Fuzzy_Slippers

Jose Ramirez 2018 Outlook

This dude is simply phenomenal. Here's some info on him:

1. He finished in the top 15 in batting average. Of those 15 players, he had the lowest BABIP. Due to his GB/FB ratio being almost even, he could easily challenging for a batting title. His hard% jumped more than 7%.

2. He was one of 10 players that struck out less than 12% of the time in 2017. Of those players, he was the leader in ISO at .265. Who was the closest to him? Votto at .258. 

3. Lead the majors in doubles with 56.

He doesn't need to hit 30 homers to be an elite player. Even if he hits 20 - 25, he is a top 15 - 20 overall player in 2018. Do yourself a favor and draft this dude.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

1. He finished in the top 15 in batting average. Of those 15 players, he had the lowest BABIP. Due to his GB/FB ratio being almost even, he could easily challenging for a batting title. His hard% jumped more than 7%.

2. He was one of 10 players that struck out less than 12% of the time in 2017. Of those players, he was the leader in ISO at .265. Who was the closest to him? Votto at .258. 

He doesn't need to hit 30 homers to be an elite player. Even if he hits 20 - 25, he is a top 15 - 20 overall player in 2018. Do yourself a favor and draft this dude.

What's his ADP ? 

22 minutes ago, Topgun said:

What's his ADP ? 

Not sure, but I've seen him go in the 20 - 30 range. I would have zero issues taking him in the second round. If he really does make it to the third round, drafting him is a no-brainer.

• Thanks 1

my claim to fame on this site to be honest lol

ya, you can safely take him in the 2nd round depending on whos available.

would i take him over Kris Bryant or Joey Votto? no

over judge, springer, bellinger? yes

bold prediction: jose ram finishes higher than mookie betts....again

There were several discussions in his 2017 thread about him being a 1st rounder...good times. 

Considering he was hitting 6th, not 3rd for a good portion of last season, his stats could be even better. 

He did have 2 months where he was ice cold but when hes hot, hes HOT.

2B and 3B eligibility is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

my claim to fame on this site to be honest lol

ya, you can safely take him in the 2nd round depending on whos available.

would i take him over Kris Bryant or Joey Votto? no

over judge, springer, bellinger? yes

bold prediction: jose ram finishes higher than mookie betts....again

You’ve brought up Betts in the past two threads I’ve clicked on and neither were Betts threads. Is your goal to sneak a potshot on Betts into every player thread in 2018?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

His ISO says it all. 56 doubles could mean more creep over the wall next year also. My favorite player in roto no doubt

• Like 1

So let me get this straight

Pros

1. This guy has gotten better every year(including the minors)

2. He plays for the Indians who not only have a great lineup but get to prey on the unheralded AL Central pitching. (Hint: The best pitchers in that division not actually on the Indians is Fulmer and Rodon, maybe even Berrios)

3. He just missed 30/20 last year with a 318/370 line

4. He's what, 25/26? Just entering his prime.

5. He carries 2B/3B/OF eligibility and 2B is pretty darn weak.

6. Durability has never been a concern.

7. And he was unlucky last year?

Cons

1. He's streaky

You could make a case to draft this guy mid to late 1st round... You should draft this guy aggressively the moment the clock strikes Round 2.

Charlie Blackmon - 10 home runs = Jose Ramirez

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dkrocka said:

So let me get this straight

Pros

1. This guy has gotten better every year(including the minors)

2. He plays for the Indians who not only have a great lineup but get to prey on the unheralded AL Central pitching. (Hint: The best pitchers in that division not actually on the Indians is Fulmer and Rodon, maybe even Berrios)

3. He just missed 30/20 last year with a 318/370 line

4. He's what, 25/26? Just entering his prime.

5. He carries 2B/3B/OF eligibility and 2B is pretty darn weak.

6. Durability has never been a concern.

7. And he was unlucky last year?

Cons

1. He's streaky

You could make a case to draft this guy mid to late 1st round... You should draft this guy aggressively the moment the clock strikes Round 2.

Charlie Blackmon - 10 home runs = Jose Ramirez

Being streaky matters in head to head though. 

I like Jose a lot but I don't think you'll find a deal on him in any league. He's a guy I will nominate very early and expect a bidding war. 

