Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

International Players in Major League Forum

I suggested it year ago and I'll suggest it again. Not being able to discuss Ohtani in the major league forum is a disservice to the community. He has a high ADP and he's not going to play a day in the minors.  In the minor league forum, a lot less people browse, thus a full Ohtani discussion won't be viewed or even had.

Every year or every 2 years, there comes a player who gets signed internationally in the offseason and is worth discussing in the major league thread. Abreu, Maeda, Darvis, and this year Ohtani. 

Please reconsider the approach to where we discuss these players.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's good to re-examine these things from time to time.

Obviously, there are some high-profile international signings that are going to be MLB players barring unforeseen calamity.  There are also international signings that are marginal guys.  The question is, where do we draw the line?  The 25-man roster rule is unambiguous.  Anyone who wants to know where to look for a player thread only needs to know whether or not they've made the 25-man roster.  If we open it up to MLB players plus *some* international signings, then it becomes a question of moderator judgement as to whether a guy is or is not going to make the roster that year, and then readers have to make the same judgement when they try to find the thread.

The concern about exposure seems misplaced to me.  The amount of traffic the MiLB forum gets is irrelevant to the question of where the thread belongs.  If people want to discuss a player, they're going to find the thread.  If they ask in the wrong forum, they'll be redirected to the right one.  The people talking in the offseason are mostly just a few regulars who know the rules and know where to look.  By the time the regular season rolls around, he'll get his thread.

For one or two players every couple of years who fall into this category, we don't think it's worth creating additional uncertainty about where threads belong.  Simple rules work best -- adding the uncertainty that comes with judgement calls isn't justified by the minimal amount of discussion that may be lost for a couple months before Ohtani gets a thread.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

The concern about exposure seems misplaced to me.  The amount of traffic the MiLB forum gets is irrelevant to the question of where the thread belongs.  If people want to discuss a player, they're going to find the thread.  

If you think a player thread will be as active in the milb thread compared to the normal thread, that’s clearly not the case. If a player with a 100 adp or so who will never play in the minors doesn’t “belong “ in the major league forum, I’m not sure anyone drafted after him really deserves to any more than Ohtani. It seems pretty easy to me where to cut the line, maybe it’s difficult for some.

Edited by brockpapersizer

I didn't say it would be as active. I said that people who want to find the thread will find it. I understand that whatever amount of discussion may be lost by having a few of these unicorns in the MiLB forum is disappointing to you, but in practice it's not that much, and is far outweighed by the appeal of a clear-cut rule that users can easily follow.