89Topps

2018 Hall of Fame voting thread

Is it ok to post a Hall of Fame discussion in this forum?  If not, please move mods.

Chipper & Thome look to be first ballot locks.
Vlad will easily get in this year as well.
Bonds & Clemens getting closer, both at about 66%.  Probably will get in, in 2-3 years.
Hoffman (78%) & Edgar (80%) are on the bubble.  I expect both to narrowly miss as the non-public (old crummedgin) voters will drop their percentages down.

A couple I'm really surprised by, Scott Rolen & Andruw Jones are both in jeopardy of falling off the ballot (under 5%) in their first year's on the ballot.

Both are arguably qualified based on their offensive numbers, but their elite defense must be almost universally ignored by voters.  Rolen was very good defensively and Jones might be one of the best defensive CF of all time.  Very confusing and a fate I don't think either deserves.

3 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Is it ok to post a Hall of Fame discussion in this forum?  If not, please move mods.

Chipper & Thome look to be first ballot locks.
Vlad will easily get in this year as well.
Bonds & Clemens getting closer, both at about 66%.  Probably will get in, in 2-3 years.
Hoffman (78%) & Edgar (80%) are on the bubble.  I expect both to narrowly miss as the non-public (old crummedgin) voters will drop their percentages down.

A couple I'm really surprised by, Scott Rolen & Andruw Jones are both in jeopardy of falling off the ballot (under 5%) in their first year's on the ballot.

Both are arguably qualified based on their offensive numbers, but their elite defense must be almost universally ignored by voters.  Rolen was very good defensively and Jones might be one of the best defensive CF of all time.  Very confusing and a fate I don't think either deserves.

Andruw should be a HOFer, as should edgar. Vlad first ballot for sure.

C. Jones, Vlad, and Thome should get in. I'd be fine if the rest don't. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1

I agree with Fuzzy Slippers about his 3. But also agree with 2ndCitySox that A.Jones to me is a Hall of Famer. I feel like his glove is being completely ignored. The guy had respectable numbers and aged as someone who wasn’t on the juice should. He wasn’t a superstar in the normal sense of the word but he was very consistent and phenomenal defensively. 

Chipper, Vlad and Thome I think all should be in, for me Edgar and Hoff should as well. 

I think Andruw Jones way before Rolen, Rolen was a great glove, but just not enough HOF seasons.   Jones I would hope would get 5%, if Rolen didnt I wouldnt think that some great injustice, lots of great players have not gotten the HOF love, I think Matt Williams is more deserving than Rolen, heck my boyhood hero Graig Nettles, Mr. San Diego State and then the Pads later in his career was all time HR leader for 3B and a great glove (just watched seasons and his performance in 78 world series is legendary). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

I agree with Fuzzy Slippers about his 3. But also agree with 2ndCitySox that A.Jones to me is a Hall of Famer. I feel like his glove is being completely ignored. The guy had respectable numbers and aged as someone who wasn’t on the juice should. He wasn’t a superstar in the normal sense of the word but he was very consistent and phenomenal defensively. 

dude won 10 consecutive GG, played no less than 153 games from age 20-30  

you put ozzie in the HOF, Andrew Jones needs to be in

still cant believe vladdy wasnt 1st ballot

9 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

dude won 10 consecutive GG, played no less than 153 games from age 20-30  

you put ozzie in the HOF, Andrew Jones needs to be in

still cant believe vladdy wasnt 1st ballot

Tough call for me on Jones. Had 10 really good years than just fell off the map at age 31. But 400+ HRs and 10 GGs is probably worthy at this point. Not getting an MVP definitely hurts him IMO.

• Like 1

Idk about Jim Thome

I never really thought he was a HOFer

He hit home runs during an era when alot of guys hit home runs. He led the league in HRs once

Five All-Star games us also pretty light.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Idk about Jim Thome

I never really thought he was a HOFer

He hit home runs during an era when alot of guys hit home runs. He led the league in HRs once

Five All-Star games us also pretty light.

