DerrickHenrysCleats

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Had this bum last season, never again.

What makes the situation worst is Carr running around the pocket scared, feeling pressure that isn't there, then throwing the ball away.  Both look like a total bust, certainly together anyway.

Edited by Red Dog
  • Haha 1

So, how many years are we going to say "this will be the breakout year".

It's 3 in a row now and it's been wrong every time.  When will this guy stop getting drafted like he can put up fantasy numbers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/7/2018 at 3:55 PM, Sternes said:

Also:

Of his 680 yards, 30.9% came in one game where he got 210, along with his 2 TD.  He won you that week, performed decently in a couple others, and crushed your spirits the rest of the season.

Even scarier, his only other +100 yard game...came in week 17, along with another TD.  Which is another 16.9% of his yardage for the year.

47.8% of his total either came in one game, or for 99% of leagues, in a week it didn't count.

If you are in PPR, the only week he went over 5 catches was that monster 200 yard game, where he got 11 catches. 22.9% of his catches for the season came in that game.

6 minutes ago, Sternes said:

giphy.gif

Towards that big game he had last year, he probably didn't even win many owners that week. That's because he had been SO bad prior to that game. Leading up to Week 7, Amari had 9 catches for 51 yards and 0 TD's...across his past 4 games! So I would say a lot of owners had him on their bench, unless they were in very deep leagues. I actually did have him playing in the one league I had him, but that's only because it was a 16-team league and I had no other options.

So between Week 7 and Week 17 (which most fantasy players don't compete in as you mention), he came extremely close to giving many fantasy owners as close to nothing as possible, for an entire season. 

1 minute ago, Kyle87 said:

So, how many years are we going to say "this will be the breakout year".

It's 3 in a row now and it's been wrong every time.  When will this guy stop getting drafted like he can put up fantasy numbers.

He is the DeVante Parker of the West Coast (a 1st round WR who 'looks' like he should dominate...but doesn't). 

Too much, a mid round pick at most.  He's basically unstartable against any team that can generate a good pass rush.

On 8/7/2018 at 3:42 PM, J.T. Marlin said:

Maybe the most polarizing player for me to rank for 2018. 

Pro's

First 2 seasons were really solid (not spectacular) but he was far from a bust.

Talented, still only 24, and the Raiders used a high draft pick to acquire him (so they are definitely not giving up on him yet).

His biggest comp for targets the last 2 seasons (Crabtree) is gone and been replaced by MBryant (bad showing so far in camp and may be suspended again) and 33 year old Jordy who looked washed in GB last year.

His 11 catch, 210 yard, 2TD performance against KC was epic (and I'm pretty sure he dropped another long TD that would have made it even bigger).

Gruden has a history of peppering his WR1 with a lot of targets and has constantly talked up Amari this offseason.

Con's

Last year was mostly dreadful.

Unbelievably he had 5 games where he was held to under 10 receiving yards!!

Was held to under 70 rec yard in 12 of his 14 games played.  This is really scary and the thing that has me most doubting his 2018 prospects.

At this point, I am leaning towards chalking up 2017 to a fluke/lost season due to injuries and bad play-calling and likely going to bet on the talent and change of coaching staff in OAK.  Still hard to fathom though that this guy put up such duds last season (playing hurt or not). 

On 8/7/2018 at 3:55 PM, Sternes said:

Also:

Of his 680 yards, 30.9% came in one game where he got 210, along with his 2 TD.  He won you that week, performed decently in a couple others, and crushed your spirits the rest of the season.

Even scarier, his only other +100 yard game...came in week 17, along with another TD.  Which is another 16.9% of his yardage for the year.

47.8% of his total either came in one game, or for 99% of leagues, in a week it didn't count.

If you are in PPR, the only week he went over 5 catches was that monster 200 yard game, where he got 11 catches. 22.9% of his catches for the season came in that game.

14 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Ha, I was looking at his game log today and noticed a similar stat...he has 33 or less receiving yards in 9 of his last 15 games.

In other words, ALL games he's played in during 2017 & 2018 (he missed 2 games last year). 

Damn. You guys are/were on it. These are eye opening stats. Geez. I felt compelled to quote all of this stuff. Basically, everything I guess that we need to know about Coop. Good stuff fellas.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corleone said:

He is the DeVante Parker of the West Coast (a 1st round WR who 'looks' like he should dominate...but doesn't). 

Side note...I was just looking at the 1st round WR's from the 2015 draft...

Amari Cooper (pick #4)

Kevin White (pick #7)

DeVante Parker (pick #14)

Nelson Agholor (pick #20)

Breshad Perriman (pick #26)

Phillip Dorsett (pick #29)

Yikes!! :blink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I don't understand how he can be this bad. 

He can obviously play in this league - he did it his first two seasons in the league so it's not like defences are all of a sudden making adjustments to him. 

How does he draw only 3 targets being the #1 receiver?

He’s droppable. 5 games last year where he couldn’t muster 10 yards receiving. 10 yards! Picking up where he left off last season.

Someday, Sammy Watkins and Cooper will end up on the same team. And FF people will be like....they both can’t suck, can they?

and the answer will be yes. Yes they can.

if there is someone in your league who thinks Cooper can turn it around, I’d unload him.

• Like 1

I'm still a believer in his talent, just not his QB.

Derek Carr stinks.

Having said that, I'm not selling him and have enough depth not to worry about him. Jon Gruden must know that he should be force fed the ball this season if they want any chance of winning. Build up his confidence, the guy can get open.

Edited by n4sa

I just went and watched the 1st quarter coaches film on GP.  I counted 2 instances where Carr could have easily got him the ball 10+ yards down the field.  He also had a 16 yard completion taken away by a holding penalty. 

Let's put it this way...it's not like Amari isn't getting open. 

Edited by PolarBear

36 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Amari Cooper (pick #4)

Kevin White (pick #7)

Image result for auston matthews gif

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Amari Cooper (pick #4)

Kevin White (pick #7)

Side note to the side note...the 1st round WR class of 2016 says I see your mediocrity and I raise!

Corey Coleman (pick #15)
Will Fuller (pick #21)
Josh Doctson (pick #22)

Laquon Treadwell (pick #23)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Side note to the side note...the 1st round WR class of 2016 says I see your mediocrity and I raise!

Corey Coleman (pick #15)
Will Fuller (pick #21)
Josh Doctson (pick #22)

Laquon Treadwell (pick #23)

That’s what happens when you let Browns get the ball rolling. It ruins everything in its path. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Dog said:

Had this bum last season, never again.

What makes the situation worst is Carr running around the pocket scared, feeling pressure that isn't there, then throwing the ball away.  Both look like a total bust, certainly together anyway.

Yah, me too. And I’m not taking pleasure in others misery, but just wanted to see what it felt like to click on this thread with no longer having the burden of owning him. 

People need to relax:

1 hour ago, Corleone said:

1. This is an awful comparison.  Amari was historically productive his first two seasons and has had one bad season + one bad game.

2.  He just went up against probably the 2nd or 3rd hardest matchups for WRs in the NFL and the Raiders game plan was clearly to avoid throwing at Peters and Talib.

1 minute ago, Chwf3rd said:

People need to relax:

1. This is an awful comparison.  Amari was historically productive his first two seasons and has had one bad season + one bad game.

2.  He just went up against probably the 2nd or 3rd hardest matchups for WRs in the NFL and the Raiders game plan was clearly to avoid throwing at Peters and Talib.

I will be waiting for the next excuse after his game against Denver.

that altitude brah, ya know?

• Haha 1