svdude

Machado vs Bregman

I currently have Machado and am looking at some trade scenarios which involve me sending Machado for Bregman (other pieces involved, but not relevant for this question).

My thoughts are BA/runs/rbi's are close to a push.  Bregman maybe a slight nod in BA for future years?

For power Machado clearly has the advantage this year, but Bregman will continue to grow into more power and should not be too far behind in future years?

As for speed, Bregman looks to have the advantage this year and in the future.

How far apart are Bregman and Machado in the traditional 5x5 categories this year and then future years?  Who would you want longer term and how close is it?

I think Machado is still a top 15 player in dynasty. Bregman around the 25th-30th guy, so it's close. I don't think Bregman will approach Machado's power. 

I wouldn't generally advocate trading a young third baseman for another young third baseman unless you think one is going to crater, but if you are looking to get some key depth pieces then it could make sense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schulni said:

I think Machado is still a top 15 player in dynasty. Bregman around the 25th-30th guy, so it's close. I don't think Bregman will approach Machado's power. 

I wouldn't generally advocate trading a young third baseman for another young third baseman unless you think one is going to crater, but if you are looking to get some key depth pieces then it could make sense.

I agree with this. However I would put Machado in the top 10 still and think there is upside from there. In Buster Olney's recent column on the top 10 3B in the league that most evaluators think Machado seemed bored most of last year and that if he focused he would be the top player at the position and one of the top in the sport. Hard to disagree that it would be tough to want to compete when most days your starter has given up 4-5 runs before the end of the 4th. If Machado gets new scenery (either this year or next) I think it could change the game. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, svdude said:

I currently have Machado and am looking at some trade scenarios which involve me sending Machado for Bregman (other pieces involved, but not relevant for this question).

My thoughts are BA/runs/rbi's are close to a push.  Bregman maybe a slight nod in BA for future years?

For power Machado clearly has the advantage this year, but Bregman will continue to grow into more power and should not be too far behind in future years?

As for speed, Bregman looks to have the advantage this year and in the future.

How far apart are Bregman and Machado in the traditional 5x5 categories this year and then future years?  Who would you want longer term and how close is it?

Manny is better now and Manny is the guy I would rather have for the next 7 years, when your talking about guys in their early to mid 20's, age shoudnt be a big issue.  This year Bregman has SS eligibility, but if Correa is healthy he probably wont next year, where as Machado is talking about signing with team who will let him play SS.

If you are the Machado owner, and you needed to upgrade another spot or 2 with another Bregman like player, so like maybe you were getting Bregman and Benitendi for Machado because you needed OF help plus maybe a pitcher throw in, then its something to consider, if you are talking a near straight up deal?  You are in the midst of Bregman being overvalued right now and Manny being undervalued, which is not a good place to make a deal from.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Machado is just the better all around player. It's as simple as that. 

I'm not sure what your trying to gain or receive from this trade and Manny for Bregman wouldn't make much sense except for eligibility which isn't even decided yet.  

Machado will not bring you any value since you are valuing him as near or equal to Bergman and many people are not going to pay full top 10 price for him.

Stay with him 

5 minutes ago, zstlj said:

I'm not sure what your trying to gain or receive from this trade and Manny for Bregman wouldn't make much sense except for eligibility which isn't even decided yet.  

Machado will not bring you any value since you are valuing him as near or equal to Bergman and many people are not going to pay full top 10 price for him.

Stay with him 

Wanted Ed to get opinions on them straight up.  

Machado is $18 more than Bregman, and this year Bregman gets Ss eligibility also.  When $5 raises per year come into play in my league, that is why I have been pondering a trade along these lines.

• Like 1

I would definitely think about dealing him then. If your team improves major from the money saved from Manny with a cheap solid solid replacement ss eligible then I'd go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 on a 260 scale?  Thats probably worth doing...

Our league is a little different.  Players assigned $ value based on round drafted, $17 for round 1, $16 for round 2, etc.  Then given $5 raise each year.  We keep 15 players for $320 (after raise values).  So in theory I could afford to keep Bregman for a couple extra years while using the extra $$ to improve team elsewhere.

11 hours ago, svdude said:

Our league is a little different.  Players assigned $ value based on round drafted, $17 for round 1, $16 for round 2, etc.  Then given $5 raise each year.  We keep 15 players for $320 (after raise values).  So in theory I could afford to keep Bregman for a couple extra years while using the extra $$ to improve team elsewhere.

That would be seen as a solid business choice

I’d rather have Machado but it would all depend on what other pieces I’d be getting with Bregman in the trade