xlpdroc@metrocast.net

2018 - League Settings - General Discussion

11 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

How long does it take to do a 12 team auction draft? My leagues thinking about switching from snake to auction, but one of the concerns is that the draft will drag on forever 

I've tried it once over basic roto snake 10 teams and it took much longer. Didn't really enjoy it like I do drafting guys normally 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 12:12 PM, Squeeealer said:

I've messaged CBS a couple of times this season already asking them to install a two lineups a week option for 2019 - Mon-Thurs and Fri-Sun.  They claimed they would consider it.

My daily lineup leagues have owners, including me, who are getting tired of the daily grind. A lot of these leagues are filled with old dogs who have been doing this since the late 80s-early 90s and are just burned out. My weekly lineup leagues were a revelation - I loved them.  But suddenly they are not working as well with how MLB teams treat injuries and use the 10-day DL.  It's not that big of a deal to me, but other owners in my league hate the repercussions.

Would this option interest you as an owner?

I played in a league last year that has this feature on cbs.  You should be able to do it.

Looking to use wOBA in my roto league this year as it seems to be the most accurate representation of combining OBP and AVG in a way. I looked into it and the OBP player ranks to wOBA don't really seem to change, and in a roto league that would use AVG AND OBP (yes redundant I know) nothing else seems to change either.

Anyone have any thoughts as to if this is a good idea or not?

This Ringer article from a while back makes the case against using "advanced" stats in fantasy leagues better than I possibly could make it.  Once you move away from things that can be directly calculated as counting stats or ratios of counting stats per AB/PA/IP, you're getting a truer representation of that player's value, but that can be a bug instead of a feature for many, myself included.

I'm fine with OBP leagues, leagues that add SLG as a category, etc.  Once you get into things like wOBA with more arcane formulas that vary season-to-season based on that year's run environment, I think the game loses some of the simplicity, and it opens up the question of doing the same for pitchers, or just trying to maximize WAR, since that's an even truer representation of on-the-field value.

• Like 3

Yeah I figured it would probably just be mostly weird to use something like wOBA as its more of an underlying metric that comes from performance of other real stats

Using AVG and OBP in a roto league is just completely dumb though correct? Kinda just gives double value to getting on base?

Perhaps a better compromise is what ottoneu leagues are doing which is woba and fip but points based. I play in one and like it a lot.

Would like to keep roto though although definitely a good idea... think I may just go with AVG and then OPS!!

On 10/7/2018 at 9:38 AM, Short Porch said:

I played in a league last year that has this feature on cbs.  You should be able to do it.

I went in to try and I couldn't figure it out.  Then again, there was a selection called Custom in the scoring periods that wasn't working perhaps because this season is over.  It might be accessible once CBS renews.  Or if you have any more specific info about how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, bcarrey said:

Would like to keep roto though although definitely a good idea... think I may just go with AVG and then OPS!!

If you dont need the extra category, I would probably just go with OPS alone.

wOBA might be too advanced/cerebral. It's nice to see a box score and know what a guy did for your team. I really like OBP personally. I could see SLG as a stat too. 

Just my opinion. If you have a league of stat dorks (used affectionately) then do what makes you all happy.

The 2 main purposes of fantasy baseball is to 1) Have Fun and  2) Win Money

Using advanced stats, is often a hinderance to both.  I don't think it's as much fun to use advanced stats which are not easy to quickly calculate while watching baseball (we still watch the actual games sometimes, right? :) ) and as for winning money, advanced stats would attract a smarter crowd and improve competition.

Edited by KingJoffrey
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

wOBA might be too advanced/cerebral. It's nice to see a box score and know what a guy did for your team. I really like OBP personally. I could see SLG as a stat too. 

Just my opinion. If you have a league of stat dorks (used affectionately) then do what makes you all happy.

I appeciate your use of the word affectionately , but if you’re playing fantasy baseball conpetivley you're  a stat dork... I suppose there are different levels though.

Even though I've never played categories with woba( I have points) still seems pretty easy to tell how your player did by looking at the box scores. If he went 1-4 with a single, not a great game. 1-4 with a double or two singles, an OK game, anything more is a good game.

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I appeciate your use of the word affectionately , but if you’re playing fantasy baseball conpetivley you're  a stat dork... I suppose there are different levels though.

