Hawkeye21

Chicago Bears 2018 Offseason

On 1/9/2018 at 12:34 PM, Code of Hammurabi said:

Dwight howard would instantaneously be the best goal line back in the history of football. 

QB sneaks for days.

• Like 1

This time I hope the bears trade DOWN. What a waste to grab trubisky one spot higher

17 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

This time I hope the bears trade DOWN. What a waste to grab trubisky one spot higher

I would rather have a team trade up to get the player they "want" instead of the best of what's left. I cannot claim to have better insight on which qb was the one to pick over the team that takes the jump.

That said, the bears should've been able to evaluate the 2017 vs 2018 draft & FA pool and seen that last year was loaded with difference makers on the defensive side of the ball, and that '18 was projecting as a better year for QBs.     Pace definitely bought himself some a little time with Mitch.

7 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

I think they're doing a great job filling their coaching positions.  This offense will be something we've never seen before as Bears fans.  We may actually have an exciting offense for once.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 5:18 PM, South Carolina said:

You knew Goff was different. He at least had a college career with a big time program. He had a pedigree. And Carson Wentz was gonna be a stud no matter what school he went to or the level of competition. He checked off all the boxes. Trubisky had no business being drafted that high. How do you trade up and pass on Deshaun Watson?? 

This is such ridiculous commentary, sorry.

- Trubisky "showed" significantly better than Goff did his rookie season.  In fact, it wasn't really close - there was talk going into the 2017 season Goff might have a very short leash in which to show flashes before being benched.  Goff looked that clueless in 2016 to warrant that discussion.

- In one sentence you said that "at least he had a college career with a big time program" (in reference to Goff) and in the same graph you talk about how Carson Wentz (who came from a small program) was "gonna be a stud no matter what".  For those of you keeping score at home - Wentz played at North Dakota State, Trubisky at North Carolina.  Hilarious.

- Trubisky has off the charts athleticism and a big time NFL arm & in his college tape there really wasn't a flaw that one could point to and knock him down in the draft - it IS why he went so high.  Why would he have "no business being drafted that high"?  

- The Bears moved up to get Trubisky because they were worried another team would.  That's a GM being highly aggressive to get the guy he coveted - there's something wrong with that?  Also:  NO ONE would have predicted that Deshaun Watson would start his career as well as any NFL rookie QB in the history of the league.. no one.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

This is such ridiculous commentary, sorry.

- Trubisky "showed" significantly better than Goff did his rookie season.  In fact, it wasn't really close - there was talk going into the 2017 season Goff might have a very short leash in which to show flashes before being benched.  Goff looked that clueless in 2016 to warrant that discussion.

- In one sentence you said that "at least he had a college career with a big time program" (in reference to Goff) and in the same graph you talk about how Carson Wentz (who came from a small program) was "gonna be a stud no matter what".  For those of you keeping score at home - Wentz played at North Dakota State, Trubisky at North Carolina.  Hilarious.

- Trubisky has off the charts athleticism and a big time NFL arm & in his college tape there really wasn't a flaw that one could point to and knock him down in the draft - it IS why he went so high.  Why would he have "no business being drafted that high"?  

- The Bears moved up to get Trubisky because they were worried another team would.  That's a GM being highly aggressive to get the guy he coveted - there's something wrong with that?  Also:  NO ONE would have predicted that Deshaun Watson would start his career as well as any NFL rookie QB in the history of the league.. no one.

Mike Lombardi did. No one listened to him...he'd been saying it since April. He also said Jimmy G was a stud months before he was traded to SF. 

Edited by joshua18

26 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Mike Lombardi did. No one listened to him...he'd been saying it since April. He also said Jimmy G was a stud months before he was traded to SF. 

