Fuzzy_Slippers

Freddie Freeman 2018 Outlook

A truly elite player. Before going down with injury, he was the hottest player on the planet. He lowered his K% and is elite in terms of BB%. Due to his GB/FB of 0.86, you can expect his average to remain high, probably .285+. Freeman is a fantastic guy to draft in the second round and you might even be able to snag him in the third. He will certainly be my target for 3B.

I think Freeman has as good of chance at finishing top 5 overall as any player outside of the 1st round. High floor / high ceiling. If you redrafted pre-injury Freeman would’ve been a top 5 pick. As lon lg as he’s healthy this spring I’ll be targeting him everywhere. 

• Like 5

S T U D

i might still take Votto over him, but give me Freeman all day in the 2nd round.  and i wouldnt be surprised if Freeman finishes ahead of Votto and its not absurd to think that he has a chance to finish above Goldie.

Edited by jfazz23

47 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

What’s his 3B status? He won’t get it in espn correct? 

Is there plans for him to play 3B this year at all?

He played 16 times At 3b. 

58 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

S T U D

i might still take Votto over him, but give me Freeman all day in the 2nd round.  and i wouldnt be surprised if Freeman finishes ahead of Votto and its not absurd to think that he has a chance to finish above Goldie.

Ya I can't drop Votto either for him but FF is elite

6 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

I think Freeman has as good of chance at finishing top 5 overall as any player outside of the 1st round. High floor / high ceiling. If you redrafted pre-injury Freeman would’ve been a top 5 pick. As lon lg as he’s healthy this spring I’ll be targeting him everywhere. 

Agreed, he will be a 2nd round steal.  His counting stats were down last year only due to the 150 or so ABs he missed due to a fluke injury.

• Like 2

It's weird to say it because he is a late 1st-2nd round ADP depending on your league size, but I truly think Freddie is one of the most underrated players in the MLB.  He has the talent to be a top 10 player this year barring injury.

1 hour ago, zstlj said:

He played 16 times At 3b. 

Which makes him eligible this year on the two most popular platforms used.  Yahoo (5 starts or 10 appearances) and ESPN (10 appearances).

• Like 1

Position Eligibility

Position eligibility

Before each season begins ESPN will determine the primary position of every MLB player available in the game. The criteria will primarily be the past year's playing time. Additional positional eligibility will be determined as outlined below in the Batter and Pitcher sections. This includes rookies as well as veterans. The listed primary positions are fixed and will not change for the duration of the season.

NOTE: In custom leagues the League Manager CANNOT change the listed position of any player in the game.

Positional Eligibility for Batters
Additional positional eligibility for Batters occurs when one of the following conditions is met:

• Games played at a position during last season: 20
  • Games played at a position during current season: 10 (The eligibility will take place on the 11th day, even if no game is played that day)
NOTE: For a batter to be considered eligible for Outfield (OF) he must play at least ten games in any outfield position (RF, CF, LF or any combo of the three, totaling 10). For example, at one point in 2009, Gary Sheffield (DH) played four games in Left Field and six games in Right Field. The total was ten, so he would be OF eligible.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Then bummer for ESPN owners.  Glad I play on Yahoo where I got to enjoy Machado at SS all of last year, heh.

Machado was SS eligible all of last year in every league. He had over 20 games in 2016.

20 games is industry standard for year to year carryover, yahoo caters to casuals. They put Scwharber at C with 0 games player the year before. (ended up playing just 7 INNINGS there in 2017) They were the only platform that had Johnny Webb as WR eligible when he was a QB back in the day. They consistently make awful eligibility calls based on weak rules and subjective decisions. 

Giving good players eligibility at positions they barely played cheapens the game.  If they deserve the position, they can earn it by just playing 10 games in season. If they don't play those 10 games, they probably didn't deserve it anyway.  20 is a pretty reasonable cutoff (for retention), unless they didn't play 20 games and then sure, just give it to wherever they played most. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

20 games is industry standard for year to year carryover, yahoo caters to casuals.

