thebrowns

2018 Rookie RB Class

On 1/29/2018 at 6:29 PM, howlin' 2 said:

As a fellow follower of the lovable loser Lions I'd rather see Guice who epitomizes the Detroit blue collar get in your grill attacking attitude & style. Barry was fun to watch but classy, down to earth and GOAT. Derrius is fierce and ferocious. Detroit would go crazy if he was able to do for us what Dalvin did for the Vikes.

FTFY

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Josh Adams round 2 or 3. Walton 4-6. Most likely 4 or 5. 

Adams won’t sniff round 2. Both likely go 3rd or 4th.

5 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Adams won’t sniff round 2. Both likely go 3rd or 4th.

Why wouldn't Adams sniff round 2?

1 minute ago, boltup15 said:

Why wouldn't Adams sniff round 2?

Barkley, Guice, Michel, Chubb, Penny, Jones, will all go before.  Probably Ballage and Freeman .  Don't think there's that many RB-needy teams that someone will feel a need to take a guy like Adams (not a sure bet) that early.  Just way too deep a draft class this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Barkley, Guice, Michel, Chubb, Penny, Jones, will all go before.  Probably Ballage and Freeman .  Don't think there's that many RB-needy teams that someone will feel a need to take a guy like Adams (not a sure bet) that early.  Just way too deep a draft class this year.

Ballage, Freeman will not go before. Kerryon Johnson may go before though. 

Penny will probably go later just because he went to SD. 

But agree with your sentiment that some teams may not want to go with rb early, but I could see a mad rush of RB's going in round 2 or 3 and Adams is just as sure of a bet as most other RB's. He has the profile that most GM's love in their backs. Big, fast, can receive, quick. 

He'll sniff round 2, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Edited by boltup15

51 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Ballage, Freeman will not go before. Kerryon Johnson may go before though. 

Penny will probably go later just because he went to SD. 

But agree with your sentiment that some teams may not want to go with rb early, but I could see a mad rush of RB's going in round 2 or 3 and Adams is just as sure of a bet as most other RB's. He has the profile that most GM's love in their backs. Big, fast, can receive, quick. 

He'll sniff round 2, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Penny will absolutely go before and at least one and probably both of Ballage and Freeman will go before. I haven’t read anyone who likes or ranks Adams among the top 8 to 10 RB prospects.

1 minute ago, petekrum said:

Penny will absolutely go before and at least one and probably both of Ballage and Freeman will go before. I haven’t read anyone who likes or ranks Adams among the top 8 to 10 RB prospects.

6'2 225, and he does catch passes.  Why do you think he's ranked so low?  I haven't watched a ton of tape.  Just because he's from Notre Dame I might be projecting him as a CJ Procise (6'1 220) -- not that CJ Procise is a bad player, just never took off.

Just now, Lord_Varys said:

6'2 225, and he does catch passes.  Why do you think he's ranked so low?  I haven't watched a ton of tape.  Just because he's from Notre Dame I might be projecting him as a CJ Procise (6'1 220) -- not that CJ Procise is a bad player, just never took off.

Im really not sure, and I liked him earlier in the year, but the more I read the less I find people who like him. Runs very upright. Maybe it’s his speed, I don’t know.

11 hours ago, petekrum said:

Runs very upright.

I noticed this too.

I do think he's a well rounded player.  Unfortunately for him, there's about 25 well rounded running backs in the league, and maybe 7 or so others in this draft.  Does he do anything exceptionally well?  I don't know.  It's a dog eat dog world and you gotta differentiate yourself somehow.  Maybe he falls far enough that the right team/situation takes him.

10 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I noticed this too.

I do think he's a well rounded player.  Unfortunately for him, there's about 25 well rounded running backs in the league, and maybe 7 or so others in this draft.  Does he do anything exceptionally well?  I don't know.  It's a dog eat dog world and you gotta differentiate yourself somehow.  Maybe he falls far enough that the right team/situation takes him.