Thanks for completely ignoring everything that I posted.  Here's one column, written by Lombardi in April,where he says Watson's best case scenario is Marcus Mariota.  My spidey senses tell me that Marcus Mariota didn't have one of the best starts to an NFL career in the history of the league.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/24/16044818/2017-nfl-draft-top-prospects-leonard-fournette-deshaun-watson-302c5ae6434c

Here's a video on the Rich Eisen show where he never predicts Watson having an all elite start to his career.  In fact, he says that he'll have issues and that a team should build around him.  Don't get me wrong - Lombardi likes him, but never predicted what you say he did.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

Just google Deshaun Watson best QB in the draft and there are plenty of articles in April stating that Deshaun Watson was the best QB in the draft and that the Texans got a steal. Nobody projected he would be this good, but plenty thought he was better than every other QB in the draft including Trubisky.

3 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Just google Deshaun Watson best QB in the draft and there are plenty of articles in April stating that Deshaun Watson was the best QB in the draft and that the Texans got a steal. Nobody projected he would be this good, but plenty thought he was better than every other QB in the draft including Trubisky.

There are two totally different topics:

- All of the points I've made about Trubisky above.

- Scouts ranking/evaulating QB's and some believing Watson was a better prospect than Trubisky.  Ultimately, he was drafted 12th for a reason and Trubisky was drafted 2nd for a reason.   It wasn't because the Bears dramatically had Trubisky ranked significantly higher than most every other NFL team.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

47 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I did as well. Watching Watson in college he just had something to his play. He had "it". And it was awesome.

Were scouts really ranking Trubisky as a top-5 pick lock? Because I didn't see enough from him in college to warrant even being taken in the 1st round. The only reason he went so high and before Watson was because of his measurables and potential ceiling. Trubisky checked all the boxes and had a higher potential ceiling than Watson. But from what I saw of Watson's play I liked him better as an NFL QB. Watson may not become an elite QB, but he can be very good. The Bears are banking on Trubisky developing into an elite QB.

I also saw Watson as more NFL ready and ready to help a team win now, which he did until going down with an injury. I thought the Houston landing spot was perfect and that was my prediction of where he would go pre-draft. It made Houston a SB contender with the defense they had and weapons on offense. Unfortunately Houston suffered massive injuries on both sides of the ball and lost Watson as well. But even before losing Watson I think he was going to help get them back into the playoffs. The Texans just weren't a SB contender with the rest of the injuries they had before Watson though.

The Bears are looking down the road rather than winning now with the Trubisky pick. I don't know if it will pan out. Will depend on Nagy now. Trubisky looked quite bad last season, though he didn't have many weapons on offense at all to throw to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Were scouts really ranking Trubisky as a top-5 pick lock? Because I didn't see enough from him in college to warrant even being taken in the 1st round. The only reason he went so high and before Watson was because of his measurables and potential ceiling. Trubisky checked all the boxes and had a higher potential ceiling than Watson. But from what I saw of Watson's play I liked him better as an NFL QB. Watson may not become an elite QB, but he can be very good. The Bears are banking on Trubisky developing into an elite QB.

I also saw Watson as more NFL ready and ready to help a team win now, which he did until going down with an injury. I thought the Houston landing spot was perfect and that was my prediction of where he would go pre-draft. It made Houston a SB contender with the defense they had and weapons on offense. Unfortunately Houston suffered massive injuries on both sides of the ball and lost Watson as well. But even before losing Watson I think he was going to help get them back into the playoffs. The Texans just weren't a SB contender with the rest of the injuries they had before Watson though.

The Bears are looking down the road rather than winning now with the Trubisky pick. I don't know if it will pan out. Will depend on Nagy now. Trubisky looked quite bad last season, though he didn't have many weapons on offense at all to throw to.

A large swath of pre-draft mocks, scouts, rankings etc. had Trubisky as a top five pick and over Watson because Trubisky has superior physical tools.  Don't get me wrong - I liked Watson as well & would have been very happy if the Bears traded back and drafted Watson.  Trubisky has a higher ceiling than Watson - I believe Watson will be an above average QB.. Trubisky has a CHANCE to be an elite QB in the league.  Will he?  Who knows - I do know that I like what the Bears are doing right now to try to make that a reality.