"Industry standard."  Ha, ha, funny one.  Baseball (not just Maddon) has long moved into multi-positions for players big time and the old fashioned platforms had better catch up to Yahoo. 

Also thanks for calling all of us that choose to play on Yahoo because they are more up-to-date with current baseball trends and have a much bigger prospect data base than ESPN, their only real rival numbers wise, as "casuals").  Oh wait because ESPN has a big group playing on it's platform is it "casual" only too?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

32 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

"Industry standard."  Ha, ha, funny one.  Baseball (not just Maddon) has long moved into multi-positions for players big time and the old fashioned platforms had better catch up to Yahoo. 

Also thanks for calling all of us that choose to play on Yahoo because they are more up-to-date with current baseball trends and have a much bigger prospect data base than ESPN, their only real rival numbers wise, as "casuals").  Oh wait because ESPN has a big group playing on it's platform is it "casual" only too?

Giving players eligibility at position they play 0 games at= staying up with the trends. Ok.  Yahoo isn't keeping up with the trends, they are lazy to change anything for baseball. Industry standard meaning expert and NFBC leagues use it, the hardcore leagues. 5 games is a joke, has nothing to do with staying up with the times. Rizzo at 2b is a joke too, less egregious than other decisions. It's not yahoo's fault he counts as a 2b appearance, it's just yahoo's fault for making 5 games a qualification. 

I do agree yahoo is slightly better at having prospects than ESPN, even though that was a sharp discussion change. Both ESPN and Yahoo are pretty bad at prospects compared to fantrax and even CBS.  

I didn't say everyone who plays on yahoo is a casual, I said yahoo caters to casuals. Please understand the difference, just like Machado having SS on every site last year flew over your head. 

• Like 1

Back to Freeman. He played 16 games their last year, so he's not going to have 3b eligibility anywhere but yahoo and leagues with custom settings. 16 games is pretty close, it doesn't really bother me if he has it or not. He's not going to play there next year most likely, and if he does, he'll quickly get it.   I rather a player earn it over 10 games than have eligibility at a place he probably doesn't play.   I'd say Austin Riley is most likely their 3b of the future, and he might be up this year.

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Giving players eligibility at position they play 0 games at= staying up with the trends. Ok.  Yahoo isn't keeping up with the trends, they are lazy to change anything for baseball. Industry standard meaning expert and NFBC leagues use it, the hardcore leagues. 5 games is a joke, has nothing to do with staying up with the times. Rizzo at 2b is a joke too, less egregious than other decisions. It's not yahoo's fault he counts as a 2b appearance, it's just yahoo's fault for making 5 games a qualification. 

I do agree yahoo is slightly better at having prospects than ESPN, even though that was a sharp discussion change. Both ESPN and Yahoo are pretty bad at prospects compared to fantrax and even CBS.  

I didn't say everyone who plays on yahoo is a casual, I said yahoo caters to casuals. Please understand the difference, just like Machado having SS on every site last year flew over your head. 

Screw Rizzo at 2b that's terrible. I love CBS no complaints

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I didn't say everyone who plays on yahoo is a casual, I said yahoo caters to casuals.

So does ESPN.  And they both cater to hardcore as well.  They are the two huge sites so they basically cater to every level.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So does ESPN.  And they both cater to hardcore as well.  They are the two huge sites so they basically cater to every level.

I can agree with that. I like the prospects more on yahoo and the eligibility on ESPN, they are both outdated sites IMO. 

I see both sides with Freddie having 3B. On one hand, he played there exclusively for a portion of last year. However I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see a single pitch there this year. 

Luckily hes he's a stud regardless of eligibility. 

• Like 1

Important not to underestimate Freeman's 3B value in leagues he's eligible (he started 16 games at 3B in 2016). This has to bump him up a few slots at least. He's elite no matter what, so this isn't even really an eligibility argument here. Not like you are passing on better players to get a better position.

You can have a cheat code type of team with Freeman at 3B, Rizzo at 2B, and Chris Taylor at SS.

[ Comment removed.  Enough with the "platform X caters to casuals."  Take it to PM, or the platform thread if you absolutely must. ]