Even though I've never played categories with woba( I have points) still seems pretty easy to tell how your player did by looking at the box scores. If he went 1-4 with a single, not a great game. 1-4 with a double or two singles, an OK game, anything more is a good game.

Would you use SIERA for pitchers then?

22 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Would you use SIERA for pitchers then?

I'd be less likely to use an advanced stat for pitching in a categories league. With Woba, you're still getting what the guy earned, just properly weighted. With advanced pitching stats, it's more like "what they should have got". BABIP inflates or deflates WOBA.

Again, if you want to try a stat with advanced leagues, I still recommend Ottoneu points. I feel like playing in such leagues is a good mix from the normal, and might even help your understanding of player value enough to help you in standard formats... it's helped me.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 8:50 PM, bcarrey said:

Using AVG and OBP in a roto league is just completely dumb though correct? Kinda just gives double value to getting on base?

Everything gives double value,  to an extent.  I play in a avg/ops league.  Works out fine. 

2 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Everything gives double value,  to an extent.  I play in a avg/ops league.  Works out fine. 

Yeah, but assuming you mean 6x6 (standard 5x5 plus OPS and some other SP category) then you're devaluing steals significantly, among other things.  That may be on purpose -- some people think steals are too scarce and have an outsized impact on fantasy as compared to their value on the field -- but it should be noted as a potential drawback.

Any change from the norm is going to have side effects.  As long as people are aware of them, it's fine, but some of these things can be subtle, and make it so that analytical resources (including these forums!) are less useful, because the value of the player in your league deviates significantly enough from the values in more popular formats.

If you play in a league made up entirely of people who will run their own projections customized for that format and who can mentally account for the diminished value of steals when they look at rankings / discussion of players, then there's no loss.  But this is the kind of thing that makes me more of a 5x5 traditionalist who dabbles in 5x5 with OBP instead of AVG.

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Yeah, but assuming you mean 6x6 (standard 5x5 plus OPS and some other SP category) then you're devaluing steals significantly, among other things.  That may be on purpose -- some people think steals are too scarce and have an outsized impact on fantasy as compared to their value on the field -- but it should be noted as a potential drawback.

Any change from the norm is going to have side effects.  As long as people are aware of them, it's fine, but some of these things can be subtle, and make it so that analytical resources (including these forums!) are less useful, because the value of the player in your league deviates significantly enough from the values in more popular formats.

If you play in a league made up entirely of people who will run their own projections customized for that format and who can mentally account for the diminished value of steals when they look at rankings / discussion of players, then there's no loss.  But this is the kind of thing that makes me more of a 5x5 traditionalist who dabbles in 5x5 with OBP instead of AVG.

Yes.  That's one of the big reasons we did it.  Sbs carried too much weight for us,  and a bunch of us wanted an obp representative.  So, standard 5 plus OPS, killed the W for QS and added k/9. Plus some other quirks to avoid the all RP or the all stream guy.  It's no Otteneau or anything,  but works great. 

While everything you said was true. SBs are still worth a decent amount in 6X6 OPS. Trea Turner still brings a top 15 Hitting season 6X6(He was 10th best in 5X5). Altuve was still a top player in 2017.

ESPN player rater had Gordon as the 4th best player in 2017.  When a 3 cat guy had a better season then across the board players like Goldy and Jose Ramirez were. Or Mamoth 50 HR seasons with respectable BA's from Judge/Stanton. That is what Wahoo is talking about. Gordon's 2017 was still top 20-40 player in 6X6.  Yes adding 24 more roto points into the equation gives more flexibility to strength/weakness builds. Yet i've rarely seen anyone win my own league that wasn't near the top in Steals personally. Balance still does the work.

Steals are still the only stat that HR rate has 0.0 affect on. Adding another stat that encompasses HR rate gives more value juice to power hitter, but it doesn't take the scarcity factor out.

Of course it has the inverse problem of bumping up value of previously 3 category power hitters(Davis, Gallo) likely too much. It mainly comes down to that a lot of fantasy baseball players are still baseball fans. So that "bug" is more acceptable.

The pure fantasy players who don't actually like baseball that much probably wouldn't be a fan of those changes.