I was very fortunate to inherit a keeper team that has this guy on contract through 2020. Dilly Dilly! Lol. 

How much are we buying into the HR explosion? I mean...he had hit 32 HR in his entire professional career from 2011-16 before hitting 29 last year. I know the 56 DBs is a good sign, but is the 25-30 HR range something he can keep up? Frankly, I'll take 20-15 at 2B with a .300+ BA on a good roster all day, lol, but I'm just curious what everyone is thinking about the sudden power show in 2017. 

7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

How much are we buying into the HR explosion?

His power is no fluke. He's joined the school of Turner and Murphy et al. and joined the ranks of the pulled Fly-Ball/Launch Angle crowd. I'm expecting him to stay in the 25+ range as long as he's getting 600 ABs. In fact I think he could push his totals into the 30+ range with some good fortune. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I was very fortunate to inherit a keeper team that has this guy on contract through 2020. Dilly Dilly! Lol. 

How much are we buying into the HR explosion? I mean...he had hit 32 HR in his entire professional career from 2011-16 before hitting 29 last year. I know the 56 DBs is a good sign, but is the 25-30 HR range something he can keep up? Frankly, I'll take 20-15 at 2B with a .300+ BA on a good roster all day, lol, but I'm just curious what everyone is thinking about the sudden power show in 2017. 

25 is a reasonable expectation

• Thanks 1

Though 35 is not out of reach. Every time I think this guy just needs to sustain his numbers, he proves me wrong and pisses on my expectation

On 1/12/2018 at 2:12 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

When you look at across the board numbers:

.315+ with 25+HR with 80+RBI 100+ Runs and 15+ Steals - how many guys had that last year?

I think he was the only one, obviously some guys really close one way or another, but just goes to show how good this guy was last year.  The power is a bit surprising, in the minors this guy hit about 1 HR every 100 at-bats, I think that and the fact he was never an uber elite top 100 prospect I think is actually holding his value down a bit right now.  In many of the Bench Coach discussions where this guy is in a deal or a keeper talk, at least anecdotally it feels like he is undervalued.  

He's sitting at 19ish composite ADP currently Fantasy Pros doesn't have him sorted correctly due to no Fantrax rank.  I notified them..  In my points league, he's projected as the #6 overall hitter.  If he only had a few more SB's then Altuve's reign would be threatened.  52 doubles :o

PLAYER AB R H 1B 2B 3B HR RBI BB KO SB CS BA OBP SLG FPTS

Charlie Blackmon CF | COL 607 121 196 118 33 10 35 93 56 126 15 10 0.323 0.390 0.583 853.10

Mike Trout CF | LAA  509 114 160 82 31 8 39 92 104 130 27 5 0.314 0.435 0.636 842.90

Jose Altuve 2B | HOU 588 108 201 133 36 5 27 89 58 81 30 6 0.342 0.405 0.558 834.30

Paul Goldschmidt 1B | ARI 545 110 166 98 32 3 33 113 99 142 22 5 0.305 0.415 0.556 827.60

Nolan Arenado 3B | COL 587 101 175 92 38 6 39 126 63 104 3 2 0.298 0.366 0.583 818.72

Jose Ramirez 3B | CLE 583 104 194 109 52 7 26 84 49 75 17 4 0.333 0.384 0.580 801.80

Yahoo has him inexplicably ranked outside of the second round, at #26. To me, he's easily an early second round player. He's nearly as good as Lindor, and some might say he's even better. 

Yea probably better than Lindy as an overall hitter already.

Jose left today’s game...laceration on his middle finger 

DTD 

Just now, shakestreet said:

Jose left today’s game...laceration on his middle finger 

DTD 

Doesn't sound serious, could hold him out of Opening Day though.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:33 PM, daethfromabove1979 said:

This guy was the steal of the 2017 year, was ranked so low but you’re gonna have to pay up this year!

Yeah, got him for cheap and paid huge dividends.  Hoping for more of the same in 2018.

Just now, Arrowhead said:

This guy is going to be a beast this year. 

People who drafted him sure the hell hope he is 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

People who drafted him sure the hell hope he is 

Yea especially at his adp price (2nd round). Hopefully his power last year was no fluke which I doubt it was