Homerj24

Nick Castellanos 2018 Outlook

Considering Castellanos has very little protection in that lineup what he's doing is amazing. I think we just need to call him what he is....a hell of a good young hitter. I think the dude is only 25. He has become a fantastic hitter, taking what the pitchers give him. He has the bat speed to turn on inside pitches while also being able to drive outside pitches to right. He's a complete hitter.  

• Like 1

Castellanos certainly is developing into one of the better hitters in baseball. I'll gladly accept the slight downtrend in the homerun department in exchange for a well rounded approach at the plate. He's got a good eye, and is starting to drive the ball a little more throughout the park. 

My only complaint is that I wish he still was a third baseman for fantasy position purposes. 

Not enough love for this guy!!! He's batting like .410 the last 2wks and .380 over his last 100abs with 3hr and 12rbi... Not including today's already 2/3 1r, 1rbi (& counting)... He's absolutely en fuego right now and doesn't get nearly enough love in this forum! 

My only complaint is in my keeper he doesn't play 3b anymore but the way he's raking, I'm ok with it!

• Like 1

Not to mention it's against Severino today, 2-for-3 with his only out being a loud one, on a day when hardly anyone else has touched him. I thought I reached for Castellanos in the eighth round of a 12-teamer, but I'm pretty happy with that right now.

• Like 2

This guy is fantastic if your team is desperate for batting average .. otherwise he's borderline waiver wire fodder. Just too many 3B in the league right now bringing something else in more rare categories. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

This guy is fantastic if your team is desperate for batting average .. otherwise he's borderline waiver wire fodder. Just too many 3B in the league right now bringing something else in more rare categories. 

i do agree that 3B is deep, but i think i disagree here in regards to him being ww fodder due to his OF eligibility (however long he can keep it that is). he's putting up 4th round value right now. i feel that he's flying under the radar because he's not putting up big power numbers. aside from that he's your glue guy that stabilizes your batting average while providing pretty good counting stats. what i find amazing is that he's getting on base at a great clip with more than just blip singles so he's actually doing quite well from an OBP and OPS (even though hes not getting a ton of HRs) standpoint. all of this with a mid-late pick or ww pick up that many spent to get him.

i do wish he would walk more, but hey beggars cant be choosers lol

all in all, i'm esstatic to have him as my OF#3 and i feel you could make a case for him being an OF#2 or even a primary 3B for many teams. 

Edited by sharpee

13 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Waiver wire fodder? Maybe in an 6-team league 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

His current 9.5% hr/fb rate is nearly 5% less than last year. Given he's 3rd in the majors in hard-hit rate, I feel comfortable projecting that to rise. He's on pace for 51 doubles, so expect some of those doubles to become homers as the season wears on. Keep in mind, he hit 22 of his 26 homers after May last year. 

• Like 2

Waiver wire fodder? LOL. He has 6 homers in June CUT HIM. He has 3B/RF eligibility in my league and I run him at will, and he is a large reason my team is doing well. The power numbers will come...he had 26 homers last year and is still only mid 20s age. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Dude is literally ranked #28 in my 16-team league.  If he's waiver wire fodder then why even draft?  Just grab whoever wears shoes and field a team.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Puff, puff, give; homie.

• Like 1

Can anyone foresee any playing time issues if he would be moved to the St. Louis Cardinals which is only a rumor and Gyorko stays at the hot corner?

Just looking ahead because I'm looking into trying to acquire him in my dynasty league but saw the rumors of a Tigers rebuild and a possible landing spot for Castellanos in St. Louis.

2 minutes ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

Can anyone foresee any playing time issues if he would be moved to the St. Louis Cardinals which is only a rumor and Gyorko stays at the hot corner?

Just looking ahead because I'm looking into trying to acquire him in my dynasty league but saw the rumors of a Tigers rebuild and a possible landing spot for Castellanos in St. Louis.

What? this makes no sense at all. Detroit is actually only a few games out of first place. Shocking as that is, they are right there in the race. 

Also, Castellanos is a better hitter with way more upside than Gyorko so if he could man 3rd, then Gyorko would be out the mix. Though I am also not sure the last time Nick played 3B...he has been exclusively in RF for a while now and St.Louis really doesn't need outfielders in my view. 

I don't see this deal happening, but if St.Louis were to make a move on him, which would require multiple good prospects, WHY the hell would they trade for him to NOT play him? 

1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

What? this makes no sense at all. Detroit is actually only a few games out of first place. Shocking as that is, they are right there in the race. 

