thebrowns

2018 Rookie RB Class

17 hours ago, wonderbread said:

It's early, and I know this will probably change closer to the draft, but I don't think Royce Freeman is getting enough love in this thread. He just looks very fleet footed for a 6'0" 229 lb back. Guy can catch the ball too. 

I agree. Playing in Oregon probably hurts him because a lot of people don’t see him play.

2 hours ago, Jinxotx said:

What is Saquon Barkley really worth?   With talk of him being the best prospect in last 10 years, should I be looking to trade up for him?  I have the 2,3,12 & 16 picks in a dynasty draft. RBs on my roster include C Thompson, Riddick, & M Davis. Without a trade up I’m considering Guice, Jones, Ballage, and WR (if Washington, Ridley, Sutton still available) or Andrews at TE. Thoughts?

As bad as your RBs are I’d keep the 2 and 3 and grab Guice and one of Chubb, Michel, Jones, or Penny depending on where they land. You don’t have a legit RB on your roster, you need to come out of this draft with two.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Can he catch?

Can he pass block? 

If he's not excellent at both then he can't really "do it all".

Yup, he can from what I've seen.  

On 1/4/2018 at 1:27 PM, Gohawks said:

I find that using a college to judge a running back instead of his tape and situation is beyond dumb.

No one is stopping you from walking under a ladder...just pointing it out.

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

See where he lands first before dealing for the pick. 

??  I thought you drafted all of your 2018 teams already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zacharyringer12 said:

Damien Harris returning to Alabama, first round just lost a RB

Don't worry because bo scarborough declared and he's got some high comparisons.

“Bo Scarbrough, he’s gonna be great,” defensive tackle Jarran Reed said. “His time is coming. He’s a great runner. He’s another Derrick (Henry). He’s also shifty, and he’ll definitely break it and take it to the house.”

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

??  I thought you drafted all of your 2018 teams already.

?

Not yet...

2 hours ago, zacharyringer12 said:

Damien Harris returning to Alabama, first round just lost a RB

Going back to Bama is a mistake. He's going to be 2nd rd on his own team. Najee is going to take over the lead role. If he doesn't believe that can happen tell him to go ask his backup. BO KNOWS !

Damien won't even win the Harris poll on Tuscaloosa :blink: 

2 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

“Bo Scarbrough, he’s gonna be great,” defensive tackle Jarran Reed said. “His time is coming. He’s a great runner. He’s another Derrick (Henry). He’s also shifty, and he’ll definitely break it and take it to the house.”

When I read this I thought it said "Bo Scarbrough is gonna be a great defensive tackle". 

Which could also be true.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

Not a lot of Love out there

You noticed that too. 

15 hours ago, psygolf said:

Not a lot of Love out there

I like his production, but I'm always a little suspect of sub 200lb guys. Not saying they can't be successful, but very few are. I would feel better about him if he caught the ball more as well (Only 6 receptions in 2017).

Obviously landing spots for RB's make a huge difference in FF value and production.  Looking at the upcoming year, which teams drafting a RB will make for the most productive fantasy RB's?  I'm also curious as to the teams that could turn a top talent into an average back due to scheme, OL, coaching, etc. This is only my 2nd year playing FF, so I'm curious what the thought processes are in evaluating talent and how important size is versus speed for RB's, which seems to be the position you have to have in order to compete for championships.  For instance, B. Love.  He might have the fastest 40, but will he being undersized cause you to draft a bigger RB?  When I look at the highlights, all of the top backs look great. Maybe it's a crap shoot. 

Also, curious as to how you would rank the following RB's and why:  Barkley, Chubb, Guice, Love, Jones, Penny, Ballage, Michel, Freeman and Kelly. 

From what I've seen and read, here's what I'm thinking: 

1) Barkley - Has the speed and receiving and hype

2) Guice - Concerned with No Receiving production

3) Jones- Seems to have it all except for the size

4) Chubb - Worried about injuries - No receiving

5) Penny- Seems to have it all - could be a top 3 RB in class - Seems like on no one's radar maybe b/c of SDSU. 

6) Ballage - I can't figure with his size and speed why no one is talking about him.  He's faster than Tyreek Hill!  And he can catch the ball.

7) Michel - Thinking he could be more of a C. Thompson and not a 3 down back.

