Jyeatbvg

Trevor Story 2018 Outlook

His OPS has risen each month this year.

His OPS in the second half last year rose from the first half last year; it also rose from second half last year to first half this year.

If this isn't a trend, I don't know what is. Don't get me wrong, he'll plateau somewhere, I'm sure, but I don't see a collapse coming.

Oppo Boppo tonight for his 18th homerun of the year. I am falling in love with Story more and more everyday. 

I was really concerned about Brenden Rodgers coming into the season but Story has been a stud during the first half. 

Over his last 30 games he is batting .377!!

batting .414 over his last 15 games 

.464 over his last 7 games

I know it’s not picking but I’d love to see him take some more walks. 

3 hours ago, UberRebel said:

For a human windmill this guy is pretty good

K rate down 9%.  Continues to fall.  His K rate reduction doesn’t get enough appreciation he’s completely transformed.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

K rate down 9%.  Continues to fall.  His K rate reduction doesn’t get enough appreciation he’s completely transformed.

Well said. 

Over his last 30 games his K rate is right around 20%. That’s amazing considering where he was last year and at the beginning of the season. 

Not even close to his prime yet either 

6 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

I was really concerned about Brenden Rodgers coming into the season but Story has been a stud during the first half. 

Again, Rodgers isn't going to play SS.  Story is a far better defensive player than Rodgers.  Rodgers was suppose to be shifted to 2B but another guy in the minors is doing better while Rodgers has stalled out having trouble at AAA.

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Again, Rodgers isn't going to play SS.  Story is a far better defensive player than Rodgers.  Rodgers was suppose to be shifted to 2B but another guy in the minors is doing better while Rodgers has stalled out having trouble at AAA.

I get that now but I'm saying that during the offseason last year it was a concern because we didn't know which Story we were going to get in 2018. 

Rodgers still started 76 games at SS compared to 10 at 2nd baseman in 2017. 

If Story really struggled who knows what they would have done this year. With DJ at 2nd they may have given rodgers a shot there. 

Don't forget, Story was being benched last year for Pat Valika (sp?)

Nothing to worry about now.

I just hope Arenado stays

Is it just me or do a lot of people still don't buy story's current production?

9 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Is it just me or do a lot of people still don't buy story's current production?

When people have their mind made up on a subject they often won’t change it.  He could go 35-25 this year with a .280 average and a 10% K rate drop from last and people will still say he’s a fluke.  Young players who burst on scene like he did often leave people jealous when they miss out due to the hype and excitement.  And then they look for reasons to hate or doubt a guy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

When people have their mind made up on a subject they often won’t change it.  He could go 35-25 this year with a .280 average and a 10% K rate drop from last and people will still say he’s a fluke.  Young players who burst on scene like he did often leave people jealous when they miss out due to the hype and excitement.  And then they look for reasons to hate or doubt a guy. 

I was just curious because whenever I include him in trade offers, almost everybody dismisses all the improvements he has made.

18 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

CSB but This was me in 2016 when I missed out on Story during free agent signings for our dynasty league. He wasn't a big time prospect and our MiLB draft is only 2 rounds each year so Story wasn't taken. Then during spring training he started getting noticed. 

Someone outbid me by a little bit. When he went bonkers hitting tons of homers I would come into the Story 2016 outlook thread and bash him because I was pissed I didn't have him. Last year when he struggled I made a trade for Arenado and Story was basically a throw in. It all worked out in the end I guess. I know I know, CSB. I just found it interesting that you basically described me to a T when I missed out on Story in 2016 and some other guys I'm jealous I missed out on. 

Back to the real topic, I'm buying this outburst from Story. he has made some major  improvements. Not striking out as much, seems to be staying back and hitting some breaking balls too.  It's not like he has been hot for a week. He's been hitting between .350-.400 over his last 7,15 , 30 games. Im not sure what he's doing differently but he started making adjustments at the end of last year when he started talking to Arenado and Blackmon and taking bits and pieces from them. He struggled early on but he's been consistently good for weeks now. His batting average has gone up 50-60+ points since the beginning of the season. This isn't just a hot streak. 

Im not saying he will be a .300 hitter but last year I remember Hoping he would hit .250-.260 and now he seems like he can hit .280.

Enjoy the ride fellas. It's going to take some work but he could go 35/25 this year with 110 RBI. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

He's a really solid player. I don't know if he is a .900 OPS guy going forward, but I could see him consistently putting up numbers between his .765 OPS last year and his .900 OPS this year. Something like an .850ish OPS with the counting stats that he produces. That is a very valuable fantasy contributor.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Is he the most improved player so far this year?

The funny thing is he's still trailing slightly in power numbers compared to his monster rookie season that got cut short in August

On 7/13/2018 at 12:20 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Fwiw Rodgers hasnt ever played a game at AAA.

At AA he's slashing .270/.333/.508 with 17 HR and a 129 wRC+.

He's obviously no threat to Story but I wouldn't call that stalling out

• Thanks 1

This guy is on the verge of rolling into the AS break as a .300 hitter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UberRebel said:

This guy is on the verge of rolling into the AS break as a .300 hitter

Crazy isn’t it? It’s so repetitive from me at this point but Story just keeps on hitting. I’m shocked TBH because Who saw this happening. 

I kinda wish the ASB wasn’t happening right now because he is rolling. 

Damn that stuff that was seen projected a down July.  I guess the only downside of July is that .500 average is likely slightly out of the question.  

Everything he hits is hard. He’s in a groove right now. Hopefully the ASB won’t take him out of his groove. 

• Like 1

Thank god he isn’t in the homerun derby.

• Like 3

Up to #20 on ESPN Player Rater. Back to that second round value. 

• Like 3

Looking back through the archives of Rockies history:

When was the last time an everyday player hit below .230? (min 500 PA's).

I have gone through the years looking back at the Rockies' history and I believe Story's .239 avg last was one of the lowest ever (min 500 PA's).  There were so many non-talents that managed to hit .250+ or .260+.  

The batting average will be .260 or higher for years to come, regardless of the strikeouts.