Travis Burten

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

13 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Simply nasty. Biggest riser this year?

Paddack. Unranked > now pushing top 50 on fangraphs recent updated list. 

Jesus Lizard has not had an update in awhile.  Dominated again tonight, 5IP, 1hit, 0ER, 0BB, 4Ks

On the season now in AA, 12 starts, 57.2IP, 46hits, 14BB, 64Ks, 4Hrs, 2.81ERA, 1.04WHIP.  

Not too shabby for a 20 year old (doesn't turn 21 until end of September).  Wowsas!

• Like 1

Six scoreless innings tonight with 10 K, 3 H,  1 BB.

He now hasn't allowed a run in his last 28 innings. That's... pretty good.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Six scoreless innings tonight with 10 K, 3 H,  1 BB.

Beat me to it.  Add to that he's still only 20 years old.

Posted (edited)

It’s July,  he’s in AA and afaik he is pitching really well. I know it’s be discussed but where he stands now, any chance we will see this year?

Edited by Under500Forever

57 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

It’s July,  he’s in AA and afaik he is pitching really well. I know it’s be discussed but where he stands now, any chance we will see this year?

Next to no chance.  He's on an innings cap given he's coming off pitching 43 innings in 2017 after having Tommy John in March 2016. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 11:04 AM, moeron22 said:

Paddack. Unranked > now pushing top 50 on fangraphs recent updated list. 

I don’t know. Paddack was already a known commodity before TJS.  Luzardo wasn’t.  And while Paddack is lushing top 50, Luzardo is already inside many analysts top 50s and then some.  Luzardo seems like a much bigger riser due to him coming out of nowhere after TJS.

1 hour ago, apap414 said:

I don’t know. Paddack was already a known commodity before TJS.  Luzardo wasn’t.  And while Paddack is lushing top 50, Luzardo is already inside many analysts top 50s and then some.  Luzardo seems like a much bigger riser due to him coming out of nowhere after TJS.

He said this year, so I'm just going off of whatever rankings lists I could find, most being top 100. Not sure Paddack has ever been ranked inside the top 50 on a prospect list, even before TJS. Luzardo was at least top 75 on most lists going into 2018, Paddack was unranked on all of them. That's what I based my reply on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, apap414 said:

Luzardo was actually projected to be a first-rounder by scouts until the injury, so he was a known commodity - just maybe not to the general fantasy community since he didn't make a pro pitch before TJS like Paddack did.

Not quite an apples to apples comparisons.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, txrngr34 said:

Luzardo was actually projected to be a first-rounder by scouts until the injury, so he was a known commodity - just maybe not to the general fantasy community since he didn't make a pro pitch before TJS like Paddack did.

Not quite an apples to apples comparisons.

I meant in terms of fantasy 

2 hours ago, floppy said:

so i assume late 2019?

Well, I think a lot will determine how they handle him the rest of the year.  I agree with the above, he's likely on an innings limit this year.  If he dominates again early part of next season, presuming he starts the year in AAA, I can't see the A's keeping him in the minors too long if they deem him ready.

4 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

I can't see the A's keeping him in the minors too long if they deem him ready.

Agreed. Having already had TJ, they don't need to put extra minor league miles on that arm beyond what he needs to develop. And he's progressing real fast.

Mid-to-late 2019 is most likely, but I don't think it's out of the question that he could get a shot to win a rotation spot out of camp next spring.

I think we're talking May 2019 as the first reasonable shot at promotion. Puk dominated in the spring and was being discussed as an opening day possibility, but more likely, they would have sent him down for some "fine tuning" and an extra year of team control. If Luzardo keeps dominating, I see a similar path for him.

• Like 3

I'd guess late-June to early-July, assuming he's still on a tear. The A's are highly cost-conscious, so I think they'd wait until the super-two cutoff has clearly passed. They're not going to want to pay for 4 years of arbitration if he's ready in middle of another ho-hum, typical-A's season.

Now, if they somehow manage to be the hottest team in baseball and Beane's feeling like they're just a starter away from solidifying a shot at the postseason, I wouldn't put it past them to bring him up in May. It just seems highly unlikely that they'll be in that position AND willing to bring him up before the super-two cutoff.

Another scenario could be that they call him up this September to give him some exposure and give him a chance to acclimate to the MLB environment, then push his 2019 debut back into late-July/early-August to still save themselves that extra year of arbitration.

Ultimately, it all depends on how highly the front office values him as building block versus a trade chip. We would assume they'd see him as a building block but nothing the A's do surprise me. Remember Beane trading away then-elite prospect Addison Russell and decent-prospect Billy McKinney for rentals in 2014?

Posted (edited)

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/fantasy-baseball-prospect-rankings-midseason-top-25-highlighted-by-vladimir-guerrero-jo-adell/

13. Jesus Luzardo, SP, Athletics

2018 levels: high Class A, Double-A
2018 stats: 8-4, 2.30 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 78 1/3 IP, 20 BB, 99 K  
A first-round talent who fell to the third round in 2016 because of Tommy John surgery, Luzardo has made quick work of the minors so far, continuing to thrive after a mid-April promotion to Double-A. His past six starts: 31 innings, 15 hits, four walks, 36 strikeouts ... and one earned run.
Second-half callup is ... unlikely.

#13 already

Edited by Travis Burten
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2018 at 10:57 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

Scoreless streak up to 33 after tonight. 5 IP, 7 K, 1 H, 1 BB.

• Like 1

Assuming he's on an innings limit - do they consider jumping him to the show out of the bullpen or shut him down early? 

I assume he's got about 5-8  starts left on his innings for the year. 

A's are pretty aggressive, any chance this kid gets called up this year?

Posted (edited)

Highly doubtful because of innings cap. He only pitched 43 innings last season. 

Edited by Asprilla

Nice 

any possibility he’s in the As rotation for their stretch run? Or pen? Or nothing at all?

On 8/1/2018 at 6:49 AM, WTP333 said:

Nice 

any possibility he’s in the As rotation for their stretch run? Or pen? Or nothing at all?

It's considered rather unlikely he'll come up but as their GM pointed out they also didn't expect him to rise through the minors so quickly. 

• Like 1