thebrowns

2018 Rookie RB Class

1 minute ago, petekrum said:

Mostly the eye test. I just wasn’t that impressed watching Adams. 

Also Adams at 6'2" just doesn't look the part. That's probably a shallow evaluation but you better be a physical freak if you're that big.  Walton at least looks the part if he hits the squat rack hard. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Mostly the eye test. I just wasn’t that impressed watching Adams. 

3 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Also Adams at 6'2" just doesn't look the part. That's probably a shallow evaluation but you better be a physical freak if you're that big.  Walton at least looks the part if he hits the squat rack hard. 

Agreed. Walton looks fluid.

I'm thrown off by big backs. I hate watching Derrick Henry run, yet, he has high skill. I've read that Adams runs like Eric Dickerson (wasn't a compliment when I read it). Clearly, guys can make any style work. Thanks for the input.

Edited by thebrowns

What feels like a good order here based on skill and talent? Why?

RB Nick Chubb Georgia
RB Ronald Jones USC
RB Kerryon Johnson Auburn
RB Mark Walton Miami

Edited by thebrowns
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, thebrowns said:

RB Nick Chubb Georgia
RB Ronald Jones USC
RB Mark Walton Miami

Depends what you mean by 'skill and talent' I guess.  Ronald Jones could be the next Alvin Kamara with his dynamic abilities.  But I like the order you have it in.  Chubb's frame is just better for carrying a load (5'10 225), and he's a good runner in his own right.  Ronald Jones in the right system could make a killing, just will be hard to consistently get 15+ carries a game unless he adds weight (6'0 200).  Just my opinion.  I mean, I'm 6'0 185 and would get murdered, I don't think 15 extra pounds would save me from some of these middle linebackers.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, thebrowns said:

RB Nick Chubb Georgia
RB Ronald Jones USC
RB Mark Walton Miami

I like your order in standard, but would probably flip flop Chubb and Jones in ppr. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2018 at 7:14 PM, Lord_Varys said:

My list:

1. Saquan Barkley

2. Sony Michel

3. Derrius Guice

4. Rashaad Penny

5. Ronald Jones

6. Nick Chubb

7. Kerryon Johnson

I may be the only person who has Michel (5'11" 216#) over Guice (5'11" 218#) and I'm open to the possibility of being wrong.  But I was simply completely awestruck by what I saw in the CFB Playoff games.  His feet are lightning.  He is so fast, so dynamic.  That's nothing against Guice, I just fell in love with what I saw against big time competition.  Both are the perfect size for an RB.  Both are dynamic running and receiving.  I might change my mind of Guice measures better in the 40 and 3 cone at the combine, but just watching Michel dominate against the best of the best put him over the top for me.

17 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

I like Michel better than Guice too

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. I'm concerned that Michel averaged under 14 carries over three years. I'm also a believer in youth in the draft. Guice [June 21, 1997] is 2 1/3 years younger than Michel [February 17, 1995]. Let's see where they test out; Guice has vision, balance, quickness, power, and speed. Michel is a gifted athlete too, a top-rated prospect out of high school - a good nose for the hole.

Does age make you reconsider position? Michel is 6 months younger than Todd Gurley and six months older than Kareem Hunt.

23 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. I'm concerned that Michel averaged under 14 carries over three years. I'm also a believer in youth in the draft. Guice [June 21, 1997] is 2 1/3 years younger than Michel [February 17, 1995]. Let's see where they test out; Guice has vision, balance, quickness, power, and speed. Michel is a gifted athlete too, a top-rated prospect out of high school - a good nose for the hole.

Does age make you reconsider position? Michel is 6 months younger than Todd Gurley and six months older than Kareem Hunt.

Age would be a tiebreaker for me. I want to pick the better talent in the better system first and foremost

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wild Thing said:

Age would be a tiebreaker for me. I want to pick the better talent in the better system first and foremost

The system part especially.

After the draft last year we heard a lot about how much Payton loved Kamara and Reid loved Hunt.  That they were specifically targeting those guys.   I kind of dismissed it then but I won't going forward.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

The system part especially.

After the draft last year we heard a lot about how much Payton loved Kamara and Reid loved Hunt.  That they were specifically targeting those guys.   I kind of dismissed it then but I won't going forward.

I think the skill and talent is pretty close on Michel and Guice. Size, measurables, work ethic, and the skillset cancel each other out. They aren't the same skill set but they both excel in particular areas. The scheme is really going to matter. But having a grasp on players helps. I have Guice by one + over Michel just because of age. 

23 hours ago, thebrowns said:

Based upon skillset and talent, Josh Adams or Mark Walton?

Josh Adams easily. Think Latavius Murray who can actually make people miss in the backfield. Mark Walton doesn't do much special in my eyes. Makes some nice highlight reels but Adams will definitely be drafted a couple rounds before Walton. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, boltup15 said:

Josh Adams easily. Think Latavius Murray who can actually make people miss in the backfield. Mark Walton doesn't do much special in my eyes. Makes some nice highlight reels but Adams will definitely be drafted a couple rounds before Walton. 

