thebrowns

2018 Rookie RB Class

2 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

Depends on the format .

Standard ... could be 3-4. RB's going to Clev, NYG,DET,INDY, WASH,SF,TB even Car or Oak if they move on from or J.Stew / Marshawn retire could be spots where a rookie could run off with the bulk of carries. Most already have receiving backs that cap the potential to be a 3down RB. GB could also but they just used 3 picks on RB's so I doubt they go the draft route. Might bring in a Crowell type FA vet to compete for the old Fat Eddie pounder role.

In a PPR lg probably only 1-2 . Barkley is the obvious and usually at least one other pops up that you didn't see coming. Michel could be that kind of a guy if he somehow ends up in Indy or with the NYG as the pass catching 3rd down guy along with primary running game role. Like McCaffrey I don't see Sony as the GL back but I could easily see Michel as more of the main man carrying the rock.

Raiders, Giants, TB, Jets, Texans, Titans, Seattle, Texans, Detriot, Washington are all teams that I doubt will pass on a talented rb, especially since the price is cheap.

are there seriously discussions around this year's Penn St running back being iffy because hes from Penn St? this guy is a generational talent and highly regarded as the most complete back in years..good luck though.

1 hour ago, Rizzle630 said:

are there seriously discussions around this year's Penn St running back being iffy because hes from Penn St? this guy is a generational talent and highly regarded as the most complete back in years..good luck though.

No one is questioning the talent, he was just born under a bad sign.

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

Raiders, Giants, TB, Jets, Texans, Titans, Seattle, Texans, Detriot, Washington are all teams that I doubt will pass on a talented rb, especially since the price is cheap.

I didn't think the Texans with Miller and Foreman investment (unless Foreman injury is more severe) but you really must not like them. You listed them twice :lol:

Titans??? They have the all world Derrick Henry. Once he digs in his "Cleats" ... he can run, catch ... hell, if  Mariota can do it I'm sure Henry can throw it to himself too. You don't need anyone but the center to hike the ball and DH does all the rest by himself. Unless Malarkey happens to put Murray in @ center then he will have Henry hand off to Murray instead.

16 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Nope. 

Jets pick before the Bears, you lost.

20 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Jets pick before the Bears, you lost.

Nope. Bears didn't win more games than the Jets. Nice try, though. 

Next time you you want me gone, have the courage to bet against me yourself. 

• Haha 1

K Johnson will be the best in this draft. Great vision and the best pass blocker in the group. He's had some injuries but can carry the load and a true 3 down back.

Edited by jordan6908

46 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Nope. Bears didn't win more games than the Jets. Nice try, though. 

Next time you you want me gone, have the courage to bet against me yourself. 

I can handle the tie between the bear & jet...

...because of the Giants.

?

17 hours ago, psygolf said:

How many rookie rbs will outproduce McCaffrey next season...1-3?

Almost 1100 yards, 8 tds

I could see 3 doing it.  Barkley, barring injury, almost a lock.  Chubb in the right spot is likely.  Michel I'm high on.  Penny with the right opportunity maybe

1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Almost 1100 yards, 8 tds

I could see 3 doing it.  Barkley, barring injury, almost a lock.  Chubb in the right spot is likely.  Michel I'm high on.  Penny with the right opportunity maybe

out-producing him next year, not what he did this year.

8 hours ago, psygolf said:

out-producing him next year, not what he did this year.

Oh, next year...

Only guys I'm real confident in are Barkley and Michel.  Barkley is almost certain to be drafted and played as a 3 down horse, so unless he goes to Indy (entirely possible, though I think they trade back or take a LT - Either McGlinchey or Brown) he should be able to put up numbers approaching Zeke's rookie year, with maybe Fournette's season stat line as a floor. 

Michel is gonna need a little help and I don't think he'll likely get 3 down work immediately, unless he goes to the Steelers (minus Bell) at the end of the first, a scenario that makes a lot of sense to me.

Chubb needs a line that opens holes for him.  He was terrible tonight, not sticking to the design and trying to bounce outside every time, resulting in too many lost yards.  If he goes to Detroit or Indy, I'd be hard pressed to predict a very big year for him.

McCaffrey should improve on his yardage next year with similar TD production.  Maybe he catches more passes, but main difference should be 200ish more rushing yards.  Personnel will be a big deal for him.  Samuel will be coming back and should have a larger role.  Don't know Stewart's situation. If he's gone next year, I wonder if CMac can hold up with significantly more carries.  Could see him getting dinged up throughout. If he gets 40-50 more carries, should be okay.  75+ more carries could be risky.

