thebrowns

2018 Rookie RB Class

On 1/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, Jinxotx said:

Obviously landing spots for RB's make a huge difference in FF value and production.  Looking at the upcoming year, which teams drafting a RB will make for the most productive fantasy RB's?  I'm also curious as to the teams that could turn a top talent into an average back due to scheme, OL, coaching, etc. This is only my 2nd year playing FF, so I'm curious what the thought processes are in evaluating talent and how important size is versus speed for RB's, which seems to be the position you have to have in order to compete for championships.  For instance, B. Love.  He might have the fastest 40, but will he being undersized cause you to draft a bigger RB?  When I look at the highlights, all of the top backs look great. Maybe it's a crap shoot. 

Also, curious as to how you would rank the following RB's and why:  Barkley, Chubb, Guice, Love, Jones, Penny, Ballage, Michel, Freeman and Kelly. 

From what I've seen and read, here's what I'm thinking: 

1) Barkley - Has the speed and receiving and hype

2) Guice - Concerned with No Receiving production

3) Jones- Seems to have it all except for the size

4) Chubb - Worried about injuries - No receiving

5) Penny- Seems to have it all - could be a top 3 RB in class - Seems like on no one's radar maybe b/c of SDSU. 

6) Ballage - I can't figure with his size and speed why no one is talking about him.  He's faster than Tyreek Hill!  And he can catch the ball.

7) Michel - Thinking he could be more of a C. Thompson and not a 3 down back.

8) Love -  Fast but undersized

9) Freeman - Big back - haven't seen him play

10) Kelly - Could see him as the next Kamara

Kelly isn't anything like Kamara. They're different players. 

Michel like Chris Thompson? What? Dude has an all around skill set. He's a smart runner good between the tackles and a great receiver. One of the highest upsides in this receiving class. 

You have Freeman at 9 but haven't seen him play. That makes your list a little questionable..... 

• Like 3

On 1/4/2018 at 2:27 PM, Gohawks said:

I find that using a college to judge a running back instead of his tape and situation is beyond dumb.

x10000000000

• Like 1

11 hours ago, boltup15 said:

Michel like Chris Thompson? What? Dude has an all around skill set. He's a smart runner good between the tackles and a great receiver. One of the highest upsides in this receiving class. 

You have Freeman at 9 but haven't seen him play. That makes your list a little questionable..... 

Kelly was recently hospitalized for falling off of a 30 foot retaining wall while having a drunken argument with his GF. Not sure how bad the injury was, but I wonder if he'll even be drafted.

12 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

x10000000000

"times 10 million"...is that a new millennial catch phrase? 

1 hour ago, wonderbread said:

Bryce Love returning to school. Bummer.

Made the right choice. Needs to bulk up and prove he’s a receiving threat. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Made the right choice. Needs to bulk up and prove he’s a receiving threat. 

He's never going to be a banger, but he hasn't shown himself to be fragile. A scout should be able to tell the GM whether he can catch a football. 

So *if he puts up another 2400 yards with more yards coming from dump-offs, does he gain anything -?   He might move up the draft a bit, *if it's a weaker class...not worth the injury risk, imo.

2 minutes ago, psygolf said:

He's never going to be a banger, but he hasn't shown himself to be fragile. A scout should be able to tell the GM whether he can catch a football. 

So *if he puts up another 2400 yards with more yards coming from dump-offs, does he gain anything -?   He might move up the draft a bit, *if it's a weaker class...not worth the injury risk, imo.

I think he saw where he was being projected in this strong RB class and decided he could improve his stock. If he realistically wants to be a feature NFL back he’s gotta get that weight up over 200. I see your point about the injury risk though.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:25 PM, boltup15 said:

IMO, Kelly was a dynamic player at TN.  From a fantasy perspective, my thinking was the true value would be in a RB that could catch the ball.   What is L. Bell's FF value if you take his receiving away?  This is what makes him special,  IMO.  This was my thought on Michel as well.  For whatever reason, I viewed his FF value as a receiver, much like a C. Thompson; obviously I was mistaken.  Thank you for pointing that out.  As for Freeman, I did not see one Oregon game this year, and all I've seen is highlights.  He's a big back that appears to have decent speed.

I am fairly new to fantasy football, and trying to learn as much as I can, which is where boards like this can help and bring new perspectives.  What would be your top 10 Rookie RB's list Boltup, or anyone else for that matter?  Give a newbie proper insight on picks and concerns.  From what I see from these forums , people love to sit back and criticize.  Put some thought into an argument and put your breakdown out.

As for a source on Ballage,  I can't remember where I saw the stat, but he was supposedly clocked at 23 mph, which was higher than Tyreek.

2 hours ago, Jinxotx said:

As for a source on Ballage,  I can't remember where I saw the stat, but he was supposedly clocked at 23 mph, which was higher than Tyreek.

Ballage also only had one run for over 20 yards on 157 carries this season. 

But my rankings arent done. Still have a lot of work to do and combine might have a slight effect on my views on some of these RB's. 

23 hours ago, wonderbread said:

Kelly was recently hospitalized for falling off of a 30 foot retaining wall while having a drunken argument with his GF. Not sure how bad the injury was, but I wonder if he'll even be drafted.

Wrong Kelly, there are two Tennessee Kelly's. John Kelly didn't get hurt. John Kelly will be drafted probably in the fifth, hopefully fourth. 

Edited by boltup15

1 hour ago, boltup15 said:

Ballage also only had one run for over 20 yards on 157 carries this season. 

But my rankings arent done. Still have a lot of work to do and combine might have a slight effect on my views on some of these RB's. 

