Homerj24

Wilson Ramos 2018 Outlook

Solid, but would have much rather seen an OF upgrade.   I just dont get why you would stunt Alfaro's growth defensively at this point by making him sit 4-5 days?   Wonder if they'll send him down or simply DFA Knappy ?

7 minutes ago, malta69 said:

Solid, but would have much rather seen an OF upgrade.   I just dont get why you would stunt Alfaro's growth defensively at this point by making him sit 4-5 days?   Wonder if they'll send him down or simply DFA Knappy ?

Because they are trying to win now and Ramos is a much better player.  Alfaro can develop more in April 2019.

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wilson/Alfaro platoon is good for Pihlly.  And even as a rental, Ramos should be a good mentor for Alfaro.  Also Ramos is a FA at the end of the season and someone is going to sign him.  Why not Philly.

Good for Philly, not good for fantasy. I'd prefer him being the every day C.

is he going to need to go on a rehab assignment before coming back?  any schedule in place?

This does not excite me from a fantasy perspective.  He gets an upgrade in lineup - but:

He was the cleanup hitter and TBs young lineup has been scoring. He will probably drop a spot or two now.  He's in an NL park and loses the DH - so you won't get 6 out of 7 games a week anymore (he is coming back from a hammy so, he'd be limited anyway.) 

Small gripes - in a weekly lock though, it adds up

1 hour ago, jahweedum said:

This does not excite me from a fantasy perspective.  He gets an upgrade in lineup - but:

He was the cleanup hitter and TBs young lineup has been scoring. He will probably drop a spot or two now.  He's in an NL park and loses the DH - so you won't get 6 out of 7 games a week anymore (he is coming back from a hammy so, he'd be limited anyway.) 

Small gripes - in a weekly lock though, it adds up

Well, he was barely DHing on the days he wasnt catching. Last couple weeks before his injury, he was playing 2/3 every series. You'd figure it would stay the same with the Phils.

Line up and park upgrade and will play the same or more given how TB was babying him (and then he blows a hammy running to first anyways). 

Given so little was given up to get him I wonder if he's out a while longer still though.  I mean nobody else wanted the guy and offered more? Philly isn't the only team who needed a Ca upgrade. 

Wilson Ramos (hamstring) said Thursday that he is "100 percent" confident he can return in August.

This tells me he's coming back LATE August rather than any time soon.  And also explains the PTBNL or Cash package he was traded for.  The trade package will depend on IF/When he comes back and how many games he plays sorta deal. 

just read where alfaro leads mlb in caught stealing for catchers.  surprised they would remove that element from their game....

seen reports on the twittersphere he is being activated tonight, but nothing official.  anyone in philly hear anything?

3 minutes ago, herschel said:

seen reports on the twittersphere he is being activated tonight, but nothing official.  anyone in philly hear anything?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, herschel said:

Lineup just released. Alfaro is starting tonight, but Ramos is with the team. Should be starting tomorrow.

Ramos's agent confirms Wednesday activation.  

• Like 2

Now that he's on the Phillies I can't help but be reminded of the days of Carlos "Chooch" Ruiz 

With men on base: .320 AVG, .923 OPS, .393 wOBA, 154 wRC+

With men in scoring position: .372 AVG, .982 OPS, .419 wOBA, 172 wRC+

He's good.

[for the Ramos owners in dynasty/keeper leagues]

Wilson Ramos is easily a top 3 C this year. but at the same  time he had some issues with injuries in the past.

also he turns 32 next year, so he isn't 'young' by any means.

but still. 'if' he can stay healthy, his bat is definitely 'keeper' material.

his surface stats are amazing, and his peripherals back up those stats. in fact, the peripherals insist that he should have a better line than this.

I see him as a Victor Martinez clone. VMart turned 31 at 2011, went .850 OPS with 100 RBI's, and then he missed 2012 because of a serious injury (tore ACL).

but came back at the age of 33 and still produced 3 more solid campaigns(2013,2014,2016).

and he was a definite keeper in most leagues throughout 2011~2014. his 2015 season was a mess, but he bounced back in 2016 for the last time.

Ramos, barring any injuries, is a definite keeper. his catcher days might end in 1~2 years, but his bat is a no-doubter which has incredible value 'if' he can maintain his 'C' tag. but even if he doesn't, he's a valuable mid-round asset in all formats.

considering a 14-team standard league, if you're lineup isn't stacked, he's definitely an option to keep.

1~5 man keep: drop him

6~9 man keep: considerable option

10~ man keep: definite keep

PS. he becomes a FA after this season, monitor him carefully. if he somehow lands to an AL team, his value will skyrocket since he will get a heap of PT at C and DH.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jhsong916 said:

[for the Ramos owners in dynasty/keeper leagues]

Wilson Ramos is easily a top 3 C this year. but at the same  time he had some issues with injuries in the past.

also he turns 32 next year, so he isn't 'young' by any means.

but still. 'if' he can stay healthy, his bat is definitely 'keeper' material.

his surface stats are amazing, and his peripherals back up those stats. in fact, the peripherals insist that he should have a better line than this.

I see him as a Victor Martinez clone. VMart turned 31 at 2011, went .850 OPS with 100 RBI's, and then he missed 2012 because of a serious injury (tore ACL).

but came back at the age of 33 and still produced 3 more solid campaigns(2013,2014,2016).

and he was a definite keeper in most leagues throughout 2011~2014. his 2015 season was a mess, but he bounced back in 2016 for the last time.

Ramos, barring any injuries, is a definite keeper. his catcher days might end in 1~2 years, but his bat is a no-doubter which has incredible value 'if' he can maintain his 'C' tag. but even if he doesn't, he's a valuable mid-round asset in all formats.

considering a 14-team standard league, if you're lineup isn't stacked, he's definitely an option to keep.

1~5 man keep: drop him

6~9 man keep: considerable option

10~ man keep: definite keep

PS. he becomes a FA after this season, monitor him carefully. if he somehow lands to an AL team, his value will skyrocket since he will get a heap of PT at C and DH.

He didnt DH much, if at all in TB this year.

He’s probably not headed back to TB

Point was its not a given he'll DH on days hes not catching on an AL team.

Understood - but it remains quite reasonable to expect he will see more than the 5 starts at DH the Rays gave him.