• Announcements

    • Patrick Bateman

      Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

      Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
psygolf

Derrick Henry 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This video put him back on the map for me. Henry was born to be the workhorse of an outside zone run scheme and that's exactly what LeFleur is bringing to Nashville. 

 

Ppr leagues? Sure, fade a bit. Lewis is not going to take over the starting job tho. They need Henry to do what he does to open everything else up. 

 

 

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They love Henry so much that they went and made Dion Lewis one of the highest paid RBs in the league and have already said several times it’s going to be a time share 

 

I actually like both Henry and Lewis this year, but it’s absurd how overrated Henry is and how underrated Lewis is 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

This video put him back on the map for me. Henry was born to be the workhorse of an outside zone run scheme and that's exactly what LeFleur is bringing to Nashville. 

 

Ppr leagues? Sure, fade a bit. Lewis is not going to take over the starting job tho. They need Henry to do what he does to open everything else up. 

 

 

Everyone should be watching all of his vids. Great stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 3:14 AM, Panthers8912 said:

I don’t understand this guys adp. Or Lewis s, for that matter, but atleast he’ll catch balls

So when I posted this, both Henry and Lewis had 4th round adps on espn. They’ve dropped to mid late 5th now. When are y’all taking shots on these guys? 5th seems fair for each (Henry standard, Lewis ppr)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

So when I posted this, both Henry and Lewis had 4th round adps on espn. They’ve dropped to mid late 5th now. When are y’all taking shots on these guys? 5th seems fair for each (Henry standard, Lewis ppr)

 

i am in three ppr leagues, and have been one of Henry's biggest boosters up in here over the past two seasons, had him rostered both years across the board. 

 

but if both are sitting there for me in the fifth, i go Dion this time.  i will not reach earlier for either, it's fifth rd. or bust.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Henry went 2 rounds earlier than Dion Lewis in our 14 team rotoworld league ... and I still don’t know why 

 

(ppr league, gimme Lewis - who’s not just a “3rd down back”, nor would he have been so aggressively pursued in free agency  if he was just going to be a “change of pace from the demigodness of Derrick Henry”)

 

(Lewis only played 36% of NEs snaps last year and still lit it up - it’s insane how underrated he is)

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Henry went 2 rounds earlier than Dion Lewis in our 14 team rotoworld league ... and I still don’t know why 

 

(ppr league, gimme Lewis - who’s not just a “3rd down back”, nor would he have been so aggressively pursued in free agency  if he was just going to be a “change of pace from the demigodness of Derrick Henry”)

 

(Lewis only played 36% of NEs snaps last year and still lit it up - it’s insane how underrated he is)

I agree Lewis is good but there’s still certianly usage questions. Would it be that surprising if Henry was the main guy 1/2nd down? The titans offense is also a lot different from the pats. Lewis looked good last year yes, but what DC faces tom Brady saying “we have to stop the run”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

I agree Lewis is good but there’s still certianly usage questions. Would it be that surprising if Henry was the main guy 1/2nd down? The titans offense is also a lot different from the pats. Lewis looked good last year yes, but what DC faces tom Brady saying “we have to stop the run”

 

You don’t pay Lewis what they did to ride the bench. Lewis isn’t “good” - He’s one of the best RBs in the league, and grading as the most elusive back in the league has nothing to do with Tom Brady.

 

Lewis has been an elite producer every time he gets touches ... and there’s a reason he was so aggressively pursued by Tennessee. It’s not to cheer for Derrick Henry on the sidelines. 

 

(Repeat: I like both a lot this year)

 

http://www.thegamenashville.com/2018/05/18/bucks-blog-the-case-for-dion-lewis-as-the-titans-starter/

 

https://atozsportsnashville.com/titans-offensive-coordinator-matt-lafleur-might-prefer-dion-lewis-derrick-henry/

 

You think they add a new OC and then sign Lewis without plans to use him quite a bit?

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

You don’t pay Lewis what they did to ride the bench. Lewis isn’t “good” - He’s one of the best RBs in the league, and grading as the most elusive back in the league has nothing to do with Tom Brady.

