Sign in to follow this  
Bigfische

Julio Urias 2018 outlook

Um no. He suffered what is likely the most catastrophic injury a pitcher can.

He had surgery the end of June and was given a rough 12-16 month POSSIBILITY of a timeline-

He has a long road ahead and will likely need years to build back up. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He had surgery the end of June and was given a rough 12-16 month POSSIBILITY of a timeline-

Yeah.  My guess is he will never pitch again.  But hey maybe he can make it back years from now.  I hate to see his career having ended before it began.  But I just don't see him ever getting back.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

8 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I know it's PubMed, but if you give this an actual read, anterior capsule surgery isn't the death sentence many people thought in his 2017 thread. The study looked at mainly older athletes - since it's most common there - and came to the conclusion that the majority of pitchers return to pre-injury form in roughly 13 months. 

Seeing as Urias is only 21 years old, he's probably going to be back pitching a healthy amount of innings when the winter leagues start up next season. He'd be a great buy in late 2018/early 2019 for dynasty owners. There is more evidence to suggest he'd be fine once he's through rehab than not.

For 2018, we don't even need a thread... He will not pitch in the MLB this year for a few reasons: 1) his rehab schedule puts him returning sometime around August, but he'd need time to get back in his "groove", so he'd be in the minors. 2) The Dodgers won't need him. 3) The Dodgers aren't a stupid organization and have no reason to rush him back.

• Like 3