Fuzzy_Slippers

Freddie Freeman 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

2 hours ago, svtballa said:

Where are you guys drafting him?  I almost feel like if you want him you need to snag him late first

At the 1st/2nd round turn if I pick there. Anywhere else have to hope he falls in the 2nd and he is a steal then.

pick 20 ish is a good bet.  Even when he was hurt last year he did better than expected.

Anyone the slightest bit worried about the wrist injury? If I’m not mistaken his ISO was slightly down after he came back (naturally).

Are there any power-sapping lingering effects of a wrist injury such as you see with hamate injuries? Is Freddie fully healed and 100%.

Edited by UberRebel

15 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Anyone the slightest bit worried about the wrist injury? If I’m not mistaken his ISO was slightly down after he came back (naturally).

Are there any power-sapping lingering effects of a wrist injury such as you see with hamate injuries? Is Freddie fully healed and 100%.

He's now had wrist injuries twice in his MLB career.  The way he rebounded from the first one combined with his September numbers has me less worried than I would otherwise be.

• Like 1

I'm only giving him a very mild discount because of the injury. I'll give the slight nod to Rizzo because I think they're similar hitters and Rizzo just seems safer (this is ignoring the 2B eligibility).

I don't worry about the injury this year at all and all the talk on Atlanta sports radio is that he's fully healed. Put him in the books for a .300/.400/.550 line with 30+ HR, 100+ RBIs and close to 100 runs. He's basically Votto minus 20 points on his average and 30-40 points on his OBP with all the ability to improve upon his numbers and close that gap. 

To RotoGenius's point, I have Freeman and Rizzo as a coin flip in my rankings going right after Votto at the end of the 1st/beginning of the 2nd round. I might give the slight edge to Rizzo though because I think he has a slightly higher ceiling than Freeman due to the lineup he's in and the possibility of more steals. That being said, I might take Freeman over him depending on who I take in the 1st round. For example if I were to get Bryant at the end of the 1st I might go with Freeman over Rizzo. But you really can't go wrong with either. 

I know that was a little "bench coach-ish" but I feel strongly that Freeman is a very safe bet to give you the numbers you are drafting him for at his current price. 

• Like 1

I think people are forgetting just how good Freddie was before he got hurt. He was performing at a top 5 hitter level before he got pegged on the wrist. I'm taking Freddie over Rizzo 10 times out of 10.

• Like 2

Man, at this point I just get nervous when I see this thread bumped to the top as I assume something bad happened. What else is there to talk about with this guy?

3 hours ago, GrapeJuice said:

Man, at this point I just get nervous when I see this thread bumped to the top as I assume something bad happened. What else is there to talk about with this guy?

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Looking like the Freddie Freeman from last year's first half. Dude was on pace for an absolutely monstrous year. Like, the #1 overall player. Let's hope he can avoid another freak injury.

Easy 1st round talent if you count unfortunate white guy dance moves. The wedding you might could pass off as a few too many beverages, but outside of Boston that's not an excuse in the dugout. 

27 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Easy 1st round talent if you count unfortunate white guy dance moves. The wedding you might could pass off as a few too many beverages, but outside of Boston that's not an excuse in the dugout. 

What the f--- did I just read?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gif incoming...

He’s going to flirt with a .500 obp unless the Braves get someone behind him 

This guy is ridiculous, he just destroyed that ball.  AJ Cole put the ball close to the plate and it was over with.

He, Harper, Votto & Blackmon in the NL MVP race this season. Might also throw in Hoskins and Bryant in there.

Edited by WARrate

Man among boys. So glad I got him at a discount this year because of the wrist injury worries. He won't be drafted outside the 1st round for a longggg time.

• Like 2

if any of you guys used to frequent the Fantasy Baseball Cafe, I pegged this guy at 20 as a future MVP and was laughed off the board

they said hes at best a poor man's Mark Grace lol

I have had Freddie on my team since then and there was just something about that very 1st AB that I saw him.  If you ever pitched, at a high level, and you just saw a batter and you just knew he was going to beat you know matter what you did, I saw that in Freddie right away.  Hes a dude that just always looks like he has no fear at the plate

• Like 1

He’s a 1st rounder next year if healthy this season.

For OBP/OPS/BB leagues, he’s a no doubt top 5 player right now.