ChicksDigTheOPS

Which prospects are you higher on than most people, and why?

I realize we have the "deep sleeper" thread, but I figured this would be a chance for posters to tout personal favorites.

If any of you see something in a player, that's valuable information. Let us know!

I'll start with Jake Gatewood, Brewers 3B. (#18 on MLB.com's Brewers prospect rankings)

He recently had a vision correction, and says for the first time ever he can read the outfield scoreboard.

Gatewood is 6'5, 190 and is athletic with good pop. He has some swing&miss to his game, but when you watch footage, the bat is pretty loud.

.775 OPS last year isn't turning any heads, but I think he has projectable power and 2nd-tier star potential. Maybe a Carlos-Quentin-before-the-dropoff kind of skillset, or possibly Alex Rios with less speed. 

Here is is again, lifting off. As you can see, he also has a signature bat flip.

and another blast, for posterity

beautiful swing here, though his stance has changed considerably since (more open)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure Gatewood is only going to be a 1B, and I'm actually quite down on him.  I was scouting him and Monte Harrison almost all year, and by scouting I mean box scores and chat/article reading. I owned Gatewood for a bit too.  Gatewood is pretty committed to 1b, and a guy who corrected his vision and turned his career around only to hit a 775 OPS is pretty unexciting. Hard to get excited about a 1b prospect unless his numbers are jumping off the page, and even then, it's a tough position to count on from the minors. 1b is a fall back for so many other bats and the 1b free agent market is flooded with cheap useful options.  I own guys like Peter Alonso and Edwin Rios who I like considerably more than Gatewood, and I don't feel great about those guys either. Sorry for the poo poo @ChicksDigTheOPS. Gatewood is a free agent in my league that currently rosters 320 prospects. I'll have my eye on him, but I'm not expecting much.  Monte Harrison was the guy in the system that really broke out and got a piece of.

As for prospects I like more than most people . . .

For a hitter: Give me Colton Welker. He's going to be 20 for the entire season next year and needs to stay healthy but the dude can flat out hit.  I think the Rockies will eventually find a way to get him into the lineup in a few years.  I think he'd be a fine hitter on any team, but with the Coors juice he becomes pretty special.  With all eyes on Brendan Rodgers and McMahon, I think Welker gets overlooked in the system. If you're in a deeper league, I think his floor is pretty high. Should be owned in any league with 100 prospects owned.

For a pitcher: Give me Fernando Romero. He was on a lot of top 100 lists last year. What happened? He logged 125 IP at the biggest talent jump (AA), and posted a 3.53 ERA.  He has pretty good velocity and the walk jump in 2017 isn't something too concerning yet. I'm not sure why I don't see him in more top 100s.  Sure there's reliever risk, but I'm still more bullish on him than most rankings I've seen. He started the season quite poorly and then rebounded nicely to have a sub 3 ERA with 2 games left, and then blew up his era to 3.53 in just 2 games. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

oops 3B typo... dude is definitely 1B

any chance he gets moved to corner outfield? he seems pretty athletic...

His floor is certainly stinky. I just believe there are considerably tools there, and if things were to click, he could become a .265-30-85 kind of player. 

Colton Welker is a great tout. His hit tool and power could be special. And in Coors..?? Love it. 

I've had my eye on him, ever since Razzball wrote "...upside as high as anyone in the Minors not named Guerrero" <--paraphrasing

that'll get your attention! There's not much film on him, and the sample sizes are small... but in the clips I've seen, he looks like a potent middle-of-the-order bat. A guy who can be a major run producer, with good power, and enough contact skills to be a strong overall hitter too, rather than just a sellout for pop type. Simply put, I looooove Colton Welker. Excited to see what he does this season. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

oops 3B typo... dude is definitely 1B

any chance he gets moved to corner outfield? he seems pretty athletic...

His floor is certainly stinky. I just believe there are considerably tools there, and if things were to click, he could become a .265-30-85 kind of player. 

Miluwakee has one of the deepest OF system in baseball.  Lutz, Brinson, Ray, my boy Monte Harrison and probably someone else. I would be shocked to see him in Miluwakee's future OF.

