DerrickHenrysCleats

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

20 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Cooper's ledger includes good and bad stats, according to ESPN Stats & Info.

The good:

• He's catching 73 percent of his targets this season.

• In the two games during which he was targeted at least 10 times, he had at least 100 yards receiving.

• He's been used inside and outside with 31 percent of his routes coming from the slot.

•  

The bad:

• He's only been targeted on 15 percent of his routes this season, which is the fourth-fewest for receivers with a minimum of 30 targets. He's had just two targets on 28 routes in his last two games.

• His 22 career drops are third-most since he entered the league in 2015.

• He only has six targets of 15-plus yards this season, which is tied for 83rd in the league.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4767779/cowboys-admit-wr-committee-was-a-mistake-hope-cooper-is-a-no-1

Good stuff.  Some more stats.

Another outlet has it at 1 drop, but 2 by PFF.

From earlier in the year.

• Like 3

Getting traded just about anywhere was the best thing that could have happened for Cooper. I don't get the doom and gloom. 

Definitely going to be wait/see about using him - first game will be week 9 Monday Night v TN.

This is funny this guy must be posting in this thread or lurking. . . :lol:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Something is wrong in the NFL when Josh gordon trades to the SB regulars pats for a 5th and Amari was getting a min 2nd but traded for a 1st. .. . 

and Josh stated that Dallas was ONE OF HIS TOP CHOICES?

L

E

V

E

A

G

E

Brown said they were going to cut him. Raiders played hard ball. Also being 1 strike away doesn't help your cause.  This is why the Browns are the Browns.

• Like 1

Jerry Jones was always going to make this laughable move.  He loves a shiny toy and to make a big splash.

4 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Apparently fantasy community too. He cleared waivers when I dropped him. He got snagged as soon as rumors came out yesterday that a trade was imminent.

My league ignored hm; he remained in the FA pool. I basically had the pickup waiting to go as soon as the Lynch IR news came out. I figure his worth to be something higher than the cost of nothing to get him, which was what I basically spent, but I doubt he leaves my bench unless he really blows up. We shall see I guess.

I can't imagine anyone but the deepest of leagues rolling him out in his first games.

Edited by altmin

He might see more consistent targets than he did in OAK, but that isn't saying much.  Dak has been far from impressive in understanding what defenses are doing to him and reading the field (Brett Kollmann has a great video breakdown of Dak on Youtube thats worth a watch), on top of that he spreads the ball around.  Dallas is still a run-first team and finally have a very good defense to keep games close, so they wont find themselves down 2-3 scores in extended desperation catchup mode very often.

Definitely feels like a Jerry Jones move attempting to make a splash, as other posters have noted.

2 hours ago, altmin said:

My league ignored hm; he remained in the FA pool. I basically had the pickup waiting to go as soon as the Lynch IR news came out. I figure his worth to be something higher than the cost of nothing to get him, which was what I basically spent, but I doubt he leaves my bench unless he really blows up. We shall see I guess.

I can't imagine anyone but the deepest of leagues rolling him out in his first games.

Sometimes, being stupid is fun. B)

14 hours ago, Newtown said:

The Colts receivers, outside of Hilton, have problems with drops. The last thing they need is Amari Cooper: drop king of the NFL.

giphy.gif

Excellent highlight...except that’s James Jones wearing no. 89. 

• Haha 6

I don't understand why anyone would be down on the situation. The Raiders were obviously not using him  so there is really nowhere to go but up for him. Sure Dallas is not the "ideal" landing spot but it could've been much worse, like if he went to the Bills. 

I'm actually surprised the Raiders got a 1st round pick for him. For a year where that franchise has been rather bumbling with questionable moves this is actually an excellent move by them.

• Like 3

yes we all know how bad this guy has been but let's get back to Fantasy Football 101 here: targets targets targets.  Cowboys wouldn't spend a 1st round on him to be part of the currently stupid WR committee they have going on now. Don't care how bad he is, he's going to get targets. He can blow up given week too cuz' he can be that good. If you can pick him up from WW or for some very low cost, go for it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Digitalpower35 said:

yes we all know how bad this guy has been but let's get back to Fantasy Football 101 here: targets targets targets.  Cowboys wouldn't spend a 1st round on him to be part of the currently stupid WR committee they have going on now. Don't care how bad he is, he's going to get targets. He can blow up given week too cuz' he can be that good. If you can pick him up from WW or for some very low cost, go for it.

