Travis Burten

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

Only 78.2 IP at AA.  Speculating here but I'm thinking the only reason they would have bumped him up to AAA was to make a cameo in the bullpen as a long reliever for the stretch run. 

The A's are so hot/cold with their team performance year over year I think they give serious thought to adding him.  The call up to AAA to me indicates he'll be up.

Otherwise the other option would have just left him in AA to finish the year with 105-110 IP.  Start 2019 in AA with a call up to AAA around June-ish with a cup of coffee in September and rotation spot in 2020. 

Think the former is reality, A's in contention means he's up sooner (late 2018).  Probably starts 2019 in AAA unless he's lights out down the stretch.  

2 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

Only 78.2 IP at AA.  Speculating here but I'm thinking the only reason they would have bumped him up to AAA was to make a cameo in the bullpen as a long reliever for the stretch run.

They're definitely going to want to protect him, he's up to 93.1 innings this season so far across two levels after throwing just 43.1 last season, so I would agree that the only way he debuts this season is in the bullpen.  However,  I think it's more likely they wait given how fast he's risen through the system and how much they value keeping his innings limited. He doesn't seem like the type that would benefit from a confidence boosting relief role either given his already strong control unless the club truly thinks he can help the team win in that role (though they have a strong bullpen already with Treinen/Trivino/Familia/Pagan/Petit all performing well).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark One said:

They're definitely going to want to protect him, he's up to 93.1 innings this season so far across two levels after throwing just 43.1 last season, so I would agree that the only way he debuts this season is in the bullpen.  However,  I think it's more likely they wait given how fast he's risen through the system and how much they value keeping his innings limited. He doesn't seem like the type that would benefit from a confidence boosting relief role either given his already strong control unless the club truly thinks he can help the team win in that role (though they have a strong bullpen already with Treinen/Trivino/Familia/Pagan/Petit all performing well).

That's true.  Didn't take their current bullpen situation into account. 

My speculation was more based on the "why promote to AAA if he's going to be shut down soon anyway?" line of thinking.  We'll see, would love to see him get 10 IP at the big league level this year.

Five shutout innings in his AAA debut with six whiffs, no walks. Gave up eight hits but none went for extra bases.

• Like 3

Since his AAA debut, Luzardo has been hit really hard.  Numbers have been pretty awful.  May be starting to fatigue.  Would not be surprised if they shut him down soon.  It has been a tremendous year for the kid.

• Like 1

Kind of disappointing since he was pitching really good before the promotion and seemed to have a legit chance of a call-up at some point.  Still, he's definitely somebody I'll keep an eye on next season.  His struggles might keep him in AAA longer next season than previously expected though.

Posted (edited)

He obviously hasn’t had the results he had in A+ and AA, but Luzardo hasn’t pitched as poorly as his numbers seem to indicate.  He’s still got a 10.1 K/9 and 3.94 BB/9 (up from before, but not terrible), but he’s been done in by a .469 BABIP and a 66.2% LOB%. 

So, yes, he hasn’t pitched as well in AAA and is likely tiring a bit, there’s still a lot of to love here.  

I believe there’s still a chance he sees Oakland this year, but that likely depends on the results of his final outing or two. 

And even if promoted, expectations should be tempered, as he’s likely to only pitch in relief, and probably won’t throw too many innings. 

Edited by Onions

Scratched from his start tomorrow. Might be shut down for the season for IP reasons.

I'm fine with that. Great year for him, he's still only 20 and has put himself in position to get to MLB early next season.

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎25 at 10:54 AM, BigPapi44 said:

Since his AAA debut, Luzardo has been hit really hard.  Numbers have been pretty awful.  May be starting to fatigue.  Would not be surprised if they shut him down soon.  It has been a tremendous year for the kid.

7 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Scratched from his start tomorrow. Might be shut down for the season for IP reasons.

I'm fine with that. Great year for him, he's still only 20 and has put himself in position to get to MLB early next season.

Mentioned above.  Thought this might be coming.  Just hoping it's due to IP and not an injury.  Kid has put himself squarely in the conversation as one of the best SP prospects.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Mentioned above.  Thought this might be coming.  Just hoping it's due to IP and not an injury.  Kid has put himself squarely in the conversation as one of the best SP prospects.  

A’s GM David Forst said this morning that Luzardo would be shut down because he has reached his IP cap. They don’t want to risk him getting hurt. Sounds like there’s a chance he could crack the rotation to start next season depending on how he does in Spring Training.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2018 at 10:53 AM, Travis Burten said:

Lefty with mid-90s heat, 2 good offerings, and good control. This guy will BOOM this year big time, get in on the hype early. Looks like a bonafide top 10 pitching prospect in the minors by end of 2018. 

Haha definitely one of my profitable calls 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well this is nice news for us Luzardo owners in dynasties:

Athletics general manager David Forst said Friday that pitching prospect Jesus Luzardo will compete for a job in spring training.

Luzardo surely isn't going to make the Opening Day roster no matter what as the A's monitor his service time, but he could push for an early-season debut if he gets off to a nice start. The 21-year-old southpaw had a phenomenal 2018 season, posting a 2.88 ERA and 129/30 K/BB ratio over 109 1/3 innings across three levels.

Source: Susan Slusser on Twitter                                     Oct 5 - 2:43 PM

• Thanks 1