Travis Burten

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

Lefty with mid-90s heat, 2 good offerings, and good control. This guy will BOOM this year big time, get in on the hype early. Looks like a bonafide top 10 pitching prospect in the minors by end of 2018. 

• Like 2

Made MLB.com’s list of top-10 LHP in the game. He wasn’t on a lot of radars as he was hurt out of the draft and had TJS, but a lot of scouts pre-draft really, really liked him. 

Definitely a guy that could explode this year. 

Impressive showing today vs the Angels starting lineup. 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, including a strikeout of Trout(only Trout's 2nd strikeout of spring) his 2nd time through the order. 2 of the hits allowed were bloop singles into shallow LCF. Induced quite a few groundballs from RH batters over the course of his outing. Pujols and Trout in the 1st, Cozart in the 2nd, and Kinsler in the 3rd.

For spring he's now tossed 6 scoreless innings with a 6/1 K/BB. Showed plus fb and change today with a few good curves(some iffy ones too). Really good overall package here from a prospect standpoint. Lefty with premium velocity, 2 plus secondary offerings when everything's working and who induces high GB rates.

I already consider him a top 50 prospect.  If you’re a buyer, I’d do it now before his value sky rockets on prospect lists across the board.

Any comp on Jesus Lizard?  Sounds like he's got quite a high floor and even higher ceiling.

3 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Any comp on Jesus Lizard?  Sounds like he's got quite a high floor and even higher ceiling.

There is no such thing as a 20 year old minor league pitcher coming out of low A with a high floor.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K 69 pitches - 46 strikes; 5 GO - 1 FO

Was one strike away from finishing the 5th inning but gave up a double and then a bloop RBI base hit.  FB was touching 97 MPH

Edited by Blood Brother

Spins another gem in his 2nd outing

5 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 10 K; 85 pitches - 51 strikes. 3 groundouts / 1 flyout

All aboard the hype train

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Be nice if the A's see enough to get him outta that league in a month or so...right to AA and the fast track!

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 1

god he looks awesome.  would I be nuts to offer Ryan McMahon for him straight up?

I know that's a bit bench coach.... but I figure it's an interesting discussion about his perceived value

On 3/23/2018 at 10:16 PM, Travis Burten said:

This year's Walker Buehler

Any chance he gets a cup of coffee this year like Walker B got last year? 

I think its unlikely but if he pitches well at AA the A's could possibly give him a taste when rosters expand. 

He has a long was to go but just wondering if you guys think there is a chance. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Any chance he gets a cup of coffee this year like Walker B got last year? 

I think its unlikely but if he pitches well at AA the A's could possibly give him a taste when rosters expand. 

He has a long was to go but just wondering if you guys think there is a chance. 

I doubt it.  A cost-conscious team like the A's is unlikely to want to start his service time, unless absolutely necessary.  I see Luzardo continuing in the CAL and if he dominates like he has so far, then I could envision a bump up to AA by mid-May or June.  Obviously anything is possible so there is a chance if he continues to dominate, but personally, I just don't see them rushing him.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 2

Trying to remember the last time As cared about control they are such wheeler dealers honestly trying to remember last home grown product they have kept and resigned.. I am sure there is one or several. .... gosh trying to remember the last offensive beast they even had and kept..... almost everyone gets traded away at some point....the money ball just don't care....

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hard1 said:

Trying to remember the last time As cared about control they are such wheeler dealers honestly trying to remember last home grown product they have kept and resigned.. I am sure there is one or several. .... gosh trying to remember the last offensive beast they even had and kept..... almost everyone gets traded away at some point....the money ball just don't care....

This is so true. The A's should never worry about service time.

Edited by osb_tensor

8 hours ago, hard1 said:

It's a good point H-1.  I still don't think he makes it up to the majors this year, but it is an important point to consider, so perhaps a September call-up isn't completely out of the equation.

5 no-hit innings tonight with 9 K and 1 BB.

High-A is utterly helpless against the power of the Jesus Lizard. I don't know how quickly the A's will promote him, but I don't think he has anything to learn at this level.

The kid has been nothing short of dominant.  The change-up looks to have taken a step forward.  He's commanded it well of late, and isn't afraid to go to it at anytime in the count, keeping hitters off balance.  

They want him to refine the mental aspect of the game & approach at High-A, such as in-game adjustments and pitch sequencing, prior to moving him to the upper levels but a few more outings like this and it will be hard to argue against a promotion.

Going to be one of the biggest risers in midseason rankings. Real shot to simply flipflop with AJ Puk (TJ).