All-Star game nods are flawed since they have to take one player from each team. They aren't necessarily taking the best players. 2001-02 Mike Sweeney was taken over him because they had to have a Royal.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Tough call for me on Jones. Had 10 really good years than just fell off the map at age 31. But 400+ HRs and 10 GGs is probably worthy at this point. Not getting an MVP definitely hurts him IMO.

So how many players leave the game after leading the league in any catagory or winning an MVP. Of course they go south. But you pointed out the reasons Jones should be in the HOF . We aren't talking 5-6 years like some . We are talking a freaking decade of superstar baseball. I hate watering down the HOF with good or very good players but Chipper Jones deserves his place . Vlad for sure and Thome hit a crap load of homeruns. So what if he didn't lead the league. How many 500 plus home run hitters are there. How many of them that beat Thome out for the homerun leader board during his career will be in the HOF ? 4-5 and well deserved.  Only 27 members of the 500 club. Yes Thome should be in. I'm not so keen on Hoffman. Sorry but throwing one of two pitches and getting a save doesn't work for me.

4 minutes ago, motown magic said:

So how many players leave the game after leading the league in any catagory or winning an MVP. Of course they go south. But you pointed out the reasons Jones should be in the HOF . We aren't talking 5-6 years like some . We are talking a freaking decade of superstar baseball. I hate watering down the HOF with good or very good players but Chipper Jones deserves his place . Vlad for sure and Thome hit a crap load of homeruns. So what if he didn't lead the league. How many 500 plus home run hitters are there. How many of them that beat Thome out for the homerun leader board during his career will be in the HOF ? 4-5 and well deserved.  Only 27 members of the 500 club. Yes Thome should be in. I'm not so keen on Hoffman. Sorry but throwing one of two pitches and getting a save doesn't work for me.

Why are you bringing Thome, Hoff, Vlad, chipper into this. I was just talking about Andruw Jones.

50 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

All-Star game nods are flawed since they have to take one player from each team. They aren't necessarily taking the best players. 2001-02 Mike Sweeney was taken over him because they had to have a Royal.

They also only reward players who perform pre-ASB

Still though, over an entire career they seem to be a good indicator

8 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

They also only reward players who perform pre-ASB

Still though, over an entire career they seem to be a good indicator

More of an indicator of a very popular player than of a great player since it is a fan vote.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Why are you bringing Thome, Hoff, Vlad, chipper into this. I was just talking about Andruw Jones.

Yes but we are also talking about the others as well. One post rather than two. I made my point about your post and added a little about a couple of other players. Guess I didn't get the memo about not being about to do that.

Just now, motown magic said:

Yes but we are also talking about the others as well. One post rather than two. I made my point about your post and added a little about a couple of other players. Guess I didn't get the memo about not being about to do that.

Gotcha, it's ok to be lazy from time to time. No memo needed.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

To me, it's almost criminal that Omar Vizquel is getting near 30% of the vote and Jones is hovering around 5%.  Both were elite defensively at their position, Omar posted a 28.4 career dWAR, while Jones was at 24.1.  But, Jones dwarfs Vizquel offensively nearly across the board.  

Jones career bWAR of 62.8.  Vizquel , 45.3.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2018 at 6:56 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Was is Scott Roland even on the ballot?  I mean really.  Hall is suppose to be for great players; not good players.

Of course Scott ROLEN is on the ballot.  Basically, if you have 10 good years, you're on the ballot.  

I mean, Chris Carpenter, Livan Hernandez, Orlando Hudson, Aubrey Huff, Jason Isringhausen, Carlos Lee, Brad Lidge, Kevin Millwood, Jamie Moyer & Carlos Zambrano are on the ballot.

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2018 at 8:51 PM, parrothead said:

Chipper, Vlad and Thome I think all should be in, for me Edgar and Hoff should as well. 

