parrothead

Travis Shaw 2018 Outlook

Dinger!  10th of the year.  

This guy could have a great year in a well improved Brewers Lineup.  His BB% is up this year and K% is down 4%.  Could be a 35 HR year with 100+ RBIs.  Ill take it for my 11th round pick

Just now, BustHerPosey said:

Dinger!  10th of the year.  

This guy could have a great year in a well improved Brewers Lineup.  His BB% is up this year and K% is down 4%.  Could be a 35 HR year with 100+ RBIs.  Ill take it for my 11th round pick

just need a good backup third basemen in daily...he can't hit lefties for s***

The decline vs LHP is troubling, and a lot worse than I realized.  He was bad against lefties in 2016 (53 wRC+)  with the Sox, but actually pretty okay against them last year at 96 wRC+.  This year so far, a pathetic 12 wRC+.  50 PA is enough of a sample to be really concerned.  You don't want this developing into a Jake Lamb sort of situation if you're valuing him as a top 10 3B.

• Like 1

Thoughts on Shaw ROS ?

Been frustrating so far, power numbers are decent but horrible consistency hitting. I expected a bit more after a good 2017 and adding Yelich and Cain to the lineup. Not sure if he's dealing with any lingering health issues or just a massive slump.

He has indeed been banged up lately and missed a few games, but I'm fine with the per-game production based on where he went in drafts.  His ADP was 85-ish and Yahoo has him ranked at 94 in my standard 5x5 roto league.  It looks from your signature like you've got a quirky 7x7 setup that might not value his skills the same way when it's double-counting the hit tool with hits and batting average.  The .253 BABIP (against a .296 career average) suggests better times could be ahead for his AVG if it normalizes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Thoughts on Shaw ROS ?

Been frustrating so far, power numbers are decent but horrible consistency hitting. I expected a bit more after a good 2017 and adding Yelich and Cain to the lineup. Not sure if he's dealing with any lingering health issues or just a massive slump.

I also expected something more after a really great 2017. ... counting stats are decent but that average against lefties & righties have fallen off from 2017 . 

9 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

He has indeed been banged up lately and missed a few games, but I'm fine with the per-game production based on where he went in drafts.  His ADP was 85-ish and Yahoo has him ranked at 94 in my standard 5x5 roto league.  It looks from your signature like you've got a quirky 7x7 setup that might not value his skills the same way when it's double-counting the hit tool with hits and batting average.  The .253 BABIP (against a .296 career average) suggests better times could be ahead for his AVG if it normalizes.

On ESPN Shaw is 140 in a 5x5 rotisserie but a 128 on a H2H 5x5 

wonder why the difference 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

wonder why the difference 

Yeah, it's murky.  Points calculations are easy -- the points are what they are.  When you get into roto, you have factors like scarcity of production in some categories (SB, SV,) and the fungibility of certain types of players (middle relievers, catchers, etc.) that distort the rankings.  Each provider has their own way they calculate the overall roto score from the raw z-score of each category, and once you get to ranking overall players (across different positions) you're going to get some significant skew based on that.  Really, you just want the player's roto ranking to be in the ballpark of where you drafted them, and I think Shaw's been fine in that regard.

• Like 1

I’m not starting him - wrist issues can be tricky.  I’d be surprised if he avoids the DL.

Edited by BMcP
  • Thanks 1

Tough call. I hate to sit him two straight weeks when he’s not in the DL, but last week he didn’t do much and missed three games, and I’m going to sit him with the thought that this week likely will be similar.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:19 PM, bigbluecrew56 said:

He's been utterly putrid against left handed pitching this year.

The "good" news is that his wRC+ vs. LHP is all the way up to 45.  Still Jake Lamb-esque, but at least moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately, the HR/FB is down around his career average of 15% after spiking at 20% last season, and  he's 0 for 2 in SB this year after going 10 for 10 last season.  10 steals isn't the world but it ain't nothing, either.  His .250 BABIP does offer some hope for improvement in the batting average, but I still feel like the loss of the steals and the poor performance vs. LHP is going to keep him well outside the top 10 at 3B this year.  (He's 25th right now.)  Might not be a bad time to sell if you have a better option covering the position and have someone who thinks he can get back into the top 5.

He's been awful lately. How do you guys feel about him going forward? His 1st/2nd half splits are pretty staggering, 2nd half being the worse of the two

MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports that the Brewers have considered the possibility of trading for Mike Moustakas and moving Travis Shaw to second base.

Would be a nice little boost in value if Shaw picked up 2B eligibility - stacked against other 2B current stats he'd be #4 in HRs and #3 in RBIs.  Gives you some flexibility for other slots if you're getting power from second.

So tough cause he has been pretty unlucky with that sub .250 BABIP and below 20% K-rate. Like right before I wrote this he hit a hard liner right into the glove of Ryan Zimmerman with the bases loaded... gotta believe those hits will start falling at some point.

2 minutes ago, hoops886 said:

I love him, but they might as well pinch hit/platoon him against lefties. He's useless.

2 times up with the bases loaded and both times empty... can't defend that

34 minutes ago, william said:

2 times up with the bases loaded and both times empty... can't defend that

He was way over-eager with the entire field in the IF and bases loaded.  Down on three pitches.

Just putting these here...

1st half: .299 avg, .570 slg, .937 ops

2nd half: .242 avg, .442 slg, .768 ops

1st half: .269 avg, .456 slg, .788 ops

2nd half: .194 avg, .360 slg, .619 ops

Sounds like he's potentially moving to 2B with the moustakas trade.  That'll play.

2 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Sounds like he's potentially moving to 2B with the moustakas trade.  That'll play.

hr ago | by RotoWire Staff
Shaw will receive regular time at second base due to Milwaukee's acquisition of Mike Moustakas, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Shaw will likely settle into the larger side of a platoon with Tyler Saladino and Hernan Perez, while also spelling Moustakas at the hot corner and Jesus Aguilar at first base in order to get his bat in the lineup. This will be an intriguing experiment as Shaw admitted that he's never played second base in his life -- the closest he came was shortstop in high school -- but the Brewers have had him field groundballs and partake in other drills at the keystone during warmups over the past few weeks in case this situation came about. Don't expect to see Shaw in the lineup against left-handed pitching, but he figures to remain a fixture when Milwaukee faces righties.

2B! I don't like the sounds of this platoon stuff though 

16 minutes ago, RTW10 said:
 hr ago | by RotoWire Staff
Shaw will receive regular time at second base due to Milwaukee's acquisition of Mike Moustakas, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Shaw will likely settle into the larger side of a platoon with Tyler Saladino and Hernan Perez, while also spelling Moustakas at the hot corner and Jesus Aguilar at first base in order to get his bat in the lineup. This will be an intriguing experiment as Shaw admitted that he's never played second base in his life -- the closest he came was shortstop in high school -- but the Brewers have had him field groundballs and partake in other drills at the keystone during warmups over the past few weeks in case this situation came about. Don't expect to see Shaw in the lineup against left-handed pitching, but he figures to remain a fixture when Milwaukee faces righties.

2B! I don't like the sounds of this platoon stuff though 

Yup. And he will also most likely be subbed out in the later innings for defense.