1.09, maybe Ronald Jones since he’s been falling post combine. I don’t love him so might cross him off my lists.  John Kelly, Justin Jackson, or Kellen Ballage is in the mix at 1.09. At 1.12 I might be tempted to draft DJ Moore if he is sitting there. Maybe Mark Walton who I still really like.

Edited by Wild Thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 3:17 PM, The Answer said:

Who are you targeting at 1.06/9/10?   Curious because I have 1.07 and 1.10

 

18 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

 

All RBs. Assuming good landing spots for all. Then at 1.06 hoping Chubb/Penny/Michel (less likely) fall to me. At 1.09, maybe Ronald Jones since he’s been falling post combine. I don’t love him so might cross him off my lists.  John Kelly, Justin Jackson, or Kellen Ballage is in the mix at 1.09. At 1.12 I might be tempted to draft DJ Moore if he is sitting there. Maybe Mark Walton who I still really like.

 

[Hate putting a disclaimer; Landing Spot Matters]

 

I'm hoping that Chubb will be available at 5-7 with Sutton and a few others having a strong combine. Goedert had a great showing and someone will inevitably see Evan Engram in him. Running back is so hard to hit on that it obviously is the position to throw the most darts at. I'd be ecstatic with getting Chubb and Penny in picks 1.06-1.10. ATM it is possible.

 

No way Michel drops past 1.03 unless he has an awful landing spot... but no team is drafting him to sit behind a stud RB. 

 

I think that Walton is going to be available for a lot of teams in the late 2nd and early 3rd rounds of dynasty drafts. He is going to be one of my favorite sleepers this year; the combine fools a lot of people.

 

I think that Ronald Jones is a mid second. Someone will pick him up in the mid first. Which is awesome, same with Ballage. I want zero shares of those guys. I saw someone refer to Ballage as the Josh Allen of RBs. Raw athletic traits with undeveloped skill. 

 

If a WR is taken in the first it probably should be Moore or Washington. I'd wait on Washington because most people are going to let him fall due to his "slow" 40. His film is great, don't let the 40 peel you off; just sit back for the value.

 

I try not to double count combine scores (that is how players get over-drafted; see Ballage, Kalen).  I liked Royce Freeman because of his vision and patience. Turns out he is a decent athlete in his underwear. I really think he has potential to put together two-three solid seasons at the start of his career. If I can get him at 11-16 I am. I'll capitalize on his 2018 production to my team and then flip him for a 2019 or 2020 first rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

I think that Walton is going to be available for a lot of teams in the late 2nd and early 3rd rounds of dynasty drafts. He is going to be one of my favorite sleepers this year; the combine fools a lot of people.

 

Kind of small.  I could see him as a Deandre Washington type of guy who gets a little bit of buzz but probably nothing more than a backup his whole career.  I don't really see a path to Fantasy RB1 status for him.  Kind of similar size to Shady but he's an exception to the rule IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

 

Kind of small.  I could see him as a Deandre Washington type of guy who gets a little bit of buzz but probably nothing more than a backup his whole career.  I don't really see a path to Fantasy RB1 status for him.  Kind of similar size to Shady but he's an exception to the rule IMO.

 

That is fair regarding Walton. I'm also concerned about his injury history. I guess it is important to note that I prefer to play 16 team leagues so when I think of him in the second to third I'm thinking picks 28-44. Few RB1 or RB2s. I'm looking for occasional flex contributors there. Someone I can flip for picks or include as a throw-in for a RB1/WR1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thebrowns said:

 

I'm hoping that Chubb will be available at 5-7 with Sutton and a few others having a strong combine. Goedert had a great showing and someone will inevitably see Evan Engram in him. Running back is so hard to hit on that it obviously is the position to throw the most darts at. I'd be ecstatic with getting Chubb and Penny in picks 1.06-1.10. ATM it is possible...

 

No way Michel drops past 1.03 unless he has an awful landing spot... but no team is drafting him to sit behind a stud RB...

 

 

..I think that Ronald Jones is a mid second. Someone will pick him up in the mid first. Which is awesome, same with Ballage. I want zero shares of those guys. I saw someone refer to Ballage as the Josh Allen of RBs. Raw athletic traits with undeveloped skill. 

 

If a WR is taken in the first it probably should be Moore or Washington. I'd wait on Washington because most people are going to let him fall due to his "slow" 40. His film is great, don't let the 40 peel you off; just sit back for the value.

 

 

I gotta think it will be damn near impossible to land chubb, MAYBE penny at 1.06 of a rookie. I think its going to be all rbs, unless maybe sutton makes an appearance. Think theres a very real chance michel passes 1.03 tho. But i do agree ronald jones is going first round for sure, even if some feel he doesnt belong there.

 

If i were to take a wild stab, think the top 6 will consist of either

Barkley, Guice, Jones, Michel, Chubb, Sutton, Penny

 

Second half of first probably consist of either

Moore, Ridley, Kirk, St.Brown, Kerryon, Royce, Chark, Gallup

 

As much as i like mark andrews or goedert, just hard to see a TE taken with the usual time it takes for a TE to get acclimated, especially if he doesnt block well, and the talent at skill positions still available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 10:38 AM, Lord_Varys said:

 

Kind of small.  I could see him as a Deandre Washington type of guy who gets a little bit of buzz but probably nothing more than a backup his whole career.  I don't really see a path to Fantasy RB1 status for him.  Kind of similar size to Shady but he's an exception to the rule IMO.

Meh, I see why people are drawn to Walton, but I'll take Chase Edmonds or Martez Carter a round or so later. I feel like either of these guys have just as much upside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.