For drafting purposes, I'd rank them:

Barkley

McCaffrey 

Michel

Penny

Chubb

No basis for the Penny pick, maybe it's his name bolstering the hype I keep hearing.  Beyond Barkley and McCaffrey, the rest are very situational.  And if Barkley goes to the Colts, it could drop him to a coin flip vs McCaffrey. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Does Chubb remind anyone of a young J. Stew?

I don't know.  Did JStew f-up his teams title hopes by trying to bounce every carry outside and losing yards each time?

F Bama

• Like 1

After Barkley, Guice will be the best of the bunch. Mark it down. 

8 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I don't know.  Did JStew f-up his teams title hopes by trying to bounce every carry outside and losing yards each time?

F Bama

I guess the comp is his build/strength/running style. Kind of jag. But I haven't scouted him that much.

He's no Sony! (kind of reminds me of smaller Tevin Coleman).

• Like 1

It's early, and I know this will probably change closer to the draft, but I don't think Royce Freeman is getting enough love in this thread. He just looks very fleet footed for a 6'0" 229 lb back. Guy can catch the ball too. 

12 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

It's early, and I know this will probably change closer to the draft, but I don't think Royce Freeman is getting enough love in this thread. He just looks very fleet footed for a 6'0" 229 lb back. Guy can catch the ball too. 

reminds me of a bigger version of LT

6 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I guess the comp is his build/strength/running style. Kind of jag. But I haven't scouted him that much.

He's no Sony! (kind of reminds me of smaller Tevin Coleman).

Sony is the better prospect.  Didn't think so until this year, but it became obvious as the season went on (UGA fan, if you couldn't tell).

Chubb is a little better than a jag but can't create on his own.  He's more explosive  (straight line) than Stewart and runs harder, but doesn't have the agility or receiving chops that JS tew had coming out.  Chubb is pretty durable, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2018 at 11:19 AM, petekrum said:

Please let me be in leagues that avoid Barkley cause he went to PSU. 

He'll go top 5 in my three keeper 14 teamer. 

On 1/8/2018 at 11:49 PM, SadFaceHappy said:

No basis for the Penny pick, maybe it's his name bolstering the hype I keep hearing.  Beyond Barkley and McCaffrey, the rest are very situational.  And if Barkley goes to the Colts, it could drop him to a coin flip vs McCaffrey. 

We need to get you acquainted with the basis!  If Penny didn't play for SDSU, he'd be consensus top 3 RB prospect IMO.  He's a true back, and can do it all.  Good blocker, incredible breakaway speed, vision, and can return kicks.  2200 yards and 28 TD's last year.  He's one of those backs that can be on his own 10 and it looks like he's just staring at the opposite endzone the whole way.  Exceptional talent.

Edited by kdko
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, and it was a damn crime that he was left off the Heisman and Doak Walker list

What is Saquon Barkley really worth?   With talk of him being the best prospect in last 10 years, should I be looking to trade up for him?  I have the 2,3,12 & 16 picks in a dynasty draft. RBs on my roster include C Thompson, Riddick, & M Davis. Without a trade up I’m considering Guice, Jones, Ballage, and WR (if Washington, Ridley, Sutton still available) or Andrews at TE. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Jinxotx said:

What is Saquon Barkley really worth?   With talk of him being the best prospect in last 10 years, should I be looking to trade up for him?  I have the 2,3,12 & 16 picks in a dynasty draft. RBs on my roster include C Thompson, Riddick, & M Davis. Without a trade up I’m considering Guice, Jones, Ballage, and WR (if Washington, Ridley, Sutton still available) or Andrews at TE. Thoughts?

See where he lands first before dealing for the pick. 

4 hours ago, kdko said:

We need to get you acquainted with the basis!  If Penny didn't play for SDSU, he'd be consensus top 3 RB prospect IMO.  He's a true back, and can do it all.  Good blocker, incredible breakaway speed, vision, and can return kicks.  2200 yards and 28 TD's last year.  He's one of those backs that can be on his own 10 and it looks like he's just staring at the opposite endzone the whole way.  Exceptional talent.

Can he catch?

Can he pass block? 

If he's not excellent at both then he can't really "do it all".