I think Andruw Jones way before Rolen, Rolen was a great glove, but just not enough HOF seasons.   Jones I would hope would get 5%, if Rolen didnt I wouldnt think that some great injustice, lots of great players have not gotten the HOF love, I think Matt Williams is more deserving than Rolen, heck my boyhood hero Graig Nettles, Mr. San Diego State and then the Pads later in his career was all time HR leader for 3B and a great glove (just watched seasons and his performance in 78 world series is legendary). 

Boy, Matt Williams over Scott Rolen is a pretty tough argument to make.  Rolen, statistically, is better than Williams almost across the board.

Average:  Rolen .281, Williams .268

OBP:  Rolen .364, Williams .317

SLG:  Rolen .490, Williams .489

OPS: Rolen .855, Williams .805

Home Runs: Rolen 316, Williams 378

Rs:  Rolen 1211, Williams 997

RBIs:  Rolen 1287, Williams 1218

SBs:  Rolen 118, Williams 53

wRC+:  Rolen 122, Williams 110

dWAR:  Rolen 20.6, Williams 12.3

bWAR:  Rolen 70, Williams 46.4

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Of course Scott ROLEN is on the ballot.  Basically, if you have 10 good years, you're on the ballot.  

I mean, Chris Carpenter, Livan Hernandez, Orlando Hudson, Aubrey Huff, Jason Isringhausen, Carlos Lee, Brad Lidge, Kevin Millwood, Jamie Moyer & Carlos Zambrano are on the ballot.

O-Dawg will probably get a vote.

18 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

O-Dawg will probably get a vote.

Moyer did.

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

This is where it gets watered down. Just take a good look at the names. Should they be among the likes of Ruth , Mays and Aaron?  Good players but elite? I don't think so . Please lets stop the bleeding .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, motown magic said:

This is where it gets watered down. Just take a good look at the names. Should they be among the likes of Ruth , Mays and Aaron?  Good players but elite? I don't think so . Please lets stop the bleeding .

Most players are on and off the ballot in one year because they dont get any votes...the big issue is I think the accumulators who were never GREAT but stayed around a long time AND the guys who had GREAT windows but were not around long enough.  

Whats becoming tougher is the 10 player limit as things stack up, some guys who really might grow over time in their voting, I think 15 votes OR 15% total after 3 years.  I was looking at Andruw Jones comps and one player was Duke Snider, who I thought probably got in pretty easy, you know "Willie, Mickey and the Duke" and probably the best everyday player on those legendary Brooklyn Dodger teams, anyhow, looking at his voting, he didnt get in until 1980, got like 83% of the vote by 1980, but in his first year?  He got 17% who knows if they had less spots he might of gotten less. 

The hard part is knowing are they in because they were GREAT or are they in because they had a great career?  Lots of pitchers who were better than Don Sutton are not in the Hall of Fame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Most players are on and off the ballot in one year because they dont get any votes...the big issue is I think the accumulators who were never GREAT but stayed around a long time AND the guys who had GREAT windows but were not around long enough.  

Whats becoming tougher is the 10 player limit as things stack up, some guys who really might grow over time in their voting, I think 15 votes OR 15% total after 3 years.  I was looking at Andruw Jones comps and one player was Duke Snider, who I thought probably got in pretty easy, you know "Willie, Mickey and the Duke" and probably the best everyday player on those legendary Brooklyn Dodger teams, anyhow, looking at his voting, he didnt get in until 1980, got like 83% of the vote by 1980, but in his first year?  He got 17% who knows if they had less spots he might of gotten less. 

The hard part is knowing are they in because they were GREAT or are they in because they had a great career?  Lots of pitchers who were better than Don Sutton are not in the Hall of Fame. 

I agree with you 100 % . Thats why I say STOP THE BLEEDING NOW !

Chipper, Vladimir, Clemens, and Bonds should all get in this year. All time greats. Andruw better not fall under 5%.