 

Lewis has been an elite producer every time he gets touches ... and there’s a reason he was so aggressively pursued by Tennessee. It’s not to cheer for Derrick Henry on the sidelines. 

 

(Repeat: I like both a lot this year)

This seems quite... delusional 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

This seems quite... delusional 

 

Tom Brady makes Dion Lewis more elusive? 

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-a-healthy-dion-lewis-is-paying-dividends-in-new-england

 

im sure those yards after contact and everything else he grades among the elite RBs is due to Tom Brady 

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

Tom Brady makes Dion Lewis more elusive? 

Yes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Yes? 

 

How a QB influences metrics derived solely from the skill players’ ability once the ball is already in their hands is beyond me ...

 

Now, if you want to/are trying to say having 1 of the best QBs in the league helps the Patriots offense/run game - I’ll agree, because that actually makes sense. 

 

If you honestly think Tom Brady influences Dion Lewis’ ability to break tackles and elude defenders once the ball is already in his hands, you’re just wrong - because that makes no sense whatsoever. Grading elusiveness of a player has absolutely nothing to do with the QB that got him the ball and is directly linked to what that respective player does once he has the ball. 

 

 

Tom Brady’s fake is lovely, but it has nothing to do with the fact Lewis makes his man miss, them splits 2 defenders for a TD. Is Brady great? Absolutely. 

 

Mariota can make a 5 yard dumpoff and let Lewis do the rest too.

 

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

You don’t pay Lewis what they did to ride the bench. Lewis isn’t “good” - He’s one of the best RBs in the league, and grading as the most elusive back in the league has nothing to do with Tom Brady.

 

Lewis has been an elite producer every time he gets touches ... and there’s a reason he was so aggressively pursued by Tennessee. It’s not to cheer for Derrick Henry on the sidelines. 

 

(Repeat: I like both a lot this year)

 

http://www.thegamenashville.com/2018/05/18/bucks-blog-the-case-for-dion-lewis-as-the-titans-starter/

 

https://atozsportsnashville.com/titans-offensive-coordinator-matt-lafleur-might-prefer-dion-lewis-derrick-henry/

 

You think they add a new OC and then sign Lewis without plans to use him quite a bit?

 

unlike another fairly recent big $ FA expat ex-Pat (Vereen), Lewis can get it done on the ground quite well.  he'll never be a true workhorse, but can be absolutely deadly in the 15 touches per game range ... his skills always reminds me of Jamaal Charles, to a certain extent ... not as blazingly fast, of course (few ever were), but elusive/quick/slippery/dynamic - a legit playmaker. 

 

Dion is also more adept at being the multifaceted rb this offense needs atm - remember, for all the Henry love and lore, the future of the Tennessee tackle football club is squarely on Mariota's shoulders, and no one else is close. 

 

this regime is gonna tailor it to fit MM's strengths, and i believe that as the season shakes out, we see a very healthy dose of Lewis over DH.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all up in DH this year.  I play standard scoring in my leagues so there is that. I think this offense will be much improved and they will be scoring a lot more TDs. I'd also like to get some shares in Davis this year depending on where his ADP ends up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

 

unlike another fairly recent big $ FA expat ex-Pat (Vereen), Lewis can get it done on the ground quite well.  he'll never be a true workhorse, but can be absolutely deadly in the 15 touches per game range ... his skills always reminds me of Jamaal Charles, to a certain extent ... not as blazingly fast, of course (few ever were), but elusive/quick/slippery/dynamic - a legit playmaker. 

 

Dion is also more adept at being the multifaceted rb this offense needs atm - remember, for all the Henry love and lore, the future of the Tennessee tackle football club is squarely on Mariota's shoulders, and no one else is close. 

 

this regime is gonna tailor it to fit MM's strengths, and i believe that as the season shakes out, we see a very healthy dose of Lewis over DH.  

 

Ding 

 

Lewis is an excellent “between the tackles” runner in addition to being an elite option in the pass game / open field. 

