osb_tensor

Rafael Devers 2018 Outlook

Also what can fool the players are cortisone shots.  Smoke and mirrors.  They provide no healing, just masking tape so to speak.  

Is he worth holding on to in 12 team redraft leagues? Scared that the addition of kinsler cuts into his PT.. also this injury seems like it could linger 

2 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Is he worth holding on to in 12 team redraft leagues? Scared that the addition of kinsler cuts into his PT.. also this injury seems like it could linger 

I wouldn't even hold him in a 15-team redraft, tbh. 

It's not going to happen this year.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 5:33 PM, Olliemets said:

Yeah i'm not buying minor injury. Hamstrings linger for a very long time. I hurt mine 2 years ago and still feel it when stretching. I don't know if it'll affect his hitting - but he wasn't doing much anyway.

I'm going to keep him though unless he comes off the DL and plays only 3 days a week.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:33 PM, Olliemets said:

No he is a major power guy and he will be back at 3B when he recovers and he seems to get really crucial hits.  Much better than having Nunez in the line-up.  But like mentioned above these things can linger.

He played last night for the Lowell Spinners and went 1-4 with a two run home run. Not sure when he's due back but I had no idea until this morning that he would be paying in rehab games yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

He played last night for the Lowell Spinners and went 1-4 with a two run home run. Not sure when he's due back but I had no idea until this morning that he would be paying in rehab games yet. 

Looks like we is flying to Toronto and expects to be activated and start Wednesday's game.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2018/08/rafael_devers_injury_boston_re_4.html

• Like 2

Back in the lineup tonight. Batting 8th.

He's having a hell of a game so far. 2-2 with a walk, home run, 2 runs and 2 RBIs. 

CSB - [Removed.  Cut it out.]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Of course he did. Guy could barely hit .230 when healthy. Why wouldn't he hit a 2-run homer the first day off the DL.

3 hours ago, Bravesfan155 said:

Of course he did. Guy could barely hit .230 when healthy. Why wouldn't he hit a 2-run homer the first day off the DL.

Oh he could always hit from the get go.  It was command of the strike zone that was missing thus all the K's and so little walks.  His weakness is chasing balls up and outside for some weird reason since most left-handed batters don't even like a high, outside strike let alone a ball a foot off the plate.

But he said he spent a lot of the time on the DL going over videos and looking at his good ABs vs his bad ones and he thought he has learned more as a result.  Also the coaches as well as JD Martinez have been working with him a lot and the other guys have been trying to help him too.  He is only 21.  He will be a monster when he grows up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

in a redraft, drop if you have a better option. he is definitely streamable.

in a keeper, I recommend a buy low if you can snag him with a well-playing veteran etc...

as all prospects do, some may have doubts on this guy.

but I still see him as a perennial all-star when everything is said and done.

defense is definitely an issue but I think he can work it out, eventually.

the talent is there for sure, no doubt.

It’s very possible he goes on a nice run for the final two months of the season. He did it last year when he was called up. There was a blurb somewhere that I just read earlier in the week that he spent a lot of time with JD during his DL stintjust watcjing film and dissecting his at bats. It talked about how they were able to point out a couple flaws in his approach throughout the season this year. 

Guys - can we stop posting the "JD worked with him on his swing" tidbit. It's been posted at least 4 times.

2 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

Guys - can we stop posting the "JD worked with him on his swing" tidbit. It's been posted at least 4 times.

I don’t see anything wrong with it. If it bothers you ignore it. If you ask me it’s meaningful considering what JD is doing with the bat this year and his dedication to his craft. Also, after that article came out Devers was called up and in his first game back he went 2-4 with a double and a home run. So it’s not ludicrous to think there is some merit behind working with him on his approach and swing at the plate. Will it carry over and continue the rest of the year? We don’t know but I think it’s worth mentioning especially after his performance Wednesday night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

I don’t see anything wrong with it. If it bothers you ignore it. If you ask me it’s meaningful considering what JD is doing with the bat this year and his dedication to his craft. Also, after that article came out Devers was called up and in his first game back he went 2-4 with a double and a home run. So it’s not ludicrous to think there is some merit behind working with him on his approach and swing at the plate. Will it carry over and continue the rest of the year? We don’t know but I think it’s worth mentioning especially after his performance Wednesday night. 

I don't see anything wrong with you going back and reading the prior posts before posting. Teammates helping each other is really not news worthy - it happens on every team every day. It only made headlines because it's Boston and they need to write something everyday. 

3 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

I don't see anything wrong with you going back and reading the prior posts before posting. Teammates helping each other is really not news worthy - it happens on every team every day. It only made headlines because it's Boston and they need to write something everyday. 

I have read every post in this thread and know it was mentioned earlier in the season. I was simply trying to give some insight into recent events between the two figuring something out with Dever's swing while he was on the DL. If that's not fantasy relevant to you or annoys you for some reason I'll tell you again to just ignore it.

• Like 2

I dropped him before the DL stint. Will he be a good player? Maybe, if he learns how to take pitches. But it certainly not happening this year. Especially with a hamstring - that's going to take the offseason to get right.