IlliniGuy76

Willson Contreras 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Not only is he not hitting AT ALL (0 for the week), and getting dropped to the 7th spot, but is it just me or has he been sitting more often recently than he was earlier in the season? Out of the lineup again tonight.

4 bombs and 23 RBI on the season despite being healthy all year, what a freakin bust this guy has been for where we took him (standard redraft ADP around 100). SMH!

His standard redraft ADP was actually closer to 60. Outside of that 3-4 day stretch (incidentally when I was playing him in H2H), he has been extremely disappointing. 

I'm about to drop this bum [Removed Cool Story] or maybe just stream an extra pitcher. It's been long enough. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

The clock is definitely ticking on him. 6 runs, 0 HR, and 3 RBI the last 30 days. 3 RBI!!!! The only thing keeping him in the top 10 catchers on ESPN is due to his two steals with most other catchers having 0. The only reason to hang onto him at this point is out of fear of an opponent grabbing him and seeing him blow up. Player rater last 7, 15, and 30= -4.79, -4.83, and -1.40.  I'm afraid to drop him due to him being young and probably able to rebound but just not sure if it's going to happen this year. 

[ Several comments removed.  "Tempted to drop for Player X" type posts are Bench Coach fodder, as they're specific to who's on your wire, your roster configuration, etc. This policy is described in detail in the Posting Rules thread at the top of this forum. This thread needs to be focused on Contreras' fantasy outlook, not your specific team situation, or who you're considering picking up. ]

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, mmcc1029 said:

Hold up...am I hallucinating!??? Finally yewwww

Was he this bad at this point last season - dude has explosive offensive potential but he's been atrocious for a month now!!!

I have Contreras, Rizzo, and Bryant and all 3 of them are not even close to their career numbers...has something changed in the organization from prior years that might have affected their batting?  I chalked up the early season to the horrific weather at Wrigley but it just keeps going.

July was when he really started to take off last year 13R 7HR 19 RBI's .321 average. Let's see what July has in store this year. 

you could have gotten the same numbers from, Barnhart, Cervelli, or Gomes who you could have gotten off the WW

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

you could have gotten the same numbers from, Barnhart, Cervelli, or Gomes who you could have gotten off the WW

Yeah my future predicting skills have been on the fritz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShowTyme said:

Next year I am definitely not drafting a catcher within the first 20 rounds, I've learned my lesson. 

Try having this dude and Sanchez in 9/10 leagues. CSB, I know. But the lesson is never draft catchers. Like, ever. We all should’ve known better. This guy and Gary looked like the only two locks on the board to start the season. Gary was flirting w 2nd/3rd round value and Contreras 4th/5th because, you know, they were the only two catchers you could count on. Like havin Gronk, I believe I stupidly said.  Ugh. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Try having this dude and Sanchez in 9/10 leagues. CSB, I know. But the lesson is never draft catchers. Like, ever. We all should’ve known better. This guy and Gary looked like the only two locks on the board to start the season. Gary was flirting w 2nd/3rd round value and Contreras 4th/5th because, you know, they were the only two catchers you could count on. Like havin Gronk, I believe I stupidly said.  Ugh. 

Plus 1! Burned my 6th pick. Never again. PUNT CATCHERS.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, mmcc1029 said:

Hold up...am I hallucinating!??? Finally yewwww

heating up??

Don't some of his underlying numbers show he's actually not got a bad approach, he's just not had luck in racking up counting stats?  Like his .360 OBP and 55 K/27 BB?

It sounds like the turmoil in Venezuela is weighing on him and I wonder if that's an issue and if its effect on him is going to persist.

I think maybe he's just a streaky hitter. Over his first two full time seasons – he's shown that he's capable of extreme highs and lows.

43 minutes ago, Squeeealer said:

Don't some of his underlying numbers show he's actually not got a bad approach, he's just not had luck in racking up counting stats?  Like his .360 OBP and 55 K/27 BB?

His approach seems to be similar to Kris Bryant, more focused on contact and not selling out for power. I wish he’d go for more power though. 

Yesterday was the first time he drove in multiple runs since May 12th.  So here is to hoping the streak is starting!

3 days off and he’s sitting against Martinez whom he has a 1.071 OPS against.

I’m done.

Edited by FUM
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

he sits way too much for an 'elite' catcher!!! And he has the best OPS against Martinez on the Cubs and this is the game they choose to sit him as the poster above said.  Makes zero sense.

This dude basically has 2 1 week hot streaks  this year.  And his numbers are still underwhelming.  Not quite a draft bust but def overvalued by many going into draft day.

Edited by JetsAwesome

They're lining him up to play all the afternoon games this week... you know the whole 'day game after a night game' thing for catchers. But it might be a good thing, he's one of these guys with sizeable Day/Night splits this year:

Slugging .543 in the day (39 games), and only .365 at night (43 games).

Last season it was .595 vs .421

• Like 2