DerrickHenrysCleats

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I think they're gonna feed him tonight. Jerry probably told Garrett to get him the ball as much as possible. At a 1st round cost, I'd get him going as much as possible.

3 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Cooper will go over the 100 yard mark tonight, book it!

Easily 

Damn got the reception total right but was off by about 30 yards in the yards total. He is going to targeted in this offense. However, the passing volume and the arm talent of Dak will hinder him from WR1 status. I think he can be a solid WR2 going forward.

8 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Damn got the reception total right but was off by about 30 yards in the yards total. He is going to targeted in this offense. However, the passing volume and the arm talent of Dak will hinder him from WR1 status. I think he can be a solid WR2 going forward.

Was super happy with Amari's usage and body language for his first game as a Cowboy.  Yes the Cowboys suck and will probably have a losing record this year, but Amari seems excited to play there and he was working hard getting open.

I imagine he and Dak will get more comfortable and from what I could tell Amari was NOT in for all of the 2 min offense drive ( probably because he is not fully fully up to speed) .  Considering he would have literal 1 catch 1 target stinkers after playing 90% of snaps in Oakland, this trade is a boon for fantasy owners who stuck with him after draft night.  He probably won't return the value we drafted him for but he looks way better than many WR3s out there who are more boom/bust. Amari is the #1 passing option on this team and could potentially boom here and there if he breaks a long one.  If he can somehow avg around 5-7 catches and 60 yards .5 TDs rest of way that's solid.  Also if anyone has looked at the Cowboys schedule its BRUTAL.  They have no other option but to try to score some points to stay in some of these games. Atlanta, NO, Philly are all coming down the pipe and Dallas will be losing by 30+ pts if they don't figure out how to score more than 2 TDs.  Amari should have a big role in any offensive explosion the Cowboys find themselves in. 

Edited by Zak0221

That has to be viewed as extremely positive for a first game in a new offense. The offensive line looked pretty bad and Dak's nothing special, but the Dallas schedule is looking pretty sweet for the passing game. If they keep Cooper at between 8-10 targets per game it should be a pretty good finish to the season.

So. . .

Upside:

1. 8 targets first game new offense 

2. red zone looks

Downside:

1. Dak is the QB

2. Dallas runs few plays

Zeke never got going and the defense in the 1st qtr really made it easy for Amari to score

Conclusion:

So I may have been a bit premature dropping him after the trade announcement. . .may have but  after 1 game definitely looks like it

if the 8 targets a game is consistent then Amari is a wr1 with his ability to create separation and run after the catch

• Like 1

Did that many people drop him after the trade?  I could have seen dropping him before the trade because he was sucking but if you held on this long dropping him before you saw one game seems foolish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Did that many people drop him after the trade?  I could have seen dropping him before the trade because he was sucking but if you held on this long dropping him before you saw one game seems foolish.

I imagine most probably dropped after he gave people a goose egg stinker after defying his 'every other' week success trend. 

17 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

My prediction:

9 targets, 5 catches, 53 yards, and a TD.  

We have a winner! Spot on almost!

• Like 1

Dak sucks, but at least Amari is on the WR3 radar now. Decent depth.

2 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

I imagine most probably dropped after he gave people a goose egg stinker after defying his 'every other' week success trend. 

And SOOO many others had their finger on the trigger just waiting for a non-trade.  Carr just decided to stop looking his way after an end zone gaf during Cleveland game

29 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Amari should have a big role in any offensive explosion the Cowboys find themselves in. 

I know what you are trying to say but offensive explosion and Cowboys shouldn't be in the same sentence haha. They are 27th in yards/g and 26th and pts/g. 

12 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I know what you are trying to say but offensive explosion and Cowboys shouldn't be in the same sentence haha. They are 27th in yards/g and 26th and pts/g. 

Right, plenty of room to grow! An explosion for them would be sliding those to 23rd and 21st rankings! lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyle87 said:

because some play the probability game

1. the probability of him succeeding in a system with a QB that knows him is higher than one that doesnt

2. statistically midesason wr trades rarely work production wise because of new QB-offense-playbook-etc

3. Dallas is an run first offense that passes less than the Raiders and Dak is not actually an upgrade to Carr as a QB. he doesnt make deep throws, preferring to lean on his slot wr

4. there was an additional bye week which means an additional opportunity cost to  grab a sutton-keke-doyle-fitzpatrick-trequan-MVS and a bunch of other waiver guys

5. it's week 9 half the fantasy season over. . some people have to make roster moves to win games so can't afford to wait for a player to work out 

Lots of reasons to drop

I'm not sure what to think here.  The targets and td were nice, but really hard to see upside with how terrible Dak and cowboys looked. 

3 minutes ago, idtran said:

I'm not sure what to think here.  The targets and td were nice, but really hard to see upside with how terrible Dak and cowboys looked. 

Agreed. Fortunately the schedule is pretty cake over the next 5 weeks.

Phi, Atl, Was, NO, Phi

All bottom ten against the pass and pretty much all of those should be pass heavy for Dallas.

10 minutes ago, idtran said:

You fail to see any upside while glossing over the two statistics that reveal he has some upside in Dallas.

Amari is a WR3 with WR2 upside now while he was nearly droppable/ forever benched in Oak.

praise Jerrah

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

because some play the probability game

1. the probability of him succeeding in a system with a QB that knows him is higher than one that doesnt

2. statistically midesason wr trades rarely work production wise because of new QB-offense-playbook-etc

3. Dallas is an run first offense that passes less than the Raiders and Dak is not actually an upgrade to Carr as a QB. he doesnt make deep throws, preferring to lean on his slot wr

4. there was an additional bye week which means an additional opportunity cost to  grab a sutton-keke-doyle-fitzpatrick-trequan-MVS and a bunch of other waiver guys

5. it's week 9 half the fantasy season over. . some people have to make roster moves to win games so can't afford to wait for a player to work out 

Lots of reasons to drop

I didn’t watch the game. But 6 catches for 60 yards and a TD should make him rosterable in 12 team leagues. 

I’m pretty ok with him as a matchup friendly flex or low end WR2.