Travis Burten

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

Can write him off for the first half of the season IMO. Shut down for nearly 2 months and then has to spend multiple weeks after that stretching his arm back out and working up his pitch counts etc

A safe drop in redrafts. Decent chance he doesn’t pitch in MLB this season. Even with a quick recovery he’ll probably be at AAA for a while. Bummer.

Jesus Luzardo is being shut down for 4-to-6 weeks with a muscle strain in his left shoulder.

Luzardo was considered a candidate to open the season in the rotation. That's obviously not going to happen now. One of the top pitching prospects in baseball, Luzardo won't be able to begin throwing again until late April or the beginning of May because of the injury. He still has a chance to contribute in 2019, but it likely won't happen until the summer.

Source: Jane Lee on Twitter                                              Mar 21, 2019, 5:21 AM

I weep.

Man what a kick in the butt. Us fantasy owners that roster him are upset, but I feel horrible for the kid. Hopefully he comes back without any issues.

26 minutes ago, Team Dynasty said:

Man what a kick in the butt. Us fantasy owners that roster him are upset, but I feel horrible for the kid. Hopefully he comes back without any issues.

yea he should be fine. he already has a TJ surgery under his belt

Massive bummer.  Was looking for a way I could possibly keep him through the injury but considering he's unlikely to be IL eligible it seems as if he's a drop outside of deep keepers/dynasties. Glad we should still see him this summer though (knock on wood).

Just reading this.  Feels like a kick in the stomach.  Hopefully this is not something that lingers.

CSB, but my minor league arms in my dynasty league are literally, Luzardo, Kopech, Puk, Honeywell, McKenize, Gore, Sixto.  If I was you guys I’d move Gore and Sixto ASAP if you own them.  Me and pitching prospects don’t go together.  The volatility of young arms now is very freightening.

Does anyone know if he'll be DL eligible on yahoo, or just NA?

I am also in a yahoo league.  Think it would stay as NA.

36 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Does anyone know if he'll be DL eligible on yahoo, or just NA?

You have to be on the active roster to be dl-ed. They aren't calling him up to dl him. Minor league dl probably, but that doesn't get the tags in any platform.

• Sad 1

First casualty of the year for me..

..I had this guy marked as the #1 rookie to make an impact AFTER the typical guys like Eloy, Vlad, Robles.

Senzel and Luzardo were my $1 targets in redrafts that I thought would make an impact early.

I'm not waiting until summer for him to be up in any sort of redrat shallow league. He gawn. 

25 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

..I had this guy marked as the #1 rookie to make an impact AFTER the typical guys like Eloy, Vlad, Robles.

Senzel and Luzardo were my $1 targets in redrafts that I thought would make an impact early.

I'm not waiting until summer for him to be up in any sort of redrat shallow league. He gawn. 

snag paddack as a consolation prize, my dude

Yeah, it's a bummer. On the sunny side- it is a muscle issue with no concern about the AC joint/rotator cuff. He was gonna be on a limit this year anyways, so hopefully shut him down and let it heal, then ramp back up and most of his 'bullets' can still come at the big league level from late June onward.

• Like 2

The annoying thing about this for redrafts is that he won't be DL-eligible in redrafts I don't think since he was never on an MLB roster. If you want to stash him, it will take a roster spot. Plus side, however, is that if he's called up June 1, he should have no issue pitching uncontrolled through the end of the regular season.

The more I'm thinking on it the more I'm considering keeping him stashed. Muscle injury only. 4-6 weeks shut down then (hopefully) 4-6 weeks pitching and stretching back out.  He was going to be on an inning limit anyway.

So you burn a bench spot on a LHP prospect with ace potential, but you have to wait till late June to July to get him.  Depends on your team and situation sure but in general there are worse uses of a bench spot in deeper redraft and shallower keeper leagues.  

• Confused 1

Great silver lining IF all goes well. Especially for those in h2h keeper leagues with tighter roster limits because after 'shutdowns' late in the season these guys with inning limits become a headache. You don't want to drop after the shutdown but owning a empty spot on your roster can hurt a playoff run. And the IF is what happened to Whitley last year, several set backs made his chances go up in smoke for second half help.

3 hours ago, Baur10 said:

The more I'm thinking on it the more I'm considering keeping him stashed. Muscle injury only. 4-6 weeks shut down then (hopefully) 4-6 weeks pitching and stretching back out.  He was going to be on an inning limit anyway.

So you burn a bench spot on a LHP prospect with ace potential, but you have to wait till late June to July to get him.  Depends on your team and situation sure but in general there are worse uses of a bench spot in deeper redraft and shallower keeper leagues.  

You don't burn a bench spot.  You keep him in a NA slot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You don't burn a bench spot.  You keep him in a NA slot.

If you got one sure.  But if you don't I'm just saying I can see an argument for, in very particular situations, keeping him in a BN spot even outside of the dynasty format.

I'm probably wrong here though.  Fully admit that I drank the Luzardo Kool-Aid and then went back for seconds. I got a weak spot for exciting young LHP prospects.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, CrypTviLL said:

Did you have him ahead of Whitley (to make an impact as a rookie)? and do you still now?

8 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Did you have him ahead of Whitley (to make an impact as a rookie)? and do you still now?

Prior to this injury, yes I did... the reason is due to opportunity. Luzardo was going to be up within the first 3 weeks of the season or so, while Whitley may not even have an opportunity to start this year for Houston and would likely be up during the mid-late summer. 

After the injury... it all depends on when he can come back. If I recall it's a 4-6 week injury, and then he needs still a number of weeks to get game-ready and some seasoning in the minors... I still think he has the better shot to produce this year over Whitley due to opportunity being available tho. HOU just has such a strong rotation.

• Thanks 1