 

Hes a much more complete back than Henry - who, again, I also like a lot this year 

 

I’d love to get the 1st or last pick in my draft and just draft Henry/Lewis back to back. Own the backfield, get a ton of fantasy points in either format. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

They love Henry so much that they went and made Dion Lewis one of the highest paid RBs in the league and have already said several times it’s going to be a time share 

 

I actually like both Henry and Lewis this year, but it’s absurd how overrated Henry is and how underrated Lewis is 

You need RB depth in this league. Paying for a 1b or 2 is not something that should be overanalyzed.

 

Dion Lewis should not be 4 rounds before Gio Bernard. Lewis is insanely over ranked as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Magoo said:

You need RB depth in this league. Paying for a 1b or 2 is not something that should be overanalyzed.

 

Dion Lewis should not be 4 rounds before Gio Bernard. Lewis is insanely over ranked as is.

 

1. He’s exponentially better than Gio

2. You don’t pay top 10 money for “depth” 

3. Several “1B” backs are fantasy relevant 

4. Titans insiders are even acknowledging the distinct possibility Lewis leads the backfield in total yards 

 

Otherwise, great points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

1. He’s exponentially better than Gio

2. You don’t pay top 10 money for “depth” 

3. Several “1B” backs are fantasy relevant 

4. Titans insiders are even acknowledging the distinct possibility Lewis leads the backfield in total yards 

 

Otherwise, great points.

Of course he’s relevant. Of course he’s paid like other part timers (Duke Johnson)

 

Same insiders said its Henry’s job and he’ll be given what he can handle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Of course he’s relevant. Of course he’s paid like other part timers (Duke Johnson)

 

Same insiders said its Henry’s job and he’ll be given what he can handle 

 

You don’t pay Dion Lewis what they did if you have any intention of giving Henry “all that he can handle” - makes no sense whatsoever 

 

Anyways, it’s really not worth discussing Derrick Henry. Some acknowledge reality, others have mock ups of his hall of fame bust in their basements - nothing’s gonna change. 

 

I prefer Lewis in PPR leagues, and still like Henry. Good luck this year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

1. He’s exponentially better than Gio

2. You don’t pay top 10 money for “depth” 

3. Several “1B” backs are fantasy relevant 

4. Titans insiders are even acknowledging the distinct possibility Lewis leads the backfield in total yards 

 

Otherwise, great points.

 

I wouldn't get too caught up in this "top 10 money" concept.  A lot of RB studs are still on their rookie contracts.  And for what it's worth, Lewis is making $4.312mm this year.  Gio Bernard is making $4.25mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

You don’t pay Dion Lewis what they did if you have any intention of giving Henry “all that he can handle” - makes no sense whatsoever 

 

Anyways, it’s really not worth discussing Derrick Henry. Some acknowledge reality, others have mock ups of his hall of fame bust in their basements - nothing’s gonna change. 

 

I prefer Lewis in PPR leagues, and still like Henry. Good luck this year.

I feel like too many see Lewis as mostly just a pass catcher, when a LOT of his runs were between the tackles. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Lewis took the bulk of carries around mid season. I think Henry will start the season ahead, but Lewis finishes ahead. The kid is a baller..for these reasons I will be avoiding Henry in all drafts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see the draw.  Early 4th round for a committee back, that even on a playoff team only ran the ball 366 times last year.  Unless one of them can mirror the targets of Kamara, CMC, or Duke (roughly 100) then it's hard to see a reasonable split where both backs can return value, without expecting a drastic offensive philosophy adjustment, or team improvement.  Granted both of the latter could occur, but in the 4th round, do you really want to be betting on a guy with the thought process of 'I hope he leads this committee!'?  At least given D.Lewis' injury history, Henry has the additional upside that could potentially put him in a great position by mid season and is the clear favorite for goal line work I would think.

