Travis Burten

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

4 hours ago, octapuss said:

is it time to stash?

Probably not. Sadly, his oblique killed his value in redrafts. At most he gives you 4 starts with a 90ish pitch count in Oakland and that might be pushing it. It took him until his 4th rehab start to hit 65 pitches. If he needs 5 starts in the minors to get to 75ish pitches then he is probably not worth it since he wont be up and pitching until the 2nd week of September. Seems like there are better ways to use roster spots unless your league is set up where stashing a player isn't a high opportunity cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Probably not. Sadly, his oblique killed his value in redrafts. At most he gives you 4 starts with a 90ish pitch count in Oakland and that might be pushing it. It took him until his 4th rehab start to hit 65 pitches. If he needs 5 starts in the minors to get to 75ish pitches then he is probably not worth it since he wont be up and pitching until the 2nd week of September. Seems like there are better ways to use roster spots unless your league is set up where stashing a player isn't a high opportunity cost. 

4 fantasy playoff starts is not bad if he gets you elite numbers, unless you'd rather have someone like Matt Manning

3 hours ago, pbjfb said:

4 fantasy playoff starts is not bad if he gets you elite numbers, unless you'd rather have someone like Matt Manning

This is if everything breaks perfect. Holding for a month to maybe get a few weeks is something league settings need to be applied to. A blanket statement won't fit here. I would also look at when he was picked up in his last run up to AAA and hope the same timing applies this time around. 

Struck out 7 of 10 batters he faced.  Let's just hope the injuries are a temporary glitch in what will be a great career.

43 pitches last night was very nice to see. If he bumps to 60 and then 75 he could get the call to Oakland after 2 more starts. They are not taking their time with him so that is nice to see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craiggrebeck said:

Starting tomorrow at AAA Las Vegas.

I read somewhere he was starting on Thursday at AAA. He threw on Saturday so I don't think they are bringing him back on 3 days rest to throw tomorrow. 

56 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I read somewhere he was starting on Thursday at AAA. He threw on Saturday so I don't think they are bringing him back on 3 days rest to throw tomorrow. 

Correct. He is pitching on Thursday. 

2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Lol. Losing track of the days of the week. Thanks for the correction!

3 hours ago, TheBigBambino said:

Any chance this guy sees some action in the next couple weeks?

Pretty much a guarantee. It is just 1-2 starts away assuming no injury or REALLY bad blow up (like worse than yesterday’s)

6 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Not good results, but he threw 65 pitches. 

That was my takeaway as well. Wind was blowing out 11 mph, but without video we don't know what was a cheap shot and what was crushed. Puk also gave up a HR in this game. 

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Worth a stash in redraft?

The A's are in a weird spot. Puk. Luzardo. Manaea. Activating any of them will require someone getting bumped from the 40 man. I don't know how the A's rank those guys. Luzardo seems to have the highest upside. Manaea obviously has experience and you just have to think the A's value that to some degree. Puk seems like the guy that is the odd man out. The fact that they are accelerating Luzardo's pitch counts makes me think they want him asap. If he throws a gem I think he will solidify himself ahead of the other 2 and then could contribute down the stretch. Even if the A's fall out of contention he should get innings and isn't a shut down guy since he basically missed the entire season. 

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any updates on him?..have him stashed but don’t want to waste a spot 

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaseyPrattABC7/status/1162504493272973313?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-54380765763979443.ampproject.net%2F1908162035200%2Fframe.html

Quick video clip of Melvin speaking on Luzardo and his possible role if/when he is called up....Based off of the last 10 seconds or so, it sure sounds like they are expecting him to be up in the near future and as a SP. If they do plan on him coming out of the pen, it seems they will try that in AAA before his call up. So, we should have a good idea what we are looking at very shortly.

Jesus Luzardo (shoulder) allowed just one run over 4 2\/3 innings Tuesday night with Triple-A Las Vegas. 
src: Martin Gallegos

Looks like he threw 78 pitches.

We're getting there.

Edited by Z06vette
  • Like 1

They can line him up to face the Royals in KC if they call him up before his next start (could put him vs. Giants at home as well, but there is an off day on Friday) and let him throw 90ish pitches in his debut. If they wait on that he lines up vs. the Yankees in NY which would be about as intense as they could make a professional debut. They can also stretch this out and get the Angels at home in early September. These games all matter for the playoffs so they can't really shelter him too much. Will be interesting to see how they play it. I wouldn't be shocked if this was his last minor league start. 

On 8/21/2019 at 12:13 AM, Z06vette said:

Jesus Luzardo (shoulder) allowed just one run over 4 2\/3 innings Tuesday night with Triple-A Las Vegas. 
src: Martin Gallegos

Looks like he threw 78 pitches.

We're getting there.

i sure hope so...lol

have him stashed