Additionally, I listened to a podcast recently (I listen to a ton), I believe it was the Pipeline one.  They talked specifically about how he was embracing 1b and learning everything he can about the position. I don't doubt he could be a 70 grade defense at 1b, but the bat is going to have to take a considerable step up.  I too read about how much the vision helped him change, but the results just aren't good enough for 1b let alone fantasy 1b.

I'm not going to write him off by any means at all, but there's just a ton of guys I rather have at the moment. Edwin Rios is a 1b/3b guy I like who is really blocked as a Dodger, but has hit very well at every level. I think he gets traded to a team who will give him a shot.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

just believe there are considerably tools there, and if things were to click, he could become a .265-30-85 kind of player. 

Colton Welker is a great tout. His hit tool and power could be special. And in Coors..?? Love it. 

I've had my eye on him, ever since Razzball wrote "...upside as high as anyone in the Minors not named Guerrero" <--paraphrasing

that'll get your attention! There's not much film on him, and the sample sizes are small... but in the clips I've seen, he looks like a potent middle-of-the-order bat. A guy who can be a major run producer, with good power, and enough contact skills to be a strong overall hitter too, rather than just a sellout for pop type. Simply put, I looooove Colton Welker. Excited to see what he does this season. 

@fawkes_mulder put him on my radar before Razball even said that for the record. But yes I remember hearing a lot of good things about him on everything I've listened to and read. He had a hamstring injury that destroyed his ability to get reps last year.  There's concern with where he ends up playing and if he stays in Colorado, both are real concerns for his value... the potential to be a 3b in Colorado could make him a top 5 at the position one day. If he's a 1b or OF in Colorado or a 3b elsewhere, I'm perfect fine with that outcome. With a talent like him, I'm  not too worried it won't work out for him, even if we don't get best case scenario. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm pretty sure Gatewood is only going to be a 1B, and I'm actually quite down on him.  I was scouting him and Monte Harrison almost all year, and by scouting I mean box scores and chat/article reading. I owned Gatewood for a bit too.  Gatewood is pretty committed to 1b, and a guy who corrected his vision and turned his career around only to hit a 775 OPS is pretty unexciting. Hard to get excited about a 1b prospect unless his numbers are jumping off the page, and even then, it's a tough position to count on from the minors. 1b is a fall back for so many other bats and the 1b free agent market is flooded with cheap useful options.  I own guys like Peter Alonso and Edwin Rios who I like considerably more than Gatewood, and I don't feel great about those guys either. Sorry for the poo poo @ChicksDigTheOPS. Gatewood is a free agent in my league that currently rosters 320 prospects. I'll have my eye on him, but I'm not expecting much.  Monte Harrison was the guy in the system that really broke out and got a piece of.

As for prospects I like more than most people . . .

For a hitter: Give me Colton Welker. He's going to be 20 for the entire season next year and needs to stay healthy but the dude can flat out hit.  I think the Rockies will eventually find a way to get him into the lineup in a few years.  I think he'd be a fine hitter on any team, but with the Coors juice he becomes pretty special.  With all eyes on Brendan Rodgers and McMahon, I think Welker gets overlooked in the system. If you're in a deeper league, I think his floor is pretty high. Should be owned in any league with 100 prospects owned.

For a pitcher: Give me Fernando Romero. He was on a lot of top 100 lists last year. What happened? He logged 125 IP at the biggest talent jump (AA), and posted a 3.53 ERA.  He has pretty good velocity and the walk jump in 2017 isn't something too concerning yet. I'm not sure why I don't see him in more top 100s.  Sure there's reliever risk, but I'm still more bullish on him than most rankings I've seen. He started the season quite poorly and then rebounded nicely to have a sub 3 ERA with 2 games left, and then blew up his era to 3.53 in just 2 games. 

Sounds like Harrison is expected to get some hype this year, likely cracking top 100 after 20-20 season last year.  

11 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Sounds like Harrison is expected to get some hype this year, likely cracking top 100 after 20-20 season last year.  

Ive seen him on a lot of top 100s already, especially Fantasy ones. Top 50 on a few.

53 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Ive seen him on a lot of top 100s already, especially Fantasy ones. Top 50 on a few.