There have been plenty of upright runners excel in the nfl. Like you said, theft need to be excellent at something. To his benefit, Adams appears to be durable. Sometimes that is enough. Being healthy allowed Alex Collins to keep his career alive for at least one more season. For will matter a lot for him. Below are my starting notes from glancing at film at perusing articles. I have most of my sources cited:

"***Lacks lateral agility and quickness, and elusiveness. Slow getting going to top speed.*** Physical back, would breaks tackles very well. One cut runner with good power, and decent speed." | DRAFT BLASTER: "A tall, strong runner that draws comparisons to Eric Dickerson in terms of running style, Adams was the heart of the Notre Dame running attack in 2017. Exceptional top end speed coupled with a power running style, Adams is a do it all running back that NFL teams covet. Although the Dickerson comparison is apt, he could use to adjust it so that he can withstand hits better at the next level." | Anthony Amico ROTOVIZ Jan 25: “Josh Adams had a highly-efficient rushing career, averaging 6.7 YPC on 480 attempts. 41 receptions in three seasons isn’t great but certainly could be worse. Adams is 225 pounds, so he may be able to handle more work than his market share of non-QB rush yards would indicate. Still, I would have liked him to come into the draft with more of a workhorse profile.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebrowns said:

Lacks lateral agility and quickness, and elusiveness. Slow getting going to top speed.*** Physical back, would breaks tackles very well. One cut runner with good power, and decent speed."

This is about right.  Almost reminds me of Latavius Murray the more I think about it.  Lat is a little underrated as a receiver as well.  But when it comes to wiggle and shake, not much there.  Hopefully Adams has better vision, but I haven't seen enough to judge.  Both are tall, upright runners with good breakaway speed and tackle busting ability.  Probably needs a good offensive line and power run system to let him do his thing.

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 7:20 PM, boltup15 said:

Josh Adams easily. Think Latavius Murray who can actually make people miss in the backfield. Mark Walton doesn't do much special in my eyes. Makes some nice highlight reels but Adams will definitely be drafted a couple rounds before Walton. 

3 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

This is about right.  Almost reminds me of Latavius Murray the more I think about it.  Lat is a little underrated as a receiver as well.  But when it comes to wiggle and shake, not much there.  Hopefully Adams has better vision, but I haven't seen enough to judge.  Both are tall, upright runners with good breakaway speed.

Sounds like a comp is developing for Josh Adams. 

1 minute ago, thebrowns said:

Sounds like a comp is developing for Josh Adams. 

Didn't even see that from boltup, either.  Or maybe I did and forgot about it.

Yet to be determined if he can make people miss in the backfield, like Murray is supposedly incapable of.  One thing to do it in college.

17 hours ago, petekrum said:

Matt Miller has him at 8 in front of Ballage and Freeman but behind Walton as of 1/8/18. 1 spot behind Penny. 

3 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

This is about right.  Almost reminds me of Latavius Murray the more I think about it.  Lat is a little underrated as a receiver as well.  But when it comes to wiggle and shake, not much there.  Hopefully Adams has better vision, but I haven't seen enough to judge.  Both are tall, upright runners with good breakaway speed and tackle busting ability.  Probably needs a good offensive line and power run system to let him do his thing.

Adams is as upright as Gurley is upright. He's really not that upright, he's just tall. 

2 hours ago, boltup15 said:

Matt Miller has him at 8 in front of Ballage and Freeman but behind Walton as of 1/8/18. 1 spot behind Penny. 

Bloom in football guys has him as his #14 RB

I feel like the hype around penny is huge, and when he tests at combine hes going to become that late draft rise IMO - being taken over the likes of walton, adams, maybe even kerryon. People are going to fall in love with his measureables.

I have a few concerns tho. Level of competition, vision, and ability to ad-lib in a short time. Did anyone else notice the ridiculously huge holes when watching his tape? Especially on his bigger plays. Even at the senior bowl i thought the oline play was impressive(hence my thought that this feels like a very deep oline class).

There were times when i thought (and im no scout or rb, much harder in real time) there was a cut-back lane he couldve taken advantage of as well, or bounced outside when the inside was closed. He seemed to just let dead plays die. 

These are just concerns, as most in here have already glossed over what he excels at. I still have penny ranked rather high, just wondering if anyone else has noticed these things as well.

As of now, i have him ranked 6. Based on alot of upside. But i am considering moving kerryon over him, and possibly further down as i dive deeper into watching these guys. I have speed and durability question about kerryon tho.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

I feel like the hype around penny is huge, and when he tests at combine hes going to become that late draft rise IMO - being taken over the likes of walton, adams, maybe even kerryon. People are going to fall in love with his measureables.

I have a few concerns tho. Level of competition, vision, and ability to ad-lib in a short time. Did anyone else notice the ridiculously huge holes when watching his tape? Especially on his bigger plays. Even at the senior bowl i thought the oline play was impressive(hence my thought that this feels like a very deep oline class).

