Sign in to follow this  
UberRebel

Please Help Me Choose 5 Keepers

10 Team Mixed H2H 7x7 Categories

(HR, R, RBI, SB, AVG, BB, SLG) x (W, K, SV, WHIP, ERA, BB, K)

*I have to choose 2 hitters, 2 pitchers, and 1 hitter/pitcher

*Because BBs and SLG are factored in on offense, players like Joey Votto are even more valuable than regular 5x5

*I want to find the right balance between star power (best overall players) and bargain (good value in terms of round). The rd listed after the player is where I'd get them.

Players with rd 22 after them means I picked them up from the WW and they would only cost a final round pick if kept. I can also trade some of these picks too, I feel like I have a lot of players at bargain rounds. Can't keep them all.

HITTERS

Paul Goldschmidt (Rd 1)

Joey Votto (Rd 2)

AJ Pollock (Rd 4)

JD Martinez (Rd 8)

Jake Lamb (Rd 17)

Starling Marte (Rd 22)

Joey Gallo (Rd 22)

Cesar Hernandez (Rd 22)

PITCHERS

Jacob DeGrom (Rd 6)

Carlos Carrasco (Rd 7)

James Paxton (Rd 22)

Aaron Nola (Rd 22)

Rich Hill (Rd 22)

Mike Clevinger (Rd 22)

Lucas Giolito (Rd 22)

My initial thoughts are:

1. Votto (Rd 2) --> must take him here. He's a 1st rd pick in this type of format. Great bargain.

2. JD Martinez (Rd 8) --> extreme bargain

3. James Paxton --> He's a stud at Rd 22

4. Carlos Carrasco --> Rd 7 is great deal

Have to decide between Goldy @ Rd 1 or Nola/Hill at Rd 22. Goldy is Goldy but him at Rd 1 isn't really a bargain.

Personally i'd go Goldy,Votto,JD,Carrasco,Degrom.

I understand your point of Paxton being a good value at 22 but Degrom has more upside imo and round 6 is still pretty solid. The rest are really no brainers. You aren't going to find anything better then Goldy in round 1 anyways unless someone is nuts and drops Trout or something so i'd easily take him over Hill or Nola.

Just my 2 cents though :)

I’d keep Goldschmidt, Votto, DeGrom and Carrasco for sure. Then choose between JDM, Lamb, Paxton and Nola for the 5th Keeper.

Mostly agree with Superdood. I might take Paxton over deGrom. Definitely take Goldy.

Goldy, Votto, Marte.  JDM is the other bat to consider.  Marte is a steal in the last round and steals are hard to come by.

Nola is the top pitcher here IMO.  I think he’s a top 15 pitcher this year.  His stuff is elite.  After that choice is between Carrasco and Paxton.

Goldy, JDM, Degrom, Carrasco, Paxton for me.  

Goldy is still good value at rnd 1.  Lucky to get him with a 1st round pick.

You don't just throw guys like Degrom and Carrasco back until they are costing you 2nd and 3rd round picks.

it was between Paxton and Votto for me.  Votto is hard to give up but in round two there should be good replacements.  You wouldn't get Paxton after the 10th round.  

Paul Goldschmidt , Joey Votto , AJ Pollock , JD Martinez, Jake Lamb or Starling Marte for the last pick. Depends who you like more. 

Man this is tough... Votto is a must. JD in the 8th is a must. Nola is a steal that late. 

deGrom and Carrasco both are good values, but I don't think I could justify keeping 3 arms. If it were me, I think I'd keep Carrasco.

Then I'd keep one more bat. Goldy is the best player left, Marte is the best value. I wouldn't really consider anyone else. Depending on what players will be available in the first, I'd keep Goldy. I'm sure other 1st round talent is being kept.

So for me it's Goldy (1) Votto (2), Carrasco (7), JDM (8) and Nola (22)

9 hours ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Man this is tough... Votto is a must. JD in the 8th is a must. Nola is a steal that late. 

deGrom and Carrasco both are good values, but I don't think I could justify keeping 3 arms. If it were me, I think I'd keep Carrasco.

Then I'd keep one more bat. Goldy is the best player left, Marte is the best value. I wouldn't really consider anyone else. Depending on what players will be available in the first, I'd keep Goldy. I'm sure other 1st round talent is being kept.

So for me it's Goldy (1) Votto (2), Carrasco (7), JDM (8) and Nola (22)

This

9 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Paul Goldschmidt , Joey Votto , AJ Pollock , JD Martinez, Jake Lamb or Starling Marte for the last pick. Depends who you like more. 

Not possible 

1 minute ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Haaaaave you met Rush?

Oh yes, I've even gone as far as asking rotoworld admins why they continue to allow his spectacularly bad advice to continue. 

I just enjoy trolling him from time to time since he incessantly trolls us! 

• Like 1

Why don't RW admins ban Rush? please do this, it is disgusting what he does.

If I were you I'd go bold and lean on that value at round 22. My keepers would be: Goldy, Votto, Paxton, and Nola, JD or Marte

You're gambling on that pitching coming through, but I think you could build an even better SP rotation with that starting depth rather than starting with deGrom in the 6th. Nola and Paxton were actually on part with deGrom with ERA/WHIP/QS/W, but just didn't have the innings to keep up with deGrom's K's. You could use the 6th inning to build on the solid start you already had at P by keeping those 2 in the 22nd.

Goldy and Votto don't need any explanation. I'd consider taking JD in the 8th over Marte, for more of a sure thing. However, I think this also depends on the makeup of your league. If you think all the speed is going to be kept I would probably keep Marte. With Votto and Goldy you already have power/avg./obp./slugging off to a great start, adding JD to that doesn't really address other team needs.

Marte at 22 is pretty dang good. Whats the possibility of you getting JD back in the 3rd?

On 1/12/2018 at 1:59 AM, UberRebel said:

10 Team Mixed H2H 7x7 Categories

(HR, R, RBI, SB, AVG, BB, SLG) x (W, K, SV, WHIP, ERA, BB, K)

*I have to choose 2 hitters, 2 pitchers, and 1 hitter/pitcher

*Because BBs and SLG are factored in on offense, players like Joey Votto are even more valuable than regular 5x5

*I want to find the right balance between star power (best overall players) and bargain (good value in terms of round). The rd listed after the player is where I'd get them.

Players with rd 22 after them means I picked them up from the WW and they would only cost a final round pick if kept. I can also trade some of these picks too, I feel like I have a lot of players at bargain rounds. Can't keep them all.

HITTERS

Paul Goldschmidt (Rd 1)

Joey Votto (Rd 2)

AJ Pollock (Rd 4)

JD Martinez (Rd 8)

Jake Lamb (Rd 17)

Starling Marte (Rd 22)

Joey Gallo (Rd 22)

Cesar Hernandez (Rd 22)

PITCHERS

Jacob DeGrom (Rd 6)

Carlos Carrasco (Rd 7)

James Paxton (Rd 22)

Aaron Nola (Rd 22)

Rich Hill (Rd 22)

Mike Clevinger (Rd 22)

Lucas Giolito (Rd 22)

I have to keep these 4. Paxton/Nola have to be keepers, not just because of 2018 upside, up the future too. If you want to punt one, punt Paxton. Nola is the real deal. 

After that, I'm torn between 1 of DeGrom, Carrasco, Goldy, and Marte. I'd advocate against Goldy, you're gonna get an elite talent with that pick if you pitch him back. Marte is a nice boost to steals late, with some pop and other counting stats, but not a guy you'll miss terribly. 

I don't think DeGrom or Carrasco are great values for their picks, IMO.