DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

We survived with a TD.  Let's be thankful he didn't aggravate the hammy on the wet field.

Didn’t get to watch the game but Is Haley treating Landry like ab? Either that or Tyrod really likes Landry and we might need mayfield to get the Gordon train rolling.

10 hours ago, Sternes said:

I'm amused by everyone ignoring all the warning signs and still starting him.  Salvaged the day on his only catch.  You guys got lucky.

If Tyrod didn't underthrow him he would have finished with 2 TDs for 60 something yards.

Gordon was targeted just 1 time prior to his spectacular game tying TD which came with 1:58 left in the 4th quarter. His 3rd and final target came with 23 seconds left. Here’s an idea for Hue and Haley moving forward (assuming they want to win a game).... ******** get the ball into your best player’s hands early and often even if it means force feeding him. Sure it might lead to some turnovers but you’re the Browns ... that’s what you do anyways. At least if you throw to Gordon you can at least say you tried. 

It’s not a hard concept to grasp. You gotta give your studs a chance to make a play. He should scratch that ... He better be getting a minimum of 10 targets a game moving forward. 

• Like 4

Hard to believe the Browns were serious about winning by not hardly targeting Gordon.

1 TD in traffic,  woulda coulda shoulda had another one but tyrod underthrew it for an interception.

35 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Gordon was targeted just 1 time prior to his spectacular game tying TD which came with 1:58 left in the 4th quarter. His 3rd and final target came with 23 seconds left. Here’s an idea for Hue and Haley moving forward (assuming they want to win a game).... ******** get the ball into your best player’s hands early and often even if it means force feeding him. Sure it might lead to some turnovers but you’re the Browns ... that’s what you do anyways. At least if you throw to Gordon you can at least say you tried. 

It’s not a hard concept to grasp. You gotta give your studs a chance to make a play. He should scratch that ... He better be getting a minimum of 10 targets a game moving forward. 

The biggest positive I took was that Gordon has his head screwed on straight. A boring game, bad weather and not targeted until the end of the 4th and the guy was focused enough to make that contested catch. That makes me feel a lot better about starting him moving forward.

I was only able to watch the game on nfl.com gamecast. For those able to actually watch the game, was Gordon getting separation while on the field? I know he may have had a long TD if Tyrod didn't underthrow (on the play that resulted in a pick) but other than that, how did he look?

Glad the day was salvaged with the TD but I'm not encouraged by his usage, by Tyrod's play, or by the amount of sacks that Tyrod and the O-line allowed.

59 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Whether it was punishment, injury concerns, or just the coach testing his attitude; it was clearly stated that Gordon wouldn't be starting or heavily involved today.  My take away was that Gordon handled it well, didn't see him doing anything stupid on the sidelines like yelling at coaches or QB.  He handled the lack of involvement well.  He wants to keep playing and I really really doubt the Browns coaching staff will just ignore him like that again.

All that being said you can't even be mad if you started him, I think this game was probably his floor for production.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

Anybody know how many snaps he played yesterday?

"Josh Gordon played 69-of-89 (78 percent) snaps Week 1 against the Steelers.

The Browns were reportedly planning to play Gordon "roughly 20 snaps," but those plans obviously changed. Gordon only saw three targets despite the playing time, but he made the work count, coming down with a 17-yard touchdown which tied the game in the fourth. With his role likely to grow, Gordon will be an upside WR3 next week against the Saints."

No idea he played that many snaps....how the F was he only targeted 3 times?? What the hell Tyrod?! What is wrong with you man??
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Whether it was punishment, injury concerns, or just the coach testing his attitude; it was clearly stated that Gordon wouldn't be starting or heavily involved today.  My take away was that Gordon handled it well, didn't see him doing anything stupid on the sidelines like yelling at coaches or QB.  He handled the lack of involvement well.  He wants to keep playing and I really really doubt the Browns coaching staff will just ignore him like that again.

All that being said you can't even be mad if you started him, I think this game was probably his floor for production.

A team that hasn’t won a game since Dec 24, 2016 decides to be overly conservative when they have a game changer readily available.  3 targets with 2 of them coming in the final 2 minutes of regulation is absurd no matter how you slice it. It’s as if the Browns don’t like winning.

A win ... any win for the Browns would’ve been amazing. A victory in week 1 over the Steelers? That would’ve been extra huge in setting the tone for the season, boosting morale, building momentum moving forward and changing the losing culture. Well I guess technically they didn’t lose so there’s that at least. Do over next week 2. Throw to Gordon early/often and win game. 

15 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

"Josh Gordon played 69-of-89 (78 percent) snaps Week 1 against the Steelers.

The Browns were reportedly planning to play Gordon "roughly 20 snaps," but those plans obviously changed. Gordon only saw three targets despite the playing time, but he made the work count, coming down with a 17-yard touchdown which tied the game in the fourth. With his role likely to grow, Gordon will be an upside WR3 next week against the Saints."

No idea he played that many snaps....how the F was he only targeted 3 times?? What the hell Tyrod?! What is wrong with you man??

It is still hard to believe, but I imagine the coaching staff was serious about limiting his snaps and did not have any game-plans for him. Something about personnel led to him starting and playing so much? Hue expressed he was not happy about it. Odd situation. 

With a full week to prep, you have to be optimistic Gordon will be much more involved against NO. 

1 hour ago, Asian Sensation said:

They will force feed Landry and duke like always...they look at it his tie as a victory so decoy Gordon will be back next week

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

They will force feed Landry and duke like always...they look at it his tie as a victory so decoy Gordon will be back next week

I love your posts - just random emotional outbursts. Good stuff.

I don't think Tyrod will go 15/40 again next week. Landry's usage should stay about the same - that's the kind of player he is, and the Browns knew this when they signed him - and Gordon's will increase as he develops some chemistry with the QB. Even though it was a pick, that Taylor went back to Gordon for a jump ball after his TD is a good sign.

Btw, your profile pic - Zardoz?

Love that film

From my recollection he was actually targeted four times one of which drew a pass interference on Burns which is why I guess it didn’t count towards his total.

At the end of the day he came back on really short notice and with very limited time to practice.  Gordon owners, myself included, were fortunate to get the TD this week.  I do think we should temper expectations over the next couple of weeks but there's no reason he can't be a flex moving forward until he hits stride with his teammates.  I do think we underestimate how important time in the huddle with the starting QB is.  I'm starting to think Gordon is a WR2 overall this year but will have several weeks as a WR1 and could come on at the end of the season to be a league winner.  Caveat he does face Denver/Baltimore towards the end of season.  I just hope as a fourth round pick he's closer to the WR12 than the WR 24.  Also I think I'm already having trust issues with Tyrod Taylor although the offensive line played pretty well in pass protection.

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Hard to believe the Browns were serious about winning by not hardly targeting Gordon.

1 TD in traffic,  woulda coulda shoulda had another one but tyrod underthrew it for an interception.

Well....they almost won.

Just now, cnewbykkn said:

But didn't.

didn't lose either.  i agree they should get gordon the ball more but criticizing a game plan where they didn't get blown out doesn't make sense.  they were competitive doing what they did, which is a lot considering last year.