IlliniGuy76

Willson Contreras 2018 Outlook

Willson Contreras during the just concluded Cubs Convention stated that he thinks he can be the best catcher in the game - above Yadi and Buster Posey.

He may not be far fetched.  He certainly has the Gold Glove potential.  He was hurt for a good chunk of the year.  In his first full year in the Majors - with only 377 at-bats- he hit 21 homers and drove in 74 & had a .356 OBP.  It's not crazy, at all, to think the guy has a chance to hit 30/110 in the not too distant future & may even have a healthy uptick in OBP as well.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

He was on an absolute tear last year for a while before he got hurt, and he was a joy to own once he got rolling. Who knows how great his line would have been if it wasn't for the injury derailing him when he was so hot? I don't think his statement is too far-fetched either, and I love the confidence.

Love him, especially because he should chip in 10 steals so even if he doesn't hit 30, he's still going to be number 2 or 3 health permitting.

Yep.  I am looking forward to see what he can do over a full season.  I don't think his hitting 30 HR's with a BA around .280 isn't too far fetched.

Edited by Trader Mac

46 minutes ago, Trader Mac said:

Yep.  I am looking forward to see what he can do over a full season.  I don't think his hitting 30 HR's with a BA around .280 isn't too far fetched.

I don’t think that meant what you didn’t mean it to mean :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's already the #1 catcher in real life, imo. I think he can easily become number #1 in FBB, but it's going to depend on if Sanchez can continue to be a great HR/BA catcher.

He just went at 6.7 (57 overall) in our 10-team 5x5 OBP mock.  I think that's a reach in a shallow one-catcher league, but in 12+ team, 2-C leagues, I think top 45-50 is reasonable.

8 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

He just went at 6.7 (57 overall) in our 10-team 5x5 OBP mock.  I think that's a reach in a shallow one-catcher league, but in 12+ team, 2-C leagues, I think top 45-50 is reasonable.

Yeah I wasn't overly excited taking Contreras there I just felt that getting  a top 3 C even in a shallow league has some merit. I will say I dont think we have seen his ceiling yet - maybe it was an overpay but I think there is a reasonable chance he returns value there even in shallow formats. 

Maddon hit him 4th midseason onward, right behind obp machine Anthony Rizzo.

He could very well eclipse 90 RBIs in 400ish at bats

I don't think Contreras is that far off the top of that list, Posey still hits for average and a good obp but the power has been on the decline the past 3-4 seasons. At this point Yadi is still a solid catcher, 18 hr's last season seems like a fluke vs reality looking at his hr totals since 2013. I think Contreras is a steady bet for 20 hrs 80-90 rbis and an obp between 360-375...Sanchez is going to hit for more power but Contreras is a more well rounded catcher imo

Edited by ArlCon17
typo

9 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Cleanup after Rizzo and Bryant. 

Not a bad spot to be. 

Didn't know that was confirmed.

Awesome!

I remember last year when I finally got frustrated with a similar early season cold stretch and benched him on the wrong week — he went off for 3 HRs and a pile of RBIs and kept it going. Patience.

I watched him foul off a 2-0 middle fastball yesterday in game that the Cubs scored 15 runs. He then proceeded to strike out. He looks lost and uncomfortable. Time to buy is now.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed crude language

I usually don't get a catcher until late in the draft but this year I acted on a mancrush and nabbed Contreras relatively early. I think I'll be reverting back to my previous strategy next year.

14 minutes ago, kaesr said:

I usually don't get a catcher until late in the draft but this year I acted on a mancrush and nabbed Contreras relatively early. I think I'll be reverting back to my previous strategy next year.

This is exactly how I feel, I jumped the gun early on a catcher this year because I thought contreas would deliver but I'm going back to my strategy of finding  waiver wire catchers from now on. 

Edited by ShowTyme

He's a bust so far, could have gotten Perez or Realmuto later, i wasted an earlier pick on a catcher than i should have

Like the rest of you I wanted him, if I couldn’t get Sanchez. However, I’m not going to worry just yet. The kid can hit. And I think he will. 

Yeah, gotta let it warm up... chicago has been terribly cold. I still have faith in Contreras, a lot of it. 

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

He's a bust so far, could have gotten Perez or Realmuto later, i wasted an earlier pick on a catcher than i should have

Little early for that assessment. It's still April.

You paid a premium for a guy who will play most nights and produce while doing it. He's giving you the ABs, the production will come.