Wrong Kelly, there are two Tennessee Kelly's. John Kelly didn't get hurt. John Kelly will be drafted probably in the fifth, hopefully fourth. 

So, are there two John Kelly's that are running backs for Tennessee, or did Rotoworld get the wrong guy here? (Not trying to be a dick, just trying to get clarification)

From Rotoworld:

Tennessee junior RB John Kelly was hospitalized after falling from a wall after an altercation with his girlfriend.
A report from Knox News states that Kelly and his girlfriend started a "minor altercation" while at the bar, and a verbal altercation after returning home. The report also indicates that Kelly was "punching cabinets, fridge, and busted a glass bottle against a wall in the apartment," and that he was screaming in pain after falling from a 30-foot retaining wall. There were no arrests, and Kelly tweeted that he was "feeling well" after the incident. Jan 13 - 4:06 PM

4 hours ago, wonderbread said:

So, are there two John Kelly's that are running backs for Tennessee, or did Rotoworld get the wrong guy here? (Not trying to be a dick, just trying to get clarification)

From Rotoworld:

Tennessee junior RB John Kelly was hospitalized after falling from a wall after an altercation with his girlfriend.
A report from Knox News states that Kelly and his girlfriend started a "minor altercation" while at the bar, and a verbal altercation after returning home. The report also indicates that Kelly was "punching cabinets, fridge, and busted a glass bottle against a wall in the apartment," and that he was screaming in pain after falling from a 30-foot retaining wall. There were no arrests, and Kelly tweeted that he was "feeling well" after the incident. Jan 13 - 4:06 PM

That rotoworld report is wrong, it wasn't John Kelly. It's Todd Kelly. 

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-vols-todd-kelly-jr-vols

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wonderbread said:

From Rotoworld:

Rotoworld was wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boltup15 said:

Rotoworld was wrong. 

Journalism is dead in America. Everyone is in a rush to be first , not so concerned about being right. Lazy & unprofessional

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 12:42 AM, howlin' 2 said:

Journalism is dead in America. Everyone is in a rush to be first , not so concerned about being right. Lazy & unprofessional

Take a breather man it was a minor error lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GreatestShowonTurf said:

I'm sure you'd say the same if it was your name in a national publication that thousands of people quoted in a rush to be first or just drag somebody down.

Look how it got repeated here. Most people will never see the retraction or will you see any publication make a major announcement that makes them look bad or unprofessional.

I'll bet many will still be telling the story today and in the future because they only read the original false reporting. It's only a young man's reputation and career being put in question. Especially when our society seems to love to hear dirt about spoiled, privileged athletes and celebrities.

Myself, I was going to commend him on his toughness for bouncing up from a 30 ft fall. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2018 at 10:09 AM, petekrum said:

I think he saw where he was being projected in this strong RB class and decided he could improve his stock. If he realistically wants to be a feature NFL back he’s gotta get that weight up over 200. I see your point about the injury risk though.

He wants to be a doctor when he's done with football, so he probably stayed in school for its own sake.

I've watched every single game Sony Michel & Chubb ever played.  Sony Michel is going to be a stud.  Chubb should end up being a starter as well, but I like Sony's pro potential more.  Both are hard workers, smart, and stay out of trouble.  Better receivers than given credit for. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2018 at 7:19 AM, Elwood333 said:

I'm hoping that Michel falls in the draft and fantasy drafts.  I think he is my #3 behind Barkley and Guice.  He is the one that reminds me of Kamara.  Why is Love down on lists?  I thought he was widely considered #2 behind Barkley at the beginning of the year?  Other than going to Tennessee I never really even heard of John Kelly until this post.

Kamara is probably a better receiver, Michel a better runner.  I'm a little biased, but without knowing where they go, I take Sony #2.  Kiper was saying that he's working himself into the 1st round now.  Cats out of the bag there.  Between Barkley, Guice, and Michel you can't go wrong though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

I'm sure you'd say the same if it was your name in a national publication that thousands of people quoted in a rush to be first or just drag somebody down.

Look how it got repeated here. Most people will never see the retraction or will you see any publication make a major announcement that makes them look bad or unprofessional.

I'll bet many will still be telling the story today and in the future because they only read the original false reporting. It's only a young man's reputation and career being put in question. Especially when our society seems to love to hear dirt about spoiled, privileged athletes and celebrities.

Myself, I was going to commend him on his toughness for bouncing up from a 30 ft fall. 

This is Rotoworld, not the NYT.  His reputation will be fine.  The few of us that read Rotoworld also pay enough attention elsewhere to know the error and to see retractions.

22 hours ago, GreatestShowonTurf said:

This is Rotoworld, not the NYT.  His reputation will be fine.  The few of us that read Rotoworld also pay enough attention elsewhere to know the error and to see retractions.

You obviously don't pay attention to how much "fake news" gets repeated over & over to the point that those that want to believe it repeat it as fact in conversation... but I guess I forgot. Everyone reads it and reacts the exact same way as you do. Right !

Point is it shouldn't have been a story to have to refute for him if the person reporting had done their job in a professional manner in the first place. Even the National Enquirer checked the facts, rechecked, then checked again .  

On 1/17/2018 at 6:29 PM, boltup15 said:

Rotoworld was wrong. 

What's new?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 8:57 AM, GreatestShowonTurf said:

Not really.

Rotoworld published news updates on the internet accusing the wrong guy of a horrific crime...

36 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Not really.

Rotoworld published news updates on the internet accusing the wrong guy of a horrific crime...

I don't know if I'd really describe it as a horrific crime, haha

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

I don't know if I'd really describe it as a horrific crime, haha

Horrifically stupid. 

• Like 1