Travis Burten

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎14 at 2:38 PM, BigPapi44 said:

I doubt it.  A cost-conscious team like the A's is unlikely to want to start his service time, unless absolutely necessary.  I see Luzardo continuing in the CAL and if he dominates like he has so far, then I could envision a bump up to AA by mid-May or June.  Obviously anything is possible so there is a chance if he continues to dominate, but personally, I just don't see them rushing him.

Well, forget about mid-May call-up.  As @hard1 mentioned, I am not sure the A's will be overly concerned with service time.  IF he does continue to pitch lights out, perhaps they accelerate his call-up.  

On 4/12/2018 at 4:49 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Be nice if the A's see enough to get him outta that league in a month or so...right to AA and the fast track!

No victory lap or anything, but was pretty easy to see his stuff was great and not a ton of benefit to stay in the offense heavy, hitters parks of the Cal league. Just has a Urias-like feel to his game where he could pitch in big leagues at an extraordinarily young age...

whats the ceiling here? I scoured the internets and didn't really see anything. SP2?

15 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

whats the ceiling here? I scoured the internets and didn't really see anything. SP2?

Reasonable to look at SP2 upside.  If all comes together, could be more.  Courtesy of FakeTeams:

Jesus Luzardo, SP (OAK) - A Tommy John success story, Luzardo has a deadly fastball with natural sink that help him average more than a strikeout an inning. He also features a 60 grade changeup that he can mix with his fastball to catch batters off balance. Luzardo not only can be a good source for strikeouts, but his low walk rate could make him an asset in WHIP once he is added to the major league rotation. Expect him to fly up rankings if he stays healthy. ETA: 2019

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hgh22 said:

#1 upside really

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hgh22 said:

Well, he's a big time pitching prospect who is healthy and possess good control.  That automatically means upside is #1 if not legitimate ace.  That fact that many if not most of these people fail to reach even a fraction of that potential shouldn't stop us from seeing it.  The floor for Luzardo is, of course, fringe MLB-worthy (after all there are more Matt Moore's scattered about the world than aces).

Good luck achieving that ceiling Jesus!

I've always considered the A's to be one of the more aggressive teams at promoting players - if he is nails at AA for a few months and they are in the thick of the 2nd wild card hunt...maybe?

also thanks to all of the above for their comments. 

Keep in mind he only threw 75 innings last season after Tommy John surgery. 125 innings might be his max this season. Definitely looks like a great prospect but doubtful he'll help your fantasy team this season. 

• Like 1

I've already heard a few prospect guys already start throwing out Luzardo vs Sixto Sanchez debates. Maybe it may not reflected on most lists right now, but he is easily a top 50 prospect.

16 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I've already heard a few prospect guys already start throwing out Luzardo vs Sixto Sanchez debates. Maybe it may not reflected on most lists right now, but he is easily a top 50 prospect.

James Anderson from Rotowire has Luzardo at 23 already. Blew past Sixto. Like top 5 SP prospect for him.

As far as his 2018 prospects go, I definitely think their intent is to build him up to make a difference next year. Losing Puk set them back a lot not just for 2018, so I think if Luzardo was ready in early to mid 2019, the A's would be thrilled

1 hour ago, oswald737 said:

James Anderson from Rotowire has Luzardo at 23 already. Blew past Sixto. Like top 5 SP prospect for him.

As far as his 2018 prospects go, I definitely think their intent is to build him up to make a difference next year. Losing Puk set them back a lot not just for 2018, so I think if Luzardo was ready in early to mid 2019, the A's would be thrilled

Yeah, he seems to be the high guy on him. I like his take, although I think I still prefer Sixto just because of the ++ offerings vs 3 plus + offerings. Sixto is the ceiling play and Luzardo more of the safer floor IMO.

12 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Yeah, he seems to be the high guy on him. I like his take, although I think I still prefer Sixto just because of the ++ offerings vs 3 plus + offerings. Sixto is the ceiling play and Luzardo more of the safer floor IMO.

Eh, I suppose. As a Phillies fan, I love Sixto, but its probably a coin flip here. I actually think Luzardo has made his stuff translate a little better so far. Sixto is a little more projection. Regard;ess, they are both elite pitching prospects and top 30 guys by the end of the year.

• Like 1

Nice debut in Double-A tonight

5 IP, 3 H(2 doubles), 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K; 78 pitches - 45 strikes. 5 groundouts, 2 flyouts

8 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

Nice debut in Double-A tonight

5 IP, 3 H(2 doubles), 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K; 78 pitches - 45 strikes. 5 groundouts, 2 flyouts

Yes, I believe I read on the twitter that the 2 doubles were consecutive to lead off game...really settled in after

On 4/23/2018 at 6:23 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

I think Luzardo is now a top 25 prospect.  I feel pretty confident and comfortable saying that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Coach George said:

I think Luzardo is now a top 25 prospect.  I feel pretty confident and comfortable saying that.

I mean I'm not going to fight anyone on that I'm not sure if I'm willing to go quite that far personally. But it's prospects everyone likes different guys for different reasons.

I think he's got a lot of hype behind him because he is the new shiny toy that just burst onto the scene, he's very advanced and may not be challenged until now or AAA like a Bieber. He's had one start at AA and if he continues to steam roll I'll be more inclined to get behind that.

34 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I mean I'm not going to fight anyone on that I'm not sure if I'm willing to go quite that far personally. But it's prospects everyone likes different guys for different reasons.

I think he's got a lot of hype behind him because he is the new shiny toy that just burst onto the scene, he's very advanced and may not be challenged until now or AAA like a Bieber. He's had one start at AA and if he continues to steam roll I'll be more inclined to get behind that.

He's a lefty with a big fastball, a nice mix of pitches, control and athleticism.  I think his ceiling is a lot higher than most guys in the minors, but there are certainly valid concerns given that he's only had one start in AA.  This year will be huge for him, but I'll always be more inclined to give the guys with big upside a bump in the rankings.

He's a young arm...there are always concerns.  It's so hard for young SPs to be successful in the majors and dodge injuries along the way.

• Like 1

Luzardo struck out Trout in spring training.

I picked him up right after that and ill hold him just because of that.

Trout had like 2 strikeouts all spring and Luzardo was 1 of them.

• Like 5

Jesus Lizard done for the day.  5 IP, 3 hits, 1ER, 7Ks, 1BB (Gave up an RBI double to Odor on his rehab assignment).

Well if odor got a hit this guy might be trash cause odor can't hit water falling out of a boat...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Well if odor got a hit this guy might be trash cause odor can't hit water falling out of a boat...

Likely can be chalked up to the old adage, 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut'. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Likely can be chalked up to the old adage, 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut'. 

Very true

Starting to settle in AA.  Tonight's line, 5IP, 0ER, 0BB, 8Ks.  Outdueled Jonathan Hernandez (Texas) making his AA debut tonight, and got lit up.  Also of note, he was able to retire Elvis Andrus both plate appearances (EA on rehab assignment).

• Like 1