DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

He was traded in my league today straight up for Lamar Miller. We can trade future picks, none were involved. 

Some people will gamble on him, in my opinion it's just too risky. I'll watch tho, this is can't miss tv. 

I just don't know how he's gonna pick up the most complex system in the NFL on the fly, unless Brady is literally telling him what to do on each play in the huddle. 

He won’t. They will ease him in. The first game he might only know 100 plays and play 15% of the snaps.

I was reading an article online yesterday....Todd Haley's Offense is not to different to the Patriots regarding terms / language and so forth. I would think Flash would be motivated now and would put the extra effort in making it right and might not take as long as people think to get a lot of the Pats system down. I'm a Lions fan and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they unleash Gordon on the Sunday night spot light for a few deep ones with at least one going for a TD....being the Lions, 3-4 with a high success rate. Especially if Darius Slay cant go this week because of his concussion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

That was an amazing play...and an incomplete pass if thrown to 95% of the receivers in the league. Can’t wait to fire this guy up the 2nd half of the season with Tom Brady throwing him the ball. It’s going to be a fun ride, fellas.

Come on, more like 95+% of the receivers in the league catches that ball. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

The more I think about it and after reading that Lombardi quote, NE is probably the best landing spot for Josh both as a recovering addict and a football player. You want this guy in a highly structured organization that is going to demand the best out of him, unlike the ?-show in Cleveland. And if he's serious about his recovery then he will welcome the challenge and opportunity to keep productively busy.

This is where we finally learn where this stock is heading. Hold on to your butts. 

I agree New England probably is the best place for Josh to land. Maybe it might install structure in his life. Now it is up to Josh to focus. I wonder can he 

or maybe Bill said let’s get Josh before any other teams hold him and play him sparely, he never reaches that number of games

1 hour ago, sspiv said:

I was reading an article online yesterday....Todd Haley's Offense is not to different to the Patriots regarding terms / language and so forth. I would think Flash would be motivated now and would put the extra effort in making it right and might not take as long as people think to get a lot of the Pats system down. I'm a Lions fan and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they unleash Gordon on the Sunday night spot light for a few deep ones with at least one going for a TD....being the Lions, 3-4 with a high success rate. Especially if Darius Slay cant go this week because of his concussion.

Not to mention I don’t think Belicheck and Patricia had the best relationship so this could be one of those games where he would love to run up the score.

I just traded for this guy. To expect anything substantial would be rediculous. Bill doesnt play around, if gordon isnt fully up to speed quickly, hes not gonna get alot of work. Bill will play mediocre wrs who know their assignments over gordon. 

So let us hope gordon hits it hard. 

11 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I agree New England probably is the best place for Josh to land. Maybe it might install structure in his life. Now it is up to Josh to focus. I wonder can he 

or maybe Bill said let’s get Josh before any other teams hold him and play him sparely, he never reaches that number of games

His is an addict in an addiction treatment program he already has structure in his life.

I think playing for the pats puts him in a highly structured hyper competitive environment with little to no room for repeated errors because hoodie makes few exceptions to his rules. it's like brady+ Gronk get wiggle room but a pro bowl malcolm butler gets benched. In other words this will probably be the first organization he has been his entire football career where he will know excatly where the lines are and his talent will not allow him to cross those lines. 

22 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

New England probably is the best place for Josh to land.

In real life, perhaps. Fantasy? Not so much. Right off the rip there is indecision. The Pats play Sunday night. Are you going to risk playing him?

Do you want to HOPE he plays? 

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

His is an addict in an addiction treatment program he already has structure in his life.

I think playing for the pats puts him in a highly structured hyper competitive environment with little to no room for repeated errors because hoodie makes few exceptions to his rules. it's like brady+ Gronk get wiggle room but a pro bowl malcolm butler gets benched. In other words this will probably be the first organization he has been his entire football career where he will know excatly where the lines are and his talent will not allow him to cross those lines. 

He does? How about that NFL rumor link you posted. Who knows what really happen.

this does not sound like a guy with structure

“Gordon was granted permission by the Browns to conduct a photo shoot for his ‘Flash’ clothing line Friday evening, but instead, he was participating in the filming of what one source called a ‘hype video’ intended to be released as a social-media commercial,” Jackson wrote. “At least five other people were present as Gordon went through football-related drills, and after about 90 minutes of shooting Friday, the source said Gordon pulled up limping while running a 40-yard dash and grabbed at his hamstring.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/09/nfl-rumors-heres-how-josh-gordon-injured-hamstring-lost-browns-trust/

38 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Come on, more like 95+% of the receivers in the league catches that ball. 

I'm not going to say that was a great catch but 95% of receivers are not 6"4. Brandin Cooks, at 5"10, isn't making that play. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting Tom Brady stats pertaining to Lord Gordon....

Brady sports a 23% aggression ratio this year as opposed to it being in the teens in the past few years so defenders are within 1 yard of his intended target way more this year...   