Are you sure? Have you seen the Dallas coaching staff and Jerry?

• Haha 1

I just see all these comments about how they spent a 1st round pick on him so they have to involve him. Cooks was more involved for the Patriots and with the Rams, both better teams and offenses, but they also didn't or haven't gone out of their way to make him a focal point in their offenses. I remember fans thinking Cooks was going to be Randy Moss with Brady, when he just came from Brees. At least he hasn't been like Amari level bad though.

Ajayi was traded for last season and wasn't made into the work horse feature back. Teams tend to not change their schemes or what they have been doing just because the personnel changes. You don't see the Patriots force feeding Gordon. They worked him in slowly and he is just another cog in NE.

Amari is a sell high for me. And luckily I have 4 or 5 Cowboy fans in my league.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, devaster said:

Are you sure? Have you seen the Dallas coaching staff and Jerry?

Jerrah forced the coaches to play RoyWill after trading a 1st rounder for him ( wasnt it a 2nd round pick as well too? ) 

Jerrah will want Amari on the field and The Clapper follows his orders. 

38 minutes ago, Digitalpower35 said:

I'm curious where you came up with this idea of a Dallas committee approach.  As far as I've seen they're primarily using only 3 receivers (Hurns, Gallup and Beasley), and snap counts back up those findings.  Damn near every team in the league has their top 2 WRs at 75%+ snap counts with a 3rd one at 50%+ - which is right about where those 3 guys are.  The fact that the receivers are perceived as a "committee" in the eyes of some fantasy owners has more to do with Dak as a player and not ever being a QB that peppers a single WR with targets week in and week out than it does about the WRs themselves, imo.  I think Dak suffers from of the same things Carr does when it comes to reading and understanding defenses, which is why I think they're happy to let Dak run like they have recently, because if they have to completely depend on Dak using his mind to break down defenses, their offense is going to stagnate quite frequently like it was prior to that, especially without an elite OL to rely on any more.  Feels like a lateral move from purely a QB standpoint to me.

7 minutes ago, devaster said:

I just see all these comments about how they spent a 1st round pick on him so they have to involve him. Cooks was more involved for the Patriots and with the Rams, both better teams and offenses, but they also didn't or haven't gone out of their way to make him a focal point in their offenses. I remember fans thinking Cooks was going to be Randy Moss with Brady, when he just came from Brees. At least he hasn't been like Amari level bad though.

Have seen you make this point before and I couldn't agree more.  Teams don't want to completely change what they do for any non-QB.  They may add a few specialized plays or wrinkles, but no team is going to completely re-write their playcalling midseason.  Even OCs that take over for fired ones in-season still largely call from the same playbook.  Dak has been in the league long enough that we have a good idea of what he is, even with Dez Bryant in his prime (that was very productive with Romo) he had to go out of his way to give him targets. 

I understand being optimistic and as fantasy owners we want to see the best possible scenario unfold for our players.  I don't even own him (any more), and I'd love for Amari to take off in Dallas, but all I'm saying is don't be surprised if he averages 3-6 targets a week, because there's more than enough history and evidence on Dak in this offense to support that outcome.

• Like 1

How is this guy worth a 1st round pick...it's T-Rich all over again

7 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Has a player ever had back to back byes like Coop?

No but when the Browns returned to the NFL in 1999 there were bye weeks each week until 2002 when the Texans joined the league

Edited by next big thing cp84

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said a first-round pick is "what a player like [Amari Cooper] costs."

Paying a first-round pick for a No. 1 receiver is not an issue, but paying it for a player who has struggled to consistently produce and will require a big extension in the near future is more dubious. Either way, Cooper is a Cowboy now, and he will join the team on Tuesday to start getting ready for what should be his debut in Week 9.
Oct 23 - 9:50 AM

I don't understand the doom and gloom. Cooper was never part of the game plan in Oakland, and went games where he say 1-2 targets. The Oakland offense consists of dump offs to the RB and TE. By now, Cooper was likely not in your starting lineup anyway, so he can only go up from here in value. 

This situation is definitely better than Carr the question is how much. People have the right to be optimistic but I don’t  expect him to return wr1 value maybe he can be a consistent wr2/3 later in the season 

Edited by SonataArctica