DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

24 minutes ago, Josh GODon said:

And if his video shoot was not sanctioned or permitted by the team, why was it held at the Browns facility?  Are we to believe he snuck a video crew past security?

It could have been him not addressing the coach or gm and going around them.  Just pissing off the people that already didn't seem to want him around.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Josh GODon said:

And if his video shoot was not sanctioned or permitted by the team, why was it held at the Browns facility?  Are we to believe he snuck a video crew past security?

The approved shooting was for his Flash clothing line but the actual shoot seemed to be more of a hype video and he was doing a bunch of drills and athletic activity which caused the  hamstring pull; the team didnt expect that so they probablu felt they were deecived

“Gordon was granted permission by the Browns to conduct a photo shoot for his ‘Flash’ clothing line Friday evening, but instead, he was participating in the filming of what one source called a ‘hype video’ intended to be released as a social-media commercial,” Jackson wrote. “At least five other people were present as Gordon went through football-related drills, and after about 90 minutes of shooting Friday, the source said Gordon pulled up limping while running a 40-yard dash and grabbed at his hamstring.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/09/nfl-rumors-heres-how-josh-gordon-injured-hamstring-lost-browns-trust/

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DannyMcPot said:

I don't see the point in worrying about production, game scripts, learning playbooks, volume concerns etc. No one drafts Josh Gordon for safety. He is a complete dart throw lotto ticket. All owners need to hear is that he's off the Browns and with the Patriots. We weren't guaranteed anything on Cleveland so just enjoy the move away from the Factory of Sadness to a legit championship caliber organization with the best HC and QB of all time. His prospects for success have increased dramatically with the move alone in my book. 

Main thing to worry about for me is his anxiety issues. Anyone who's dealt with sobriety anxiety knows relapse is like the devil right around every corner. I give him crazy props on being clean and seeking mental counseling because that takes major courage and strength to face. You take a shot on Gordon because he's one of the most premier talents you've ever seen. He will win your league if he hits. If safety is more your thing I would trade him immediately because his value might never be higher right now. Otherwise, you hold onto Flash for dear life and accept the fact that you might go down with the ship. 

would not be surprised if he is assigned a body man to keep him company

8 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Breaking Down Josh Gordon’s Full Potential In Patriots’ Offense

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/09/breaking-down-josh-gordons-full-potential-in-patriots-offense/

This was a nice nugget of info from the article...

Former Patriots quarterback, and 98.5 The Sports Hub host, Scott Zolak pointed out that Gordon played in a system similar to the Patriots’ this year with the Browns. Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley runs an Erhardt-Perkins offense, which has the same verbiage as the Patriots’. Haley came up under Ron Erhardt, for whom the offense is named, and former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis on the 1990s New York Jets. Current Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels also learned under Weis. That means Gordon could pick up the Patriots’ offense faster than other wide receivers. Gordon won’t immediately come to the Patriots, suit up in 14 games and lead the NFL in receiving yards again. But that’s the potential he possesses. And that’s why the Patriots were smart to take a risk on the troubled wideout.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The approved shooting was for his Flash clothing line but the actual shoot seemed to be more of a hype video and he was doing a bunch of drills and athletic activity which caused the  hamstring pull; the team didnt expect that so they probablu felt they were deecived

“Gordon was granted permission by the Browns to conduct a photo shoot for his ‘Flash’ clothing line Friday evening, but instead, he was participating in the filming of what one source called a ‘hype video’ intended to be released as a social-media commercial,” Jackson wrote. “At least five other people were present as Gordon went through football-related drills, and after about 90 minutes of shooting Friday, the source said Gordon pulled up limping while running a 40-yard dash and grabbed at his hamstring.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/09/nfl-rumors-heres-how-josh-gordon-injured-hamstring-lost-browns-trust/

This is good info.  So what did the Browns expect?  He did a photo/video shoot...which is what he asked for.  If they didn't like how he went about it, then its on them.  

I think Hue was probably angry that his offensive coordinator started Gordon in Game 1 and then announced he would start in game 2 but he hurt himself.  

Good riddance to Cleveland and here comes Brady.  Looking back at JG's career, I think things would be positively different had he been drafted by the Pats or another team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

This is good info.  So what did the Browns expect?  He did a photo/video shoot...which is what he asked for.  If they didn't like how he went about it, then its on them.  

I think Hue was probably angry that his offensive coordinator started Gordon in Game 1 and then announced he would start in game 2 but he hurt himself.  

Good riddance to Cleveland and here comes Brady.  Looking back at JG's career, I think things would be positively different had he been drafted by the Pats or another team.

Amen .. 

fwiw, it will be curious to see how he handles the pressure of the new england sports media/culture.  its definitely not for everyone and he will be much more under the microscope than in cleveland.  if he can keep his head down and just do what hoodie asks of him, he should be fine, but that is much easier said than done.....

7 minutes ago, whatisfootball said:

Sorry if I missed it earlier but has there been word on if he’s already passed his physical and the deal made official?

Mike ReissVerified account @MikeReiss
FollowFollow @MikeReiss
More

Bill Belichick, on conference call, not yet ready to talk about Josh Gordon. “We’re in the same place we were yesterday. Still working through it.”

