• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Jyeatbvg

Trevor Story 2018 Outlook

MLB Network's Top 10 Series ranked Story the 9th best shortstop in the game. I find it hilarious how this guy is still getting love for his one month explosion in April 2016. He's a massive bust and I will not ever have him on my team. I will also probably not post in this thread again. I will eat crow if he finishes in the top 100 this year in fantasy. All y'all drafting him, enjoy your mendoza line K-machine.

Edit: That top 10 was over guys like Bogaerts, Didi and Crawford. What a joke!

Has a 5.8 career war through two seasons. That’s incredibly far away from a bust.

He was a Fantasy bust last year but you still got 24 home runs from ss with 150 rbi/ runs and 8 steals.

probabky never going to be an average asset, but depending on league format he has value and I think a pretty decent real life player. Those guys you mentioned aren’t anything special either. 

• Like 4

He had an awful first half but was great in the second half. I think his 2016 hype was never warranted but now I think he is underrated. He's on a very good offense and of course playing at coors field so I'm pretty confident in 30+ homers with nice RBI and run stats. Of course his weak point is he will likely bat in the 250-260 range.

• Like 2

He struggled badly in the first half of last year, no doubt. I think the "he was too hyped because of his early 2016 production" guys are forgetting he was very productive in the second half of 2016, as well, and wasn't bad in the second half of last year. I'd agree that he's inconsistent and risky but I think the ceiling for him is still through the roof. It wasn't just the fantasy community that loved him for a good amount of 2016, remember; he had 186 AB's in the 2nd spot of that Rockies lineup.

2 hours ago, Hanghow said:

...   I think the ceiling for him is still through the roof  ...

Wow I am so going to steal this phrase for future use.  Thnaks.

Looking forward to chimp avatar guy eating crow at the end of this season.  To even imgine someone like Brandon Crawford being better than Story is totally whacky.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hanghow said:

He struggled badly in the first half of last year, no doubt. I think the "he was too hyped because of his early 2016 production" guys are forgetting he was very productive in the second half of 2016, as well, and wasn't bad in the second half of last year. I'd agree that he's inconsistent and risky but I think the ceiling for him is still through the roof. It wasn't just the fantasy community that loved him for a good amount of 2016, remember; he had 186 AB's in the 2nd spot of that Rockies lineup.

Using post ASB for 2016 he was hardly productive with 53 AB

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Using post ASB for 2016 he was hardly productive with 53 AB

He had an .893 OPS in June; .992 in July; and 1.115 post-All Star. I suppose you're right that it wasn't the second half of the MLB season since he got hurt but he was phenomenal overall in 2016.

Edited by Hanghow
  • Haha 1

I suppose 2018 should tell us who the real T. Story is. He has appeal to managers in search of a SS with high OPS potential. It will be interesting in Colorado since Brendan Rodgers is waiting in minors for his chance too. 

In roto, I like the idea of teaming Story up with a BA/Speed 2B I.e. Gordon. 

In H2H however, he's just too volatile to set and forget and could sink you some weeks (I.e. Rockies road trips)

• Like 1

Do you guys think Story is on a short leash with Rodgers waiting in the wings?

I know defense does nothing for fantasy owners but it was much improved in 2017 so that could help keep him in the lineup if he struggles a bit. 

Edited by Under500Forever

On 1/15/2018 at 11:01 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wow I am so going to steal this phrase for future use.  Thnaks.

Looking forward to chimp avatar guy eating crow at the end of this season.  To even imgine someone like Brandon Crawford being better than Story is totally whacky.

The ceiling is through the roof is a weird Michael Jordan quote!

Edit: Ok MJ said the ceiling IS the roof, which is actually weirder.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

I know defense does nothing for fantasy owners but it was much improved in 2017 so that could help keep him in the lineup if he struggles a bit. 

Nah, I think Rodgers is supposed to play 2B. 

Story looking so good he gets 2 threads, eh? I don't even think Mike Trout's thread has 2 pages yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The ceiling is through the roof is a weird Michael Jordan quote!

Edit: Ok MJ said the ceiling IS the roof, which is actually weirder.

I like to think of myself as a modern-day Yogi Berra but without the ability to play baseball.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Story looking so good he gets 2 threads, eh? I don't even think Mike Trout's thread has 2 pages yet.

Because there is nothing to say about Mike Trout. Take him #1 or spend 1/5 of your auction money and reap the benefits. 

Edited by Ry34No
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

I doubt it’s an issue this year. Rodgers may come up in late September.

i bet they move Rodgers to second actually fit the long run.

5 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Ryan McMahon is going to be tried at second. Natural 3rd baseman that is rather blocked. Also would depend on what they do with Desmond (move to OF) or Reynolds( if he is resigned?) could open 1st but Rockies are really high on McMahon. 

34 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Ryan McMahon is going to be tried at second. Natural 3rd baseman that is rather blocked. Also would depend on what they do with Desmond (move to OF) or Reynolds( if he is resigned?) could open 1st but Rockies are really high on McMahon. 

My take.  I think McMahon will end up at 1B.  Desmond is already in the OF and if they finally move CarGo before Opening Day in the outfield he will likely remain period.  And LeMahieu will still be the 2B this season which is his walk year.  Rodgers won't be up until September probably and will most likely take over 2B next year with LeMahieu gone.

I don't see Mark Reynolds coming back unless it is on a minor league contract for depth and he said he doesn't want that.

All of this is to say that Story would have to crap his pants big time to lose SS.

• Like 1

Fangraphs is projecting him to have his best strikeout and walk rates of his ML career. Interesting to see a conservative projection system buy in on those fronts.

Last year he was too expensive.  This this year hes really good value.  I think he has Dozier like upside as long as he stays healthy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Weird

14 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

I do search before I make threads to avoid hiccups like I did the other night. I searched Trevor story and only his 2017 Outlook thread popped up. I had to do something wrong but I didn’t blindly make one. Doesn’t matter at this point but I felt like a Rook. 

4 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

I do search before I make threads to avoid hiccups like I did the other night. I searched Trevor story and only his 2017 Outlook thread popped up. I had to do something wrong but I didn’t blindly make one. Doesn’t matter at this point but I felt like a Rook. 

Ah I was just kidding around!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Ah I was just kidding around!

I know man, it was just weird cause I did search. 

It happens to the best of us.

Go Story!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

My take.  I think McMahon will end up at 1B.  Desmond is already in the OF and if they finally move CarGo before Opening Day in the outfield he will likely remain period.  And LeMahieu will still be the 2B this season which is his walk year.  Rodgers won't be up until September probably and will most likely take over 2B next year with LeMahieu gone.

I don't see Mark Reynolds coming back unless it is on a minor league contract for depth and he said he doesn't want that.

All of this is to say that Story would have to crap his pants big time to lose SS.

CarGo is a FA, at least that's what I thought, unless something has changed. I agree that McMahon ends up at first and they are probably moving on from Reynolds. The Rockies have a lot of athletic and versatile players now. I don't think he can have a start to the season like he did in 2017, they do have the option of calling up Rodgers this season. Some may say he's not ready but I think he will be my May 1st.. 

In my format would be uncomfortable waiting to draft my SS where he'll likely go without drafting a back up.

Less risk this year but doubt I will be drafting him again this year.