My original post in this thread was simply negating the maligning of Trubisky made by the OP & the hypocrisy in the post.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

The rankings of QBs going into the draft were all over the place.  Some had Trubisky as the best, some had Watson and some even had Kizer.  It doesn't mater at all.  Pace picked the guy he wanted and so far he looks to be the guy they were looking for.  All we can do is so how this all progresses next season with new coaches and hopefully more help around him.

There are plenty of questions for Watson going into next year as well.  How healthy will he be and will he be affected by it?  Will he be able to perform at the same high level once defenses have a season to game plan against him?  If he can perform at that same level for another season then I'll put him in my top 3 QBs for 2019.

32 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

If he can perform at that same level for another season then I'll put him in my top 3 QBs for 2019.

It'll be interesting, since Brady & Brees will not be around.

5 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Thanks for completely ignoring everything that I posted.  Here's one column, written by Lombardi in April,where he says Watson's best case scenario is Marcus Mariota.  My spidey senses tell me that Marcus Mariota didn't have one of the best starts to an NFL career in the history of the league.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/24/16044818/2017-nfl-draft-top-prospects-leonard-fournette-deshaun-watson-302c5ae6434c

Here's a video on the Rich Eisen show where he never predicts Watson having an all elite start to his career.  In fact, he says that he'll have issues and that a team should build around him.  Don't get me wrong - Lombardi likes him, but never predicted what you say he did.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that your single with no kids. Who the hell has time to dig up quotes and videos? We're just busting balls and having fun. Don't take it so serious. 

8 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that your single with no kids. Who the hell has time to dig up quotes and videos? We're just busting balls and having fun. Don't take it so serious. 

Heard of this new fangled thing called Google Search?  It's really something!  It only takes all of about 20 seconds to look for something you search for.  Try it out!  www.google.com.  Type in the search bar at the top, "Mike Lombardi + Deshaun Watson".  Look at what appears.  MAGICAL!!

Edited by IlliniGuy76

I would be pretty upset if the Jags didn't re-sign him, but if Allen Robinson ended up in Chicago I wouldn't be as upset.

13 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Heard of this new fangled thing called Google Search?  It's really something!  It only takes all of about 20 seconds to look for something you search for.  Try it out!  www.google.com.  Type in the search bar at the top, "Mike Lombardi + Deshaun Watson".  Look at what appears.  MAGICAL!!

The fact that it bothers you that much tells me your a real d-bag. You take this way to serious, calm down. It's all in fun. 

Way too much recency bias here.  We've seen plenty of quarterbacks muck through their first year and blossom in their second and third years.  Likewise, we've seen plenty of flash-in-the-pan QBs who light up the world for a string of games and disappear.

I've always thought the offseason is a great equalizer.  Give teams 8 months to study the tape on Watson, Jimmy G, etc., and let's see how defenses adjust, and how those players and their offenses adjust back.  I don't mean to say that Watson or Jimmy won't be good or great.  The sample is just too small.

As far as Trubisky is concerned, a rookie year on a team with no receivers, with a coaching staff that literally only allowed him to throw the ball 7 times in one game, I consider the sample to be a wash.  Here we are talking about all the interesting ways that Nagy can use Cohen and Shaheen, two players whom the coaching staff basically refused to play for large swaths of the season.  Another reason why Trubisky's sample size is a wash, in my opinion.

The Bears have finally retained Fangio.  Their main coaching positions are now all filled.  It's been a very positive off season for the Bears so far.

• Like 1

Not sure why they fell off this year, but I wouldn't mind them grabbing Snead from the Saint & Gabriel from the Falcon.

Edited by psygolf

On 1/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, psygolf said:

Not sure why they fell off this year, but I wouldn't mind them grabbing Snead from the Saint & Gabriel from the Falcon.

Noooo , maybe Saint Gabriel (if there even is one ) could perform a miracle with those kinds of guys. Aim higher to give Mitch a guy that can bail him out once in a while