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, herschel said:

fwiw, it will be curious to see how he handles the pressure of the new england sports media/culture.  its definitely not for everyone and he will be much more under the microscope than in cleveland.  if he can keep his head down and just do what hoodie asks of him, he should be fine, but that is much easier said than done.....

Maybe Josh is bringing back the "kid-gloves" that BB left behind in Cleveland..?

This is the best thing that could have happened to him imo. The fact that the organization is so organized is a plus. It’ll give him structure. If he even gets WR2 numbers that’s already a Win. Drafting him as a Flex/bench player was the best thing you could have done. It’ll take a couple weeks but I’m sure he’ll be able to produce with Brady. 

Im sure some leagues drafted him high but still WR2 numbers I’d  happy. He’s definitely producing 

47 minutes ago, herschel said:

I would honestly hire a 24/7 private security guard for JG if I were the Pats.  Had he had one back in 2014/2015 we wouldn’t be in this mess

1 minute ago, Smoketheclay said:

I would honestly hire a 24/7 private security guard for JG if I were the Pats.  Had he had one back in 2014/2015 we wouldn’t be in this mess

i dont think sobriety/anxiety is that easy of a fix.  

1 hour ago, Smoketheclay said:

All of these assumptions/opinions are misguided.  It's pretty easy, don't re-injure your hamstring doing stupid things on your own time.  If you have a balky hammy, don't being doing drills for a "hype" video.  His behavior was idiotic, par for the course.  And Hue was his advocate in the organization, not the other way around.  It's far more likely Dorsey had enough and told Hue they were moving on because Gordon can't be depended on.

Now, despite these poor positions, it doesn't change where he finds himself, he was placed in a very good situation for him to resurrect his career with an organization known to give 2nd and 3rd chances as long as you can produce on the field.  Will Gordon take advantage of this opportunity, maybe his last?  We will find out....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

All of these assumptions/opinions are misguided.  It's pretty easy, don't re-injure your hamstring doing stupid things on your own time.  If you have a balky hammy, don't being doing drills for a "hype" video.  His behavior was idiotic, par for the course.  And Hue was his advocate in the organization, not the other way around.  It's far more likely Dorsey had enough and told Hue they were moving on because Gordon can't be depended on.

Now, despite these poor positions, it doesn't change where he finds himself, he was placed in a very good situation for him to resurrect his career with an organization known to give 2nd and 3rd chances as long as you can produce on the field.  Will Gordon take advantage of this opportunity, maybe his last?  We will find out....

The link above says he injured his hamstring running the 40, which isn’t any different than what he did in the game on Sunday or during practice.

also, his hamstring injury suddenly disappeared

seems it’s not the hamstring 

Either way, seems everyone agrees NE is a good place to land for him and for fantasy

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

The link above says he injured his hamstring running the 40, which isn’t any different than what he did in the game on Sunday or during practice.

also, his hamstring injury suddenly disappeared

seems it’s not the hamstring 

Either way, seems everyone agrees NE is a good place to land for him and for fantasy

His job is to be ready to play on Sundays.  He missed treatments for his hamstring and reinjured it doing a stupid promo shoot.  This is like an RB with a knee injury getting hurt in a charity basketball game the saturday before a game.  Boneheaded move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oban14 said:

His job is to be ready to play on Sundays.  He missed treatments for his hamstring and reinjured it doing a stupid promo shoot.  This is like an RB with a knee injury getting hurt in a charity basketball game the saturday before a game.  Boneheaded move.

It may not have been the best idea-- and who knows if it is true or not-- but Gordon had declared himself 100% healthy at the end of offseason and subsequently played an entire game of football Week 1 with no setbacks. He had no limitations the following week in practice. All indications were that he was healthy. 

1 minute ago, oban14 said:

I'm not defending dude.  He's clearly, his own worst enemy.  And while the Browns are low hanging fruit, I do think they went above and beyond in attempt to accommodate Josh.  Maybe they handled Saturday though yesterday poorly.  But, otherwise they stood by him, in hopes he would get his crap together.  I just hope JG realizes this is it.  Last shot.  If he blows it with NE, I doubt we ever see him on the field again.  Millions and millions of peeps, would kill to be in his position.  And from one of my favorite movies (3 o'clock high), "don't eff this up Gordon"!

Just now, Grayson2401 said:

It may not have been the best idea-- and who knows if it is true or not-- but Gordon had declared himself 100% healthy at the end of offseason and subsequently played an entire game of football Week 1 with no setbacks. He had no limitations the following week in practice. All indications were that he was healthy. 

If you are a pro athlete, during the season, don't do anything that will risk your health.

That said he probably was making this video to generate some income.  I think he's still making 700K per year on his contract.

19 minutes ago, oban14 said:

If you are a pro athlete, during the season, don't do anything that will risk your health.

That said he probably was making this video to generate some income.  I think he's still making 700K per year on his contract.

Theoretically, pro athletes shouldn't do anything year round that can risk their careers or hurt their team,  yet the consummate professional Andrew Luck almost ruined his career snowboarding. 

8 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Theoretically, pro athletes shouldn't do anything year round that can risk their careers or hurt their team,  yet the consummate professional Andrew Luck almost ruined his career snowboarding. 

Another cautionary tale.  And yes, Luck has always been a professional.  I bet if he had a dozen or so red flags in his history that would have been the "final straw" and he would have gotten dropped by the Colts.

Save all the semi-risky activities until you're 35.