Sign in to follow this  
Coach George

Coach George's Off Season Top 100

I really, really like your taste in prospects. 

a few things that stood out:

Soroka at #25 - probably the highest I've seen him

Robles ahead of Eloy-- do you just prefer the more well-rounded game?

Luis Robert at #10-- I love this aggressive ranking. To me, Robert is like a video game CAP and deserves to be top-15 in all lists. 

Jesus Sanchez #33-- What do people like about him so much? I get a Granderson vibe, but can be swayed. 

Willie Calhoun #45--  dude rakes everywhere, and doesn't strike out. why so low on him? no clearcut position? lack of speed?

I like to Juan Soto ranked this favorably. What kind of hitter can he become? 3-hole type?

and just a general question about Carter Kieboom. I can't find much footage of him. What are his standout tools? what kind of upside are we looking at?

Soroka- I think he's the best arm in the Braves system.  He is so rock solid and I love the fact that he has a really nice arsenal to go along with elite command.  He's got the perfect frame to hold up and stay healthy.  He doesn't have a huge K ratio in the minors, but I think that's partially because he's so efficient and isn't a bull in a china shop.  I think he's been tremendously underrated all along, but he's convinced me to move him up to #25.  I think he's very legit.

Robert is dripping with tools.  I'm curious to see how he adjusts in the minors.  I'd like to see how his plate discipline goes as he moves through the minors.  I have very little doubt that he has everything in the tools department to dominate.  I really like Robert a lot.

Jesus Sanchez seems like a natural hitter to me. His stance is a little upright and strange, but he's still a really toolsy kid. He's a lot bigger than I originally thought but he still is athletic enough to steal enough bags to matter. I think he could be very useful in roto leagues eventually.  I could see him hitting 25+ HRs and swiping 15 bags once he eventually make it to the majors.

Calhoun has hit everywhere.  There's no doubt about that.  The obvious concern with him is his body type. Some would call him compact, some might use the word chubby. He's not the prototype but it hard to argue with his production.  I think he could prove to be very powerful in a Texas lineup.  I have been slow to believe in Calhoun all along so keep that in mind.  It's possible that I'm not giving him enough credit for his production.

I think Juan Soto is a pure hitter.  I'd like to see him stay healthy...another injury plagued year and he's going to get a label.  In a points league, I think he could be the guy to own because I think he has a super advanced approach with outstanding tools that will only improve with maturation and experience.

Kieboom's plate discipline stands out to me.  I love to see such a young, talented player be able to limit his Ks and still get on base at such an impressive clip.  I think we will see more power emerge as he advances through the minors. I think he's a little stronger than people give him credit for.  He's 6'2 and very athletic at SS. I think he's really an exciting player than could open a lot of eyes this year and fly up lists.

• Like 1

@ChicksDigTheOPS

I'm a Jesus Sanchez owner since last offseason. Biggest takeaway is that he was super impressive as a 19 year old in full season ball. You say Curtis Granderson like it's a bad thing. 2017 Granderson, yeah he's done or very close. If he has Granderson's career I think it's fair to say he should be top 10. 

• Like 2

Great list Coach, as always.

I'd say my buggy hesitations are ranking Anderson Espinoza or Carson Kelly at all in the top 100. AE seems close to done as a starter who can't hold up and there are too many other low minors guys I think are similar. Don't know if I missed Keibert Ruiz, but I much rather have him than Kelly even if I have to wait on him. The way Molina is playing he could be the starter for years and Ruiz will be up before Kelly has a shot, and I think Ruiz is better. 

Overall fantastic list and much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Great list Coach, as always.

I'd say my buggy hesitations are ranking Anderson Espinoza or Carson Kelly at all in the top 100. AE seems close to done as a starter who can't hold up and there are too many other low minors guys I think are similar. Don't know if I missed Keibert Ruiz, but I much rather have him than Kelly even if I have to wait on him. The way Molina is playing he could be the starter for years and Ruiz will be up before Kelly has a shot, and I think Ruiz is better. 

Overall fantastic list and much appreciated.

Maybe I’m still holding on to the Anderson Espinoza dream. I got sucked into his talent a while ago and I’m just having trouble coping with his injuries. I mean, I’ve talked it out in my head but maybe I should seek counseling in this matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great job CG! Think it’s a unanimous decision to keep Kiebert a secret as long as possible ;)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Great job CG! Think it’s a unanimous decision to keep Kiebert a secret as long as possible ;)

I do like him...I think I’ve had him in the back end of my list before. I’m not real big on ranking catchers in general.

Trying to deal with prospect catchers is like herding cats. It’s tough. 

I’ve always liked Carson Kelly...he’s pretty safe, even for a catcher. Obviously, his situation behind Yadi is far from ideal.