DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

5 minutes ago, joed2323 said:

Part of me wants to drop Gordon only because the pats run a tight ship 

Do you Gordon lovers really believe that Gordon is gonna blossom here?

Just because he gets traded to the pats and has Brady doesn't make this kid a sure bet #1 wide out!

His chances of busting here far out way his potential

it seems like your mind is made up already 

you should just drop him 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, joed2323 said:

Part of me wants to drop Gordon paritally because the pats run a tight ship and Gordon really hasn't put up tremendous numbers over a 5 year span! Ppl believe in this kid because he is "talented"

Do you Gordon lovers really believe that Gordon is gonna blossom here?

Just because he gets traded to the pats and has Brady doesn't make this kid a sure bet #1 wide out!

HC might be his biggest hurdle. Does Josh have have the will power and mind set to prove a ton of ppl wrong?

His chances of busting here far out way his potential

Does this kid have it in him to learn the play book? This alone is scary

In life there is very talented ppl, just because you have the talent for something doesn't make you automatically great, if you don't put in the work to apply the talent, your talent is as good as useless

I hope he proves me wrong so I can come back to this thread and admit I was completely wrong

He is supposedly “eager to learn everything” so he’s starting off on the wrong foot. He is also reputedly a smart guy so if he chooses to want to learn the playbook, he should be able to.

I think people are placing too much emphasis on learning the playbook variable, not even Einstein will learn their entire playbook in a few weeks. He has had no OTA's, training camp and multiple reps in their offense. 

What Hoodie cares about is executing in the role he gives you and not making the same mistakes over and over again. people talk about the "patriots way" like it's some extreme cult system when basically it's  Hoodie saying do your job so I can do mine because if you don't do your job I will replace you, end of story.

The Pats are  going to give Josh some things they believe he should be able to execute on and they will expect him to do it flawlessly.

Hoodie is not going to waste time and energy on placing Josh in situations that will fail the team.  I speculate Josh will emerge during the playoffs and make the big chunk plays NE needs in their offense and everything up to the playoffs is merely getting him acclimated to the offense.  Any production prior to the playoffs  is a bonus. 

I still think Josh will be on the trading block next season NE is just a pit stop for him

• Like 3

After watching the Lawrence Taylor football life last night and seeing Hoodie gush over L.T. who was much more drug fueled than Gordon it made me think that is a reason Bill would take a shot on Gordon, because he has dealt with it before.... 

If he could get L.T. to talk to Gordon it would be spectacular and just maybe behind the scenes Hoodie and Parcells are teaming up to help guide Lord Gordon.....

• Like 1

Let's speculate a little bit further.

If Gordon does come in the game this weekend, and actually makes 1-3 catches this thread will explode with Gordon love! Could you imagine if he snagged a TD 

• Confused 3

Low volume with a decent chance at a TD this week.

After this week.. Watch out NFL. He's gonna beast.

• Like 1

Josh do you know what a go route is? Do that, a lot.

Edited by meekzy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If anyone watched the Patriot games, there is a mutual need from the Patriot side and the Gordon side.

Brady has been slowing down and frankly isn’t as good as he has been in the past.  The Patriots are WR needy.  Their defense doesn’t seem as good as past years.  They have a lot of problems

what I’m saying is that the Patriots don’t accept losing and they need Gordon this year almost as much as Gordon needs them.  They haven’t looked anything close to a Super Bowl team.  Gordon is their life raft 

Here’s to hoping this post ages well

Edited by Smoketheclay
  • Like 1

if your playing Gordon Sunday, be aware his game is late Sunday and IF he is out be sure to have a backup plan from this game or MNF

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, datsyuk said:

The one thing that I believe is nice about the situation is that I don't believe there are more than 2 scenarios to how this all plays out. Gordon either gets his head in the game, learns the playbook, earns Brady's trust, and stays on the field, thus leading to phenomenal numbers. Or he doesn't, and is cut within 3 weeks.

Either way, I really don't think there is anything in between. If Josh is on the field, he is going to produce 100%. He is too talented not to, and has the best QB of his career throwing him the ball, with a very good offensive coordinator calling the plays. If he gets cut, he will certainly get picked back up by some other team, namely the 49ers, Seahawks, or Cowboys who desperately need WR help. 

The only bad thing that can truly come from Gordon is if he fails a drug test. That puts him out of the NFL basically for good.