 

As for Dion Lewis... basically CGoCP just showed us that last year he was absolutely amazing in every advanced metric in the game, with drastic outliers in at least one, if not multiple of them, while playing on one of the best offenses in the NFL and he was still... not special. 15th overall, 20th in PPG, with 12.3.  To be fair, his first 5 games of the year shouldn't even be included in his analysis.  Having said that, I'd argue the same for weeks 15, 16, and 17, where Lewis accumulated 43% of his seasons totals in just 3 games.  Unless you think Lewis is going to get 25 carries a game, or 10 targets a game, these strike me as irrelevant in projecting his 2018 season.

 

None of this negative analysis has to do with their skill sets, potential, ability, etc.  I just don't see enough opportunity for either of them to exceed expectations, relative to draft costs.  Much of this comes down to your draft style and what you're looking for in rounds 4~7.  If you're looking for high floor, reliable RB2 production, then perhaps these guys are of interest to you.  If you're the type of drafter who wants to chase some upside, maybe you're looking at names like Ajayi, Drake, Ingram, and/or a few of the rookie RBs who fall into this same range that Henry/Lewis span.  Either are viable, it's just personal preference.  I fall into the latter category of chasing upside.  Maybe I'm underestimating the upside these two could have, it's possible, but I'm not currently interested in either of these backs at their ADPs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TitansOnline's Jim Wyatt writes the Titans "plan" for Derrick Henry "to be the lead back."

Wyatt adds Henry's performance will determine how the workload is distributed, but Henry is the favorite for carries over Dion Lewis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Entering his third season with the Tennessee Titans, former Alabama Heisman winner Derrick Henry gets his first crack at being the guy at running back and the ballcarrier before him is a major believer in his talents.

Former Titan Demarco Murray said this week that Henry is in for a breakout season this fall and should be a catalyst for one of the NFL's brightest offenses.

“I think Derrick’s a smart guy,” Murray said during an appearance on Adam Schefter's podcast. “He’s a fast guy, very physical, athletic. Now that I’m not there, I think he can hone in on being the guy, and if they use him the right way and if he can consistently be the every-down back, I think he has a great future, a bright future.

 

“The Titans are a great team, great organization and Marcus (Mariota) is going into this fourth year. So, with him having played three years — and I know obviously it’s a new offense, but going through the offseason I think they’re going to simplify things for him a little bit and let him be the quarterback, let him kind of take charge. So I think Derrick will be great. I think he’ll continue to run the ball well and protect the quarterback. I think they’ll be fine.”

Henry has rushed for 1,234 yards and 10 touchdowns over two seasons, but has only averaged 9.2 carries per game. With more totes this fall as Tennessee's lead, Henry should set career-bests in every statistical category as long as he stays healthy and the Titans' offense performs to expectations.

 

Henry actually rushed for more yards last season than Murray despite fewer carries, somewhat of a surprise considering Murray was coming off a 1,287-yard campaign the previous year. According to NFL.com, Murray earned 616 snaps to Henry's 386 during the regular season despite not being a reliable force on the ground.

Saddled with a knee injury in the regular-season finale, Murray missed the postseason and was released by the Titans in March. During Murray's absence in a first-round playoff win over Kansas City, Henry emerged with starpower, galloping his way to a 156 yards and two scores.

 

Murray has since met with several teams and says he has used the offseason to properly heal from knee and hamstring concerns dating back to last season.  247Sports NFL analyst analyst Dan Cotton projects a 900-yard season out of Henry with considerable production as a pass-catcher.

The Titans signed speedy veteran tailback Dion Lewis in the offseason to create a potential thunder and lightning pairing with Henry. Lewis shouldn't affect Henry's carry totals on early downs and will be primarily used as a change of pace weapon for Mariota and Co. under new offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2018 at 7:20 PM, Lord_Varys said:

This video put him back on the map for me. Henry was born to be the workhorse of an outside zone run scheme and that's exactly what LeFleur is bringing to Nashville. 

 

Ppr leagues? Sure, fade a bit. Lewis is not going to take over the starting job tho. They need Henry to do what he does to open everything else up. 

 

 

 

Edited by RMJ_12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.