Also, Castellanos is a better hitter with way more upside than Gyorko so if he could man 3rd, then Gyorko would be out the mix. Though I am also not sure the last time Nick played 3B...he has been exclusively in RF for a while now and St.Louis really doesn't need outfielders in my view. 

I don't see this deal happening, but if St.Louis were to make a move on him, which would require multiple good prospects, WHY the hell would they trade for him to NOT play him? 

I agree. I was just throwing it out there in case there was more to it because members on this forum know there baseball. Castellanos is also in a contract year so I believe if would leave Detroit he would likely only be a rental albeit a much cheaper one than say Machado. I could be wrong on that. 

1 minute ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

I agree. I was just throwing it out there in case there was more to it because members on this forum know there baseball. Castellanos is also in a contract year so I believe if would leave Detroit he would likely only be a rental albeit a much cheaper one than say Machado. I could be wrong on that. 

fair enough my friend. Just know that IF someone were to trade for Nick they would have to pay a pretty good cost and they wouldn't be doing that to have him be a part timer. I've seen Nick handle guys like Severino...no need to platoon him, he's an exceptional hitter. A team getting him would be getting a 550 at bat guy. 

I do NOT know if he is apt to playing any 3B because even when Canderlario doesn't play for Detroit, Nick has not moved up to the dirt so I am going to state that I think he's a pure RF now. His defense there is solid, though not spectacular. He's workable.  

I just don't see St.Louis as a fit, UNLESS he were to be slotted into 3rd. The Cardinals already can't get enough at bats for Bader and O'Neill in the OF so adding more pieces there makes little sense (though I suppose a trade with Detroit could include 1 of those 2).

Edited by kwolf68

On 6/17/2018 at 12:55 AM, kwolf68 said:

Make no mistake, the Tigers will be sellers at the deadline.  Being a few games out of first means very little when it's the worst division possibly in the history of the game.

Despite this guy making tons of hard contact his game doesn't really translate that well to 5 cat roto (again unless you need to balance your roster with a high BA, high RBI player) 

unlike hosmer he doesn't have that high walk rate and above average baserunning skills that lets him provide much value in the R category 

so essentially you are getting a 2-category player .. a .300/70/20+/90+ season is good ... but in standard mixed leagues (like say yahoo's format where you only start 1 3B, 3 OF) you're better off turning the waiver wire looking for someone who might have some hidden upside to offer in HR/SB .. unless of course your lineup lacks batting average and rbi ... 

i won't be using more than a late round niche pick to balance my roster on someone like castellanos going forward 

you could have gotten someone like andujar or max muncy freely off the waiver wire this season who are producing more per PA than someone like castellanos without having to use a top 150 pick 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

7 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Despite this guy making tons of hard contact his game doesn't really translate that well to 5 cat roto (again unless you need to balance your roster with a high BA, high RBI player) 

unlike hosmer he doesn't have that high walk rate and above average baserunning skills that lets him provide much value in the R category 

so essentially you are getting a 2-category player .. a .300/70/20+/90+ season is good ... but in standard mixed leagues (like say yahoo's format where you only start 1 3B, 3 OF) you're better off turning the waiver wire looking for someone who might have some hidden upside to offer in HR/SB .. unless of course your lineup lacks batting average and rbi ... 

i won't be using more than a late round niche pick to balance my roster on someone like castellanos going forward 

you could have gotten someone like andujar or max muncy freely off the waiver wire this season who are producing more per PA than someone like castellanos without having to use a top 150 pick 

I think you're underrating him because he didn't hit for much power to begin the year. He's currently 65th on the PR in ESPN, well inside the Top 150. I mean you really think he shouldn't be taken in the first 10+ rounds?? He's a very good hitter and his power is beginning to grow as evidenced by last year and his recent power surge in the past few weeks. There's always going to be select waiver adds that perform as well as higher drafted players but that is nearly impossible to predict. That's like saying - "I shouldn't have drafted X pitcher because I could have just added Corbin who will be top 5 in K's." Castellanos is young, carries a profile for a good average, growing and above average power, and hits in the middle of the order (albeit a weak one.) I dont think hes a top 25 hitter or anything but I think you are way undervaluing him.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I sorta disagree with what you said but I won't argue it.

Personally I had higher hopes for Nick than 20-90-70 this year. I think he is currently on pace for 22-93-82 while hitting .310 but I think as the weather heats up the power might come a little more frequent. The team sucks and he is not going to benefit the same as if he were hitting in the middle of a lineup like the Phillies (maybe a potential destination). I had him pegged for 25-100 and if that comes with .300+ I'd like to know how small the league is where that's not useful enough!

8th best 3B eligible player in my league, 16th best OF eligible, 34th best hitter overall YTD.