Any thoughts on Sheldon Neuse, the A's have some good prospects right now, I think he is in their top 10 but not one of their top 2 or 3 guys so maybe doesnt get a ton of love.  He was 2nd round pick of the Nats, came over in the Doolittle deal last year, hit .320 with 16HR and 14 steals in 2017 and had a really good Arizona Fall League

• Like 1

Just now, parrothead said:

Any thoughts on Sheldon Neuse, the A's have some good prospects right now, I think he is in their top 10 but not one of their top 2 or 3 guys so maybe doesnt get a ton of love.  He was 2nd round pick of the Nats, came over in the Doolittle deal last year, hit .320 with 16HR and 14 steals in 2017 and had a really good Arizona Fall League

The upside isn't super high and the ballpark is meh, but I do like him.  Definitiley a guy in a deep Dynasty league, but if it's a 12 team league, I'm not sure he's that interesting.  He is undervalued now.  He seems like a bulky guy, so I'm not sure if he's going to be much of a steals guy.  We were discussing Gatewood early in this thread, and I certainly would have Neuse ahead of him.  Probably somewhere between 125-175 in prospect rankings for fantasy, just freeballing. 

Jesus Luzardo, LHP, Oakland

He’s been picking up a lot of off season hype and should make quite a few top 100 list when rankings are updated.  I think he can finish inside the top 50 by the time the season ends.  Really, really high on him.  Power lefty with control... what’s not to love.

• Like 2

I like Andy Yerzy's potential as a dong-hittin catcher.  Little surprised he isn't getting a little more attention.

Last year at 18 in the rookie pioneer league, he hit .298 with 13 homeruns in 225 ABs.  Plus he walked 24 times with only 45 strikeouts.  Reports are very mixed on his defense, and this year will tell a lot more about if he might have a future behind the plate or not.

• Like 4

Hitter: Hard to go with a guy in the top 100 already, but Carter Kieboom. Why? Well, a really cool name. Why else? The dude can really hit. Like, really, really hit. He was hurt in 2017, he's not a K risk, he walks, and he has good size.

For a little deeper of a hitting prospect : FRANCHY CORDERO. Yes, he saw MLB time already, yes, he's a bit older (23) but in AA/AAA for his career? 156 games, .313 BA, 29 2B, TWENTY FREAKING SIX triples, 23 HR, 27 stolen bases. He's a bit of a free swinger, but I love the upside. 

Pitcher: Hunter Harvey. All pitchers have injury risk, and he's shown it. The dude has excellent stuff, isn't on the top 100 (mlb's latest rankings, haven't checked elsewhere), huge K upside, should be a fast riser in Baltimore. 

Grant Holmes : Dude has spent plenty of time on top 100 lists, but has recently fallen off in favor of other talent. He's still only 21, his season in 2017 was good, not spectacular. Not a guy I rush to add, but I closely watch early in 2018 to see if the positive strides continue for the young guy. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 10:35 PM, Numark said:

I like Andy Yerzy's potential as a dong-hittin catcher.  Little surprised he isn't getting a little more attention.

Last year at 18 in the rookie pioneer league, he hit .298 with 13 homeruns in 225 ABs.  Plus he walked 24 times with only 45 strikeouts.  Reports are very mixed on his defense, and this year will tell a lot more about if he might have a future behind the plate or not.

What organization is he with?

In fact since a lot of you are playing with deep prospects here it might be nice if you mention what team owns them in your posts for the benefit of us mere acolytes here.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

In fact since a lot of you are playing with deep prospects here it might be nice if you mention what team owns them in your posts for the benefit of us mere acolytes here.  Thanks in advance.

He's in the Arizona system. He's canadian I think.

• Thanks 1

I've been hanging on to the Touki Tousaint dream for a while now...

He's young and super inconsistent but he has top tier "stuff."  Statistically, he was pretty bad early last year and then seemed to settle down a little bit. I think he has tremendous upside but sometimes gets overlooked in a really crowded Atlanta system.  