Edited by Slatykamora

On 10/5/2018 at 4:48 PM, TrueToTheBlue said:

How long does it take to do a 12 team auction draft? My leagues thinking about switching from snake to auction, but one of the concerns is that the draft will drag on forever 

My main league has been auction since the mid 1990's and it is a time commitment, almost need to make it an "event".   Ours in usually on a Saturday night.  We typically start late afternoon like around 5pm for "first call" and with breaks built in, etc...its usually a good 4-5 hours and that is with part of the 23-spot rosters filled by keepers but we also have some breaks built into that.  We usually do a 5-10 minute break after 2-3 times around the room calling out player for bid in the early going, in the late going as teams start to fill up and are done so less teams calling and also the players are not seeing as much bidding, it goes quicker and during that stretch its more like 3-5 times around the room. 

I would say a 12-team (not sure on roster size) group that was there to "get things done" could get an auction done maybe 3-4 hours.  Little more social crowd with breaks, more in the 5 hour range. 

*The Auctioneer goes along way in keeping things moving and having consistent process. 

*Do not make the mistake one of my football leagues tries to do which is have the bids up on the board each time its made, who has the bid etc...takes forever just make sure the auctioneer is clear who has the bid and how much. 

* One of the big things to move things along is dont call stars for $1, get to the point you think there gonna go for and move the process along. 

Has anyone heard of OR is there any possible way to set up a league with this type of setting:

A DAILY setting for all your hitters, but a WEEKLY line up setting for all your pitchers. (This would be for H2H leagues). 

I think this would revolutionize the way fantasy baseball is played for many reasons. First, it takes more strategy as you need to map out your pitchers and their opponents and also your opponents pitchers for the week, yet it keeps you strategizing your hitters (i.e. you can still do platoons) and maximizing your bench. 

It helps in the areas that I feel fantasy baseball are weakest at i.e. the constant streaming of s--- pitchers just because you need starts, the maximizing of your bullpen picking up any warm body that is considered a 'closer'.

Anyone heard or seen a setting like this? 

2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Has anyone heard of OR is there any possible way to set up a league with this type of setting:

A DAILY setting for all your hitters, but a WEEKLY line up setting for all your pitchers. (This would be for H2H leagues). 

I think this would revolutionize the way fantasy baseball is played for many reasons. First, it takes more strategy as you need to map out your pitchers and their opponents and also your opponents pitchers for the week, yet it keeps you strategizing your hitters (i.e. you can still do platoons) and maximizing your bench. 

It helps in the areas that I feel fantasy baseball are weakest at i.e. the constant streaming of s--- pitchers just because you need starts, the maximizing of your bullpen picking up any warm body that is considered a 'closer'.

Anyone heard or seen a setting like this? 

Couldnt you just make that a rule in your league even if perhaps a site doesnt have the capability to do that?  So just say hitters can be changed out daily, but pitchers are set Monday morning 9am or something and cant be changed for the week, any changes made and you forfeit the week.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, parrothead said:

Couldnt you just make that a rule in your league even if perhaps a site doesnt have the capability to do that?  So just say hitters can be changed out daily, but pitchers are set Monday morning 9am or something and cant be changed for the week, any changes made and you forfeit the week.  

That's such a hassle tho, and it almost guarantees that at some point in the season someone is going to try to cheat their way through it. A setting that allows this capability would be so much of a better option. 

3 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

That's such a hassle tho, and it almost guarantees that at some point in the season someone is going to try to cheat their way through it. A setting that allows this capability would be so much of a better option. 

I guess you and I have vastly different definitions of "hassle"...I guess it just comes from what youre used to, I started playing this silly game when it was not online, my buddy did all the stats from the sunday newspaper, you had to call the commissioner with pickups and actually ask him who was available because there was no where to view it other than the stats which could be up to two weeks old, because he did them every 2 weeks.  Even today, transactions are posted onto the board and I as commissioner process all of them twice a week.  If people cant follow a simple rule you think would make the league better that kind of stinks.  

2 hours ago, parrothead said:

I guess you and I have vastly different definitions of "hassle"...I guess it just comes from what youre used to, I started playing this silly game when it was not online, my buddy did all the stats from the sunday newspaper, you had to call the commissioner with pickups and actually ask him who was available because there was no where to view it other than the stats which could be up to two weeks old, because he did them every 2 weeks.  Even today, transactions are posted onto the board and I as commissioner process all of them twice a week.  If people cant follow a simple rule you think would make the league better that kind of stinks.  

I guess what I am saying is that it would be a pretty simple thing to code into the framework of a league setup on Yahoo and it would make the entire process 100x easier.