Fuzzy_Slippers

Freddie Freeman 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

So seems like x-rays were "inconclusive" and they need to MRI and CT.  I wonder if the x-rays were full blown negative or if they saw something tiny but aren't sure if it's a fracture.

The announcers mentioned that he was in a lot of pain when he was hit last year while the medical staff worked on him. He didn’t have any expression at all this time. 

Hoping it's just a bad bruise and was in shock after getting hit in the same spot. It just looked really bad the way he walked off keeping that left wrist stiff while he flipped the bat with the right. 

9 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Hoping it's just a bad bruise and was in shock after getting hit in the same spot. It just looked really bad the way he walked off keeping that left wrist stiff while he flipped the bat with the right. 

Well he obviously wasn't going to use the wrist at that point.  I wouldn't look into that much in wondering whether it's just a bad bruise or a fracture.

Edited by The Waker

14 minutes ago, NIN said:

The announcers mentioned that he was in a lot of pain when he was hit last year while the medical staff worked on him. He didn’t have any expression at all this time. 

Was watching MLB Network when it happened & they showed a side-by-side of the HBP last year & the one last night....very eerie how nearly identical they are, from the pitcher's throwing style (almost sidearm LHP) to FF moving into it to where it struck him...all of it was exact same.

As for his reaction & look of being in pain, those were nearly the same as well. Both times he just looked annoyed at first, though last night he went straight for the clubhouse & last year he stayed on the field with the trainer looking at it which is where the show of pain was evident. This means nothing, just an observation. Maybe he recognized it for the same feeling as last year & bee lined it for the x-ray, maybe not.

I don't have Freddie anywhere but always been a fan & this sucks for baseball. I hope it's just a bruise myself - you just never know. 

22 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

Was watching MLB Network when it happened & they showed a side-by-side of the HBP last year & the one last night....very eerie how nearly identical they are, from the pitcher's throwing style (almost sidearm LHP) to FF moving into it to where it struck him...all of it was exact same.

As for his reaction & look of being in pain, those were nearly the same as well. Both times he just looked annoyed at first, though last night he went straight for the clubhouse & last year he stayed on the field with the trainer looking at it which is where the show of pain was evident. This means nothing, just an observation. Maybe he recognized it for the same feeling as last year & bee lined it for the x-ray, maybe not.

I don't have Freddie anywhere but always been a fan & this sucks for baseball. I hope it's just a bruise myself - you just never know. 

Yeah so there was a huge difference in that there was no look of terrible pain this year and there was last year.  Even when he was toward the dug out (within the time he was in pain last year) he just seemed annoyed rather than in pain.  

54 minutes ago, The Waker said:

So seems like x-rays were "inconclusive" and they need to MRI and CT.  I wonder if the x-rays were full blown negative or if they saw something tiny but aren't sure if it's a fracture.

X-Rays were inconclusive last year as well. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

X-Rays were inconclusive last year as well. 

yikes

6 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Yeah so there was a huge difference in that there was no look of terrible pain this year and there was last year.  Even when he was toward the dug out (within the time he was in pain last year) he just seemed annoyed rather than in pain.  

Right...I didn't see the HBP last year and MLBN replay was edited up for time but they showed him being met halfway to dugout by trainer & others, looking at wrist, turning it over & whatnot - seemed like they spent quite some time out there & that's when the expression of pain was evident. But IDK, it could have been a 10 second examination for all I know. There was no time for any of that this time as he basically just got hit, turned, dropped bat, took off helmet, and quick-walked to dugout & straight into clubhouse. He was not sticking around for anything last night.

Plus, once you've felt a certain kind of pain once & know what to expect, you can bear it much easier than the first time. I've broken many fingers/toes & sprained my ankle badly more than a few times & when you know what you've done or what the injury is, you don't express the pain as outwardly as you do the first time it happens. Not that that says anything about Freeman in this situation, just my personal experience. 

1 minute ago, wayzupusc said:

Right...I didn't see the HBP last year and MLBN replay was edited up for time but they showed him being met halfway to dugout by trainer & others, looking at wrist, turning it over & whatnot - seemed like they spent quite some time out there & that's when the expression of pain was evident. But IDK, it could have been a 10 second examination for all I know. There was no time for any of that this time as he basically just got hit, turned, dropped bat, took off helmet, and quick-walked to dugout & straight into clubhouse. He was not sticking around for anything last night.

Plus, once you've felt a certain kind of pain once & know what to expect, you can bear it much easier than the first time. I've broken many fingers/toes & sprained my ankle badly more than a few times & when you know what you've done or what the injury is, you don't express the pain as outwardly as you do the first time it happens. Not that that says anything about Freeman in this situation, just my personal experience. 

Lol okay man.  Last year he literally screamed in pain right after he got hit (something he wouldn't be able to stop himself from doing) and then was bending over soon after.   They really aren't comparable but you aren't an owner so not surprising you're being this way.

6 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Lol okay man.  Last year he literally screamed in pain right after he got hit (something he wouldn't be able to stop himself from doing) and then was bending over soon after.   They really aren't comparable but you aren't an owner so not surprising you're being this way.

I'm not being any way, bro why you so triggered? I am going off a replay MLB Tonight showed multiple times last night comparing the two. He did not scream in pain last year. He did not bend over soon after. It was literally the same turn & walk away annoyed as it was last night.

Watch:

Stop being so defensive, just because I don't have him doesn't mean I want to see him hurt. Geeez, he's a great player, I'm a fan of ATL and Freddie both & think this sucks. I'm just trying to put info out there for those who maybe didn't see it or have a chance to look into it.

Edited by wayzupusc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rrrrich46 said:

Jim Bowden about 10 mins ago on Twitter: 

Jim Bowden
Freddie Freeman is having more tests this morning but #Braves think he’ll be ok….will know more this morning after cat-scan

And another

Dave O’Brien 

#Braves are optimistic about Freddie Freeman’s wrist injury but won’t know for sure that it’s not fractured until follow-up tests are completed this morning.

23 min ago

Early reports were not positive last year so this is encouraging. P

Anyone who’s ever been hit anywhere by a baseball, let alone on the hand by a MLB fastball, knows he was in excruciating pain whether he “expressed” it or not. 

That said, I hope he’s ok, which I would even if he weren’t on my fantasy team. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Freeman needs to be OK for the sake of the sport.

You can not have the best young talent constantly missing time due to injury.

Someone tell the NFL that. 

The longer the wait, the more likely it's bad news I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, The Waker said:

It seems as though you are doing the same thing but for the counter-point....

As someone who has reinjured something multiple times before, after it happens the second time you just know exactly what to do. Freddie got hit on that spot and knew he'd have to come out because of what happened last season. I personally get irritated when the injury pops up again, which I'm sure is exactly how Freddie was feeling. Gamers don't like to sit out for extended periods of time. The positive thing is that the news so far isn't immediately bad. I'll be biting my nails for the next few hours hoping we all dodged a bullet. 

Edited by lbjames6
  • Like 1

Here's the video from last night for those that didn't catch it. I tried to get the MLB.com video but I couldn't extract the link.

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Maybe this will cheer everyone up:

Image result for freddie freeman dancing gif

Like showing a starving man a picture of Thanksgiving dinner.

• Like 2

Good afternoon,

I know this is a potentially big injury and people are dying to overanalyze the situation in the absence of a conclusive answer, but lets collectively take a breath and avoid ruining this thread by making stuff up, impugning the motives of your fellow posters, or bickering over dumb stuff. We'll know the answer one way or the other over the next three hours, then there will be plenty of time to discuss impacts if its more serious than initially speculated.

• Like 3