Maybe this will be the make or break year for Touki. He definitely has a plus-plus name!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Arizona, which is pretty good organization for a catcher (not much blocking him right now).

he was also a 2016 second rounder so he has some pedigree

• Thanks 1

Cole Ragans SP (TEX): Even before he was drafted he was getting Cole Hamels comps, despite lacking a tick or two of the velocity that Hamels has.He put up a crazy 13.66K/9 in his first taste of shortseason A ball in his age 19 season. As he continues to refine his command his performance should only be headed in a positive direction.

Alex Kiriloff - had TJ during the off-season last year, kind of a forgotten commodity.. He's put on 30lbs of muscle since he's last played.. He showed some good pop in his first showing in ROK ball, (7HR), so I have to think the extra weight is going to help out in the power department.. Possibly an above average hit tool with above average power? He's in my fantasy top 100 that's for sure.. 

Yordan Alvarez - Has a chance to be a fantasy stud IMO.. He will get dinged on some prospect lists because he's most likely going to be a first baseman, but when it comes to fantasy I think the dude has a chance to be elite.  From what I've read he's shown good plate patience and will probably end up wtih plus power.. He dominated LoA last year at 19yrs old and faired pretty well in HiA (he turned 20 in June).. I love the fact that he plays for the Astros as well and has a chance to be playing with Tucker, Correa, Bregman, (and whichever main core members they sign long term).. I'm hoping they don't trade him, but with Whitley/Tucker being deemed as "untouchable" he's one of Houston's most appealing prospects.   

• Like 2

Cedric Mullins. He does not seem to be on anyone's top prospect list but I think he will be the Oriole starting centerfielder and leadoff hitter in 2019.  Mullins held his own in 2017 at AA after skipping high A, despite being plagued by hamstring problems. He is a very good centerfielder and Adam Jones will be a free agent after 2018 and probably should move to a corner outfielder position anyway.  It does not hurt that Buck Showalter seems to be his biggest fan.  Mullins is not going to be a star but 15 homer and 15 SBs with a lot of runs are realistic.        

1 hour ago, Lonny Baxter said:

Cedric Mullins. He does not seem to be on anyone's top prospect list but I think he will be the Oriole starting centerfielder and leadoff hitter in 2019.  Mullins held his own in 2017 at AA after skipping high A, despite being plagued by hamstring problems. He is a very good centerfielder and Adam Jones will be a free agent after 2018 and probably should move to a corner outfielder position anyway.  It does not hurt that Buck Showalter seems to be his biggest fan.  Mullins is not going to be a star but 15 homer and 15 SBs with a lot of runs are realistic.        

do you think he's more apt to be the future CF than austin hays? i'm not certain on hays natural position, so he may be more suited for a RF role.. 

Edited by osb_tensor

On 1/7/2018 at 1:19 PM, I like baseball said:

Jesus Luzardo, LHP, Oakland

He’s been picking up a lot of off season hype and should make quite a few top 100 list when rankings are updated.  I think he can finish inside the top 50 by the time the season ends.  Really, really high on him.  Power lefty with control... what’s not to love.

Is he the CC Sabathia comparison?  Yeah he is rising for sure...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I like baseball said:

He's gotten many Gio Gonzalez comps... with better control.

From the videos I've seen, he sure looks a lot like Gio.  Honestly, it was uncanny how much he reminded me of Gio.

I definitely really like Luzardo. Now is the time to buy on him because I have a strong feeling that he's going to balloon very quickly.  I feel like the industry is a little late to the Luzardo show.

• Like 1

A couple slightly more obscure, but talented touts:

-Agree with the Gatewood stuff that was discussed early on, he's got some nice traits and now he can actually SEE

- Mauricio Dubon (2B/SS/UT) Brewers have a great movable piece with Dubon, he has a solid hit tool and speed to burn. Also some pretty outstanding reports on his BP at various all-star type exhibitions (mainly Futures Game) his power could come yet with more refinement, the raw elements exist at least.

-Marcos Molina (SP) He has been largely forgotten because of injury, but he returned last year and displayed all of his old stuff. Mets will be careful but could see a jump to the bigs if needs arise. He has the arsenal to thrive and a good frame to handle the workload.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

do you think he's more apt to be the future CF than austin hays? i'm not certain on hays natural position, so he may be more suited for a RF role.. 

I think Hays a RF that may be able to play CF in an emergency but not on a regular basis.