If he doesn't run the routes properly/build a rapport with Brady he will play but become more of a decoy with a great game here and there to make you still have a reason to consider playing him. This would be the worst case scenario and wouldn't happen if he went to most other teams. The Patriots don't need him to win like many other teams would. 

It pains me to say it as a Lions fan, but their D is historically terrible.  There's a reason why Darnold looked like an all-pro in his first game.  The D line is a joke, outside of the banged up Ansah.  They struggle to rush the QB, so Brady should have all night in the pocket.  Darius Slay is a badass, but the chance of him suiting up to cover Gordon after getting his bell rung last week is almost zero.  Belichick has an opportunity to run up the score on a former AC, and we know he won't pass that up.  The stars have aligned, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats drop 70 tomorrow night.  Limited snap count or not, Gordon will not be on my bench this week if active.  

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/21/bill-belichick-on-josh-gordon-hes-picked-up-a-lot/

Bill Belichick praised Josh Gordon’s work ethic since joining the New England Patriots, and noted that Gordon had done about as much as he could do in his week with his new team.

“Josh is a smart kid,” Bill Belichick said Friday morning during a press conference at Gillette Stadium. “He’s worked hard. He’s picked up a lot.”

When it came to Gordon, Belichick often deferred to his go-to answer: “We’ll see how it goes.” It’s unclear if the talented wideout, who joined the Patriots in a trade on Wednesday, will play against the Detroit Lions on Sunday night in Week 3. Belichick said it would be “impossible” to teach Gordon the offense in time for the game. New England will take a piece-meal approach, which is typical for in-season acquisitions.

“It’s about taking a segment of the things that are most important and building on that day by day as time goes on,” Belichick said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/2018/09/patriots_receiver_josh_gordon_gets_backing_from_former_teammates

Another good read. Some notable tidbits:

Brandon Lafell on Gordon in New England:

“I think it’s definitely a good environment because he has to know he’s running out of opportunities,” LaFell said. “People are not going to continue to give you chance after chance. . . . I feel like the structure around there — Bill (Belichick), Tom (Brady), and just to see the way other guys around him work and become selfless and all about the team — I think that’s going to be great for Josh to buy in and put himself on the backburner and be all about the Patriots.”

“There’s absolutely no tolerance up there,” LaFell said. “Be early. Don’t miss anything that’s mandatory or voluntary. Make sure you’re sitting right by Tom in meetings, listening to Josh McDaniels speak. It’s a great situation. They’ve been doing great things. They’re going to continue to go great things. And they’re going to do great things with or without you, so you better buy in and be all about the team.”

As for the locker room? Stationed next to Brady, LaFell recalls talking football “all day.”

“(Gordon) is going to start to speak with Tom so much, talk about coverages so much, he’ll start to see the same thing Tom sees each and every play on the field,” LaFell said.

LaFell remained Brady’s locker mate for two years.

Andrew Hawkins:

Yesterday, the first words out of Hawkins’ mouth regarding Gordon were “super, super smart guy.”

“You just talk to him and feel the way he communicates and the way he comprehends, and you realize, ‘Oh this guy, he has a lot to him,’ ” Hawkins said. “He really is a smart guy.”

In Cleveland, Gordon had zero issues learning the playbook, according to Hawkins. And the Browns cycled five offensive coordinators in Gordon’s first five seasons. But having played here, Hawkins cautioned it might not be so easy this time. The Patriots offense is “unlike anything” Hawkins had ever experienced.

Gordon’s friends describe him as quiet and laid-back. He’s so laid-back, according to LaFell, that his demeanor “rubs some guys the wrong way.”

“They think he doesn’t care,” LaFell said. “But he cares about just about everything.”

Of course, Gordon’s struggles have been well documented. He’s appeared in 11 games since his breakout 2013 campaign, the prime of his career wiped away by suspensions and various substance-abuse issues. He’s battled addiction and stumbled along the way, but once Gordon opened up about his problems, Hawkins said, there was discernible progress.

“Josh now is not the same Josh that I knew four years ago, and that’s a good thing,” Hawkins said. “It’s a process. He’s doing the right things and taking the right steps. That’s not to say he’s perfect, and that’s not to say he’s going to be perfect. But unfortunately, that’s a side of substance abuse that is a reality for everybody.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

If anyone watched the Patriot games, there is a mutual need from the Patriot