I don’t see that happening.

There is chatter that Derrius Guice might be the third best back in this draft. I'm seriously considering Guice ahead of Barkley. I really want to see measurements. Guice isn't an elite blocker like Barkley. He does a good job of making a little out of nothing. He doesn't get caught behind the line much. I feel like these two backs could be like AP and Beast Mode. 

19 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

There is chatter that Derrius Guice might be the third best back in this draft. I'm seriously considering Guice ahead of Barkley. I really want to see measurements. Guice isn't an elite blocker like Barkley. He does a good job of making a little out of nothing. He doesn't get caught behind the line much. I feel like these two backs could be like AP and Beast Mode. 

Who's 2?

32 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Who's 2?

The common argument is the Sony Michel, Georgia is a superior FF prospect to Guice. Player to player I think talent and skill (talent being raw gifts that can be honed but can't be taught like speed/agility) (skill being coachables like hands, blocking, and patience) I think that the order of those three is Barkley, Guice, and Michel. Guice is the youngest and Barkley is still two years younger than Michel. I love Guice's mentality. I think that he could excel in Baltimore (if they don't stick with Collins), Seatle, Oakland, or Detroit. I especially like Detroit. 

I am not sold that Barkley is the clear cut #1 dynasty option. 1-on-1 Barkley wins but it isn't a huge gap IMO. LOVE that Barkley is bigger and accelerates faster than Guice. Guice just has an awesome mentality.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, thebrowns said:

Just saw this tweet from roster watch. I've been intrigued by Jaylen Samuels. He has shown great straight line speed. Maybe i should have him on my list. 

So I just watched a bit of Samuels film...

Wow.

I'm not sure what he'll be technically classified as position wise in the NFL but he's a weapon.  He reminds me of Aaron Hernandez.

I'd use him all over the field - hback, move TE, rb...

I haven't watched any blocking film of him yet but if you put a guy with his abilities with a creative coach like NO or NE...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

So I just watched a bit of Samuels film...

Wow.

I'm not sure what he'll be technically classified as position wise in the NFL but he's a weapon.  He reminds me of Aaron Hernandez.

I'd use him all over the field - hback, move TE, rb...

I haven't watched any blocking film of him yet but if you put a guy with his abilities with a creative coach like NO or NE...

I've heard that he has chosen to classify as a RB. He should run a tree and get carries. I just don't know where to rank him.

I think, depending on fit, I will personally draft him high. But I'm willing to swing and miss in hope that I hit a homerun. But as far as ranking him as a prospect in relation to the other backs, idk.

Edited by thebrowns

24 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

I've heard that he has chosen to classify as a RB. He should run a tree and get carries. I just don't know where to rank him.

I think, depending on fit, I will personally draft him high. But I'm willing to swing and miss in hope that I hit a homerun. But as far as ranking him as a prospect in relation to the other backs, idk.

Not sure if you have a draft coming up soon or something but where he goes really matters.  The coaching staff will ultimately determine if hits his ceiling.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he's announced as TE/hback on draft night.  

Really intriguing player that could be a matchup nightmare for opposing DCs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Not sure if you have a draft coming up soon or something but where he goes really matters.  The coaching staff will ultimately determine if hits his ceiling.

Really intriguing player that could be a matchup nightmare for opposing DCs.

I've heard him compared to a 90s fullback. Which means the way he is utilized really matters. Unfortunately, a lot of the places that could utilize him don't really need him. 

1 hour ago, thebrowns said:

I've heard him compared to a 90s fullback. Which means the way he is utilized really matters. Unfortunately, a lot of the places that could utilize him don't really need him. 

He is way more athletic than the typical 90s fullback.

There is a play out there where he returns a kick off for big yardage.  90s fullbacks couldn't do that.   And his body control on contested catches is outstanding.

I really need to look at his blocking.  Because if he can block he'd become a "new age fullback" and matchup nightmare...but that's essentially a H-back.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

5'10" 223 ... why would he classify as TE?

Seems to move pretty good for how thick he is.

1 hour ago, Lord_Varys said:

5'10" 223 ... why would he classify as TE?

Seems to move pretty good for how thick he is.

Didn't realize he was that short.  Haven't looked at measurables (wait until the combine), just film.

TE is definitely out then.

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Didn't realize he was that short.  Haven't looked at measurables (wait until the combine), just film.

TE is definitely out then.

I feel like Sean Payton would be all over this guy if he didn't just grab Kamara.

33 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I feel like Sean Payton would be all over this guy if he didn't just grab Kamara.

Would REALLY have to look at him closer, especially as a runner, but maybe drafted as Ingram's replacement after 2018?

5 hours ago, thebrowns said:

Except that Barkley is an elite level receiving back. I love Guice, but you will regret taking him ahead of Barkley.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, petekrum said:

I don’t see that happening.

Josh Adams round 2 or 3. Walton 4-6. Most likely 4 or 5.