SpecialFNK

Evan Gattis 2018 Outlook

is Evan Gattis going into the 2018 season as the starting DH for the Astros?

some interesting numbers for Gattis in recent years at catcher compared to DH.

17 C- 184 AB - .288/.335/.543/.878

17 DH- 101 AB - .218/.271/.309/.580

16 C- 190 AB - .295/.345/.647/.992

16 DH- 248 AB - .218/.298/.411/.709

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting splits. One think I instantly thought about to justify these numbers is the quality of pitchers he was going against. Was there a typical pitcher he caught for? If so was that at the back of the rotation? And if that is the case wouldn't he have been facing the the other team's 3rd, 4th, or 5th pitchers? Obviously a lot of "IFS" there. IF that is the case it could explain a little of the massive split.

Fangraphs has shown there's about a 10% penalty for most players who just DH. 

13 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Fangraphs has shown there's about a 10% penalty for most players who just DH. 

that's interesting.. you mean, like their overall real life stat-line is worse as compared to when they play the field?

in other words, is this a fantasy thing, or a real life baseball thing?

I have coached for many years and  when I did HS we used the DH - I know some of my guys felt like they hit better when they were "in the game", honestly Gattis strikes me as the type of guy but his 2015 numbers when he was primarily the DH were pretty good.  So maybe its more matchup based as was suggested. 

How this guy hit 11 triples in 2015 has to be one of baseball's biggest mysteries. In his other 1400+ AB he has 1 triple....This is "30 for 30" material.

The DH phenomenon as it affects stats is intriguing. I’d always assumed the opposite: guys like Papi and Boomstick thrives in the DH slot and didn’t have to worry about defense or injury in the field. 

That aside, Gattis has th upside to be a top 5 catcher in fantasy this year if he stays healthy and improves his plate discipline marginally. 

RotoChamp has him as their starting DH hitting in the 9 hole. Lots of competition for ABs on that team, do you think he gets every day PT?

Absolutely no interest, waiver wire fodder. And he should be for all of you too. 

On 1/11/2018 at 8:16 AM, Dark Kn19ht said:

Very interesting splits. One think I instantly thought about to justify these numbers is the quality of pitchers he was going against. Was there a typical pitcher he caught for? If so was that at the back of the rotation? And if that is the case wouldn't he have been facing the the other team's 3rd, 4th, or 5th pitchers? Obviously a lot of "IFS" there. IF that is the case it could explain a little of the massive split.

Rotations don't stay lined up that way for more than a week or two.

16 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Absolutely no interest, waiver wire fodder. And he should be for all of you too. 

Waiver wire fodder? As a catcher? 

16 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Rotations don't stay lined up that way for more than a week or two.

Thank you. People talk about this in other areas and it always frustrates me due to what you stated. Days off throw it all out of whack pretty quickly. 

He's penciled in as the primary DH. He didn't get many ABs last year between Marwin's breakout/McCann/Beltran's farewell "DH" tour. I'll take 425 AB with 20+ HR from my 20th round C.

• Like 1

Gattis is not in the lineup for the 2nd straight game. he hasn't been that good so far and I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/news/155168/evan-gattis-absence-from-lineup-continues.php

Evan Gattis was not in the starting lineup for the second consecutive game, but did enter as a pinch-hitter for Josh Reddick and was subsequently hit by a pitch and awarded first base. The Astros lost to the Twins 4-1.

Fantasy Impact:

Gattis was given a second consecutive day off, which was not received well by his fantasy owners. Astros manager A.J. Hinch was giving fielding rest days to George Springer on Monday and Jose Altuve last night, taking Gattis' DH-role. It's been a bit of a struggle for Gattis to start the year, currently mired in a 2-for-18 slump, a return to the lineup should be expected today. Owners should stay patient as Gattis is typically a slow starter and his power numbers begin to surge in May.

18 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Gattis is not in the lineup for the 2nd straight game. he hasn't been that good so far and I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

I acquired him pre-season, figuring getting 60-70% at-bats at DH with offensive skills was better than most catchers available, but my concern with him was always the depth of the Astros and he could lose at-bats, ultimately I think over the course of the year, his numbers will still be C1 numbers just maybe not what some where hoping for.  

Man he has been bad. Catchers are such a drag in Fantasy.

I thought Gattis was going to be one of the better rated catchers this season, C eligible playing full time as the DH. but he has sucked! I imagine this has to be concerning. the Astros don't need to keep playing Gattis at DH when they have other options.

Do worry about his PT now. They might rather give Fisher DH AB's long term if Gattis continues to do nothing. So many pieces, it might be the start of the end of fantasy relevancy for G man.

Problem is the wire is threadbare at C. Gah catchers...hate em. 

Play no catcher instead? Some teams I notice do it.

I have him and Iannetta as my two headed catching monster.  Iannetta plays at Coors, Gattis the rest of the time.  I do hope Gattis gets a little hot and justifies his spot.  I havent watched much Houston games...is he just clueless up there or is it something more?

Never thought I'd say this, but I regret drafting Gattis. Thought he was going to be great. 

Hes been a slow starter in past seasons and then gotten hot around May. I wouldnt jump ship yet.