8) Love -  Fast but undersized

9) Freeman - Big back - haven't seen him play

10) Kelly - Could see him as the next Kamara

6 minutes ago, Jinxotx said:

Obviously landing spots for RB's make a huge difference in FF value and production.  Looking at the upcoming year, which teams drafting a RB will make for the most productive fantasy RB's?  I'm also curious as to the teams that could turn a top talent into an average back due to scheme, OL, coaching, etc. This is only my 2nd year playing FF, so I'm curious what the thought processes are in evaluating talent and how important size is versus speed for RB's, which seems to be the position you have to have in order to compete for championships.  For instance, B. Love.  He might have the fastest 40, but will he being undersized cause you to draft a bigger RB?  When I look at the highlights, all of the top backs look great. Maybe it's a crap shoot. 

Also, curious as to how you would rank the following RB's and why:  Barkley, Chubb, Guice, Love, Jones, Penny, Ballage, Michel, Freeman and Kelly. 

5) Penny- Seems to have it all - could be a top 3 RB in class - Seems like on no one's radar maybe b/c of SDSU. 

6) Ballage - I can't figure with his size and speed why no one is talking about him.  He's faster than Tyreek Hill!  And he can catch the ball.

Michel is 5’11” 217, he can easily handle a three down role in my opinion. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jinxotx said:

Source?

15 hours ago, petekrum said:

Michel is 5’11” 217, he can easily handle a three down role in my opinion. 

I bet most scouts already have Michel ahead of Chubb.  Michel showed in the playoffs that he can do it all.  In the title game, his toughness was the latest revelation.  Personally, I like his game, alot.

In response to the question of best landing spots for rookie RBs (free agency notwithstanding), I nominate Oakland, NYG, Washington, TB and (yes) Chicago.  I omit Cleveland for personal reasons (I believe Hue is a fraud and is next to go).

Folks will say "why the Bears" when Howard is there.  With the new CS, I believe that an explosive, all down rookie RB will have a real shot at grabbing the gig (which will be way more dynamic than we're used to).  The OL should remain solid there as well.  Just my view of the changes that are well underway there.  Pace has taken alot of heat, but I believe that fans and the media should remain open minded to what he is doing.  He may be more methodolical than some would like, but he's made defensible decisions given what his vision seems to be (including the trade up to make sure he landed Trubisky).

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jinxotx said:

I'm hoping that Michel falls in the draft and fantasy drafts.  I think he is my #3 behind Barkley and Guice.  He is the one that reminds me of Kamara.  Why is Love down on lists?  I thought he was widely considered #2 behind Barkley at the beginning of the year?  Other than going to Tennessee I never really even heard of John Kelly until this post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elwood333 said:

I'm hoping that Michel falls in the draft and fantasy drafts.  I think he is my #3 behind Barkley and Guice.  He is the one that reminds me of Kamara.  Why is Love down on lists?  I thought he was widely considered #2 behind Barkley at the beginning of the year?  Other than going to Tennessee I never really even heard of John Kelly until this post.

Love is pretty small, only around 200 lbs. 

24 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Love is pretty small, only around 200 lbs. 

If love is truly 200 lbs, I feel a lot better about him. Rotoworld has him listed at 5'10" 184. I'm waiting until the Combine to see what he measures/weighs.

Don't really watch too much of the college game so I appreciate this thread as I only had really seen the top guys play.  Just checking out the highlight reels I'm going to be keeping an eye on Walton, Kelly, and Ballage. 

All three bring a lot of physicality.  Walton has some nice hands, good vision.  Kelly can move vertically really well, lots of intensity.  Ballage, not exactly nifty, but he's pretty crafty and he's looks to be a big hitter, plenty fast.

14 hours ago, dogfightgiggle said:

Don't really watch too much of the college game so I appreciate this thread as I only had really seen the top guys play.  Just checking out the highlight reels I'm going to be keeping an eye on Walton, Kelly, and Ballage. 

All three bring a lot of physicality.  Walton has some nice hands, good vision.  Kelly can move vertically really well, lots of intensity.  Ballage, not exactly nifty, but he's pretty crafty and he's looks to be a big hitter, plenty fast.

Define nifty and crafty.

7 hours ago, ccimore said:

Define nifty and crafty.

Nifty is a super agile dude ala Barry.  Crafty is a less gifted athlete who just finds a way.  So Ballage hurdling over tacklers rather than juking them is crafty to me.