Gordon can fix that when he's wreckin secondaries who have to worry about Gronk, Michel etc...

Brady also has a longest completed air distance pass of 34 yards this year when its routinely been in the mid 50's (58 last year) most of the time so.....

Gordon can fix that when he's the best deep threat Brady has had in many moons..  (haha sorry Green Bay peeps)

The cliff is approaching for Brady and Gordon may help him extend his dominance so it's well worth the scraps they are paying to find out...

I would have preferred Gordon to be an Eagle so he could be the true #1 and be with a much younger Wentz plus a coach who should be there a while..

But maybe the stars are aligning for Gordon to beast it and get Brady & Hoodie another ring, then Hoodie retires as does Brady and Gordon exits as a free agent with a rehabbed image and a recent monster resume...

I've had Gordon on my squad since the week Cleveland took him in the supplemental draft so im a Gordon lifer and may be biased, but New England gives him a great chance to shine..   I also think McDaniels will dust off some of the ol' #81 plays sooner rather than later and Gordon makes an impact in the next few weeks....

26 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

He does? How about that NFL rumor link you posted. Who knows what really happen.

this does not sound like a guy with structure

“Gordon was granted permission by the Browns to conduct a photo shoot for his ‘Flash’ clothing line Friday evening, but instead, he was participating in the filming of what one source called a ‘hype video’ intended to be released as a social-media commercial,” Jackson wrote. “At least five other people were present as Gordon went through football-related drills, and after about 90 minutes of shooting Friday, the source said Gordon pulled up limping while running a 40-yard dash and grabbed at his hamstring.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/09/nfl-rumors-heres-how-josh-gordon-injured-hamstring-lost-browns-trust/

Not sure how u correlate a promo shoot gone bad with lack of structure. That's not even logical. :lol:

I also think McDaniels is pretty good, and is more than happy to have a new toy in his toolbox. He'll absolutely maximize Gordon's talent on the field.

4 minutes ago, FooserX said:

I also think McDaniels is pretty good, and is more than happy to have a new toy in his toolbox. He'll absolutely maximize Gordon's talent on the field.

How can a coach maximize a player’s talent when he doesn’t reach the field. 

Design easy routes? lol

You just gave the best OC in the league someone other than Hogan and Dorsett. Pretty sure they will do their best to expand the playbook to fit him in.

2 minutes ago, FooserX said:

Design easy routes? lol

You just gave the best OC in the league someone other than Hogan and Dorsett. Pretty sure they will do their best to expand the playbook to fit him in.

Honestly this will bump hogan and edelman with more receptions since Gordon will be the vertical threat, forcing teams to play deep and Brady will just throw short passes and kill you.

Wahts the the likelihood that he suits up for the lions game? Seems too short notice but would anyone start him if he's playing?

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

Wahts the the likelihood that he suits up for the lions game?

50/50 shot to me tbh. We'll see how news from this week's practices go.

2 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

would anyone start him if he's playing?

I personally am not and have a hard time imagining anyone would be confident this week, save for those completely diseased at receiver.

12 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Wahts the the likelihood that he suits up for the lions game? Seems too short notice but would anyone start him if he's playing?

Didnt you say no start/sit in here yest? :-)

I'm starting if reports come out hes playing. Too much fun to have him succeed in my lineup. 

• Like 1

Just now, FooserX said:

Design easy routes? lol

Why are people acting like josh is a  marginal football talent or a football moron? There is a difference between his off field decision making and his on field playmaking. Dude has played under multiple offensive coordinators and he has excelled. He does not have a reputation as a low IQ football player so not sure why all of a suden because he is with the pats he will have a mental breakdown studying their playbook. 

32 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I could see him suiting up.  Just suiting him makes the other team worried.  I'd just send him out there the first series and just tell him, "Hey, lineup over there, and run a go route."  Then keep him on the sideline for a bunch of plays once the game gets going.  I don't see him being utilized a lot though in his first game.

I'm honestly trying to sell because I think it will take a couple weeks for him to get into the flow, but once he does get in adjusted he should put up solid numbers.  I'm just afraid I won't survive a few more weeks of this and be in too big of a hole to recover on my team.  I'm currently 0-2 if that gives some perspective of my situation.

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

i rarely start players who are in season trades, it take a while to coordinate and fit into a new system.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

Honestly this will bump hogan and edelman with more receptions since Gordon will be the vertical threat, forcing teams to play deep and Brady will just throw short passes and kill you.

i agree in theory, but gordon has to be proven/believed to be a legitimate threat for this to work. i.e., brady must be able to get gordon the ball deep for teams to respect the threat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, osb_tensor said:

i agree in theory, but gordon has to be proven/believed to be a legitimate threat for this to work. i.e., brady must be able to get gordon the ball deep for teams to respect the threat.

You have to automatically respect the threat when he is on the field because you know on a simple go route he can easily get behind your secondary. He is a playmaker with size, speed, athleticism and a football IQ who can hurt you on a single play