There were times when i thought (and im no scout or rb, much harder in real time) there was a cut-back lane he couldve taken advantage of as well, or bounced outside when the inside was closed. He seemed to just let dead plays die. 

These are just concerns, as most in here have already glossed over what he excels at. I still have penny ranked rather high, just wondering if anyone else has noticed these things as well.

As of now, i have him ranked 6. Based on alot of upside. But i am considering moving kerryon over him, and possibly further down as i dive deeper into watching these guys. I have speed and durability question about kerryon tho.

agree with a lot here Viks.  Come combine time i could see the buzz ramping up a bit.  My feeling on Penny is much the same as i had with Kareem Hunt coming in last year.  Felt like i saw similar flaws to his game but i also felt like i was seeing a very versatile player with the ball in his hands.  Hunt is my best comp for how i view Penny and i have Penny as my #4 RB.(Not sure if anyone else comp'd Penny to Hunt, didn't read the entire thread)    He's a player that FF dynasty owners will need to pay a pretty high premium for i think.  Esp after the combine and possibly the NFL draft.  Im very interested to see who drafts Penny.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlakeP42 said:

agree with a lot here Viks.  Come combine time i could see the buzz ramping up a bit.  My feeling on Penny is much the same as i had with Kareem Hunt coming in last year.  Felt like i saw similar flaws to his game but i also felt like i was seeing a very versatile player with the ball in his hands.  Hunt is my best comp for how i view Penny and i have Penny as my #4 RB.(Not sure if anyone else comp'd Penny to Hunt, didn't read the entire thread)    He's a player that FF dynasty owners will need to pay a pretty high premium for i think.  Esp after the combine and possibly the NFL draft.  Im very interested to see who drafts Penny.

I keep trying to figure out the best value in this draft. I like Penny but I'm not willing to pay what he is going to cost. I feel that there will be a lot of players who are going to demand a higher price. I'm hoping that we end up Chubb being the big faller in this FF draft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

I keep trying to figure out the best value in this draft. 

Until we see where these guys get drafted there's no way to know. 

• Like 1

What do you predict for Sony Michel, RB, Georgia in the 2018 NFL draft? When will he be taken? What role will he be asked to fill?

• 1st/2nd ROUND - Lead Back
  • 1st/2nd ROUND - 3rd Down Back
  • 3rd Round - Lead Back
  • 3rd Round - 3rd Down Back
Edited by thebrowns

5 hours ago, thebrowns said:

What do you predict for Sony Michel, RB, Georgia in the 2018 NFL draft? When will he be taken? What role will he be asked to fill?

• 1st/2nd ROUND - Lead Back
  • 1st/2nd ROUND - 3rd Down Back
  • 3rd Round - Lead Back
  • 3rd Round - 3rd Down Back

He’ll go in the second and if not a lead back will become one very quickly. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Even at the senior bowl i thought the oline play was impressive(hence my thought that this feels like a very deep oline class).

Yet he still out produced every other back in total rush yards and effiency, oh and there was the long receiving TD. 

I remember his longest run was between the tackles with an impressive jump cut at the line, then changed direction back, then burst thru to the second level. First clip here. 

Level of competition is fair -- it's one thing to break tackles against mountain west teams, another to do it against nfl players.  But he looks well rounded to me in terms of agility speed and strength. His catch at the senior bowl was impressive too, contested catch on a wheel route, then good open field running. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Yet he still out produced every other back in total rush yards and effiency, oh and there was the long receiving TD. 

He did, but ballage had similar rushing stats. He looked great on the catch and run tho.

There was alot to love with the senior bowl tape. I dont have him ranked 6th for nothing. His upside is tremendous. My opinion with prospects is to find what they dont do well. It could be the difference in choosing one guy over another. What they do well is already well documented and on display. When you watch some of these highlight tapes, you wonder why they arent all superstars.

But we've talked before. We both are in agreement that penny has a pretty damn good chance at being productive at the next level, given the right situation.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

He did, but ballage had similar rushing stats. He looked great on the catch and run tho.

There was alot to love with the senior bowl tape. I dont have him ranked 6th for nothing. His upside is tremendous. My opinion with prospects is to find what they dont do well. It could be the difference in choosing one guy over another. What they do well is already well documented and on display. When you watch some of these highlight tapes, you wonder why they arent all superstars.

But we've talked before. We both are in agreement that penny has a pretty damn good chance at being productive at the next level, given the right situation.

Imagine Penny in SF as a cheap replacement for Hyde.  Where would he rank then?

Or as the new Detroit RB?

Or in Oakland?