DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

If Gordon failed a drug test (or can't pass one in the near future), he's done for the season. I get that. 

What if he was just drunk? Would that trigger any league discipline? If not, that could explain why the Browns would ditch him and claim he "was not himself" when he came to work. 

10 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Blackmon was suspended indefinitely for violating the league's substance abuse policy and, although eligible, has never applied for reinstatement.

Gordon was also suspended several times, including indefinitely, but applied for and was granted reinstatement.  However, Gordon is still in the substance abuse protocol.  So the perception may be that Gordon has received several chances, Gordon has not given up like Blackmon did.

Gordon is on thin ice with the league, however.  If he has failed a drug test, he is going to be suspended for another year, minimum.  

Blackmon applied for reinstatement in 2015 but was denied by the league.

There is not going to be a move.  Sorry to disappoint you.  The Browns are LYING about why Josh Gordon is getting released...er...TRADED...er...released.

1 minute ago, LeeVanCleef said:

Blackmon applied for reinstatement in 2015 but was denied by the league.

That's right.  I forgot about that.  Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

1. I mean, this just isn’t true? 

2. How did this post get 4 likes?

3. I haven’t really been to jail since the 80s, just don’t check my file

1. me saying he hasn't "really played since 2013" was how I qualified it.  Really make you feel that much better that he's played in 10 games the last 4 years?

2. He did miss all of training camp for no apparent reason?

3. a player with his drug history was just released one game into the season and reports have come out that he's consistently tardy and showed up Saturday not acting like himself.  Do I need to connect the dots for you there?

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

There is not going to be a move.  Sorry to disappoint you.  The Browns are LYING about why Josh Gordon is getting released...er...TRADED...er...released.

I mean you were already wrong a few hours ago, I guess you might as well double down. 

6 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

If Gordon failed a drug test (or can't pass one in the near future), he's done for the season. I get that. 

What if he was just drunk? Would that trigger any league discipline? If not, that could explain why the Browns would ditch him and claim he "was not himself" when he came to work. 

In 2015 Gordon was suspended a year for failing an alcohol test as he was in the league substance abuse program.

Edited by simanium

1 minute ago, disasterisk said:

I mean you were already wrong a few hours ago, I guess you might as well double down. 

How was I wrong?  I surmised that there was more going on with Gordon than a hamstring issue.  It seems, perhaps, that I was right.

22 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

If your a Gordon owner you should be excited to see how this plays out

Ya man you should be totally excited that you wasted an early pick on a guy who is so irresponsible that he did something dumb enough yet again to get cut from the worst franchise in sports!

EXCITED!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, cs3 said:

Ya man you should be totally excited that you wasted an early pick on a guy who is so irresponsible that he did something dumb enough yet again to get cut from the worst franchise in sports!

EXCITED!!!

Pretty much.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

How was I wrong? 

Because you wrote this:

4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Don't worry, no teams are going to be picking him up.

1 minute ago, cs3 said:

EXCITED!!!

Well, I'm not excited, but I'm not sure everyone wasted an early pick (though I've seen the ADP number).  I got him in the 6th round in one league, and for 6 bucks in an auction.  Thought he was worth the risk at those prices.  Looking like I may have lost the gamble, but I'll hold him for a bit to see how it plays out.

3 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Ya man you should be totally excited that you wasted an early pick on a guy

dynasty leagues exist

I'm perplexed to all the folks saying he won't play, there won't be a move.

Then why are 5 teams contacting the Browns wanting to trade for him?

3 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

Problem now is that if Cleveland thinks there is a bidding war, they may just sit on him for a while to see what they can get.  

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

Problem now is that if Cleveland thinks there is a bidding war, they may just sit on him for a while to see what they can get.  

I think they just want him gone at this point

5 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

Where did you see 5 teams are contacting the Browns?  The Rotoworld blurb was just a guess on who might be interested in him.  The report from Schefter just said some calls.

1 minute ago, murraygd13 said:

Where did you see 5 teams are contacting the Browns?  The Rotoworld blurb was just a guess on who might be interested in him.  The report from Schefter just said some calls.

Ian Rapoport‏

@RapSheet 

The #Browns announced they are releasing Josh Gordon, but they may not get there. I’m told as many as five teams are researching possibly trading for Gordon. Cleveland has a market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cs3 said:

EXCITED!!!

We all know what happens if Gordon fails a drug test.  But, if the Browns are fielding calls then it’s a good chance that’s not the issue.

There’s a 50/50 chance Gordon’s situation improves.  Tyrod + Hue Jackson + Landry wasn’t a great situation for Gordon to prove himself.

I didn’t draft Gordon in the 4th round because the risk/reward was poor.  The numbers I came up with suggested limited upside for Gordon even if he stayed clean.

Now that there’s unlimited upside, and unlimited downside... it’s a lot more exciting.

Correction: Gordon hasn’t been cut yet.  All we know for certain is he won’t play this week.  A trade might be the most probable outcome...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tim14125 said:

I think they just want him gone at this point

You’re probably right.   I hope that’s the case so this thing can move on to whatever is next.   

11 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

Because you wrote this:

No teams will be picking up Josh Gordon.

I have not even remotely been proven wrong with regards to that statement as of right now.

I don't get all the hype around him going to New England. His best fits would be:

Carolina

Colts

Chiefs

Dallas would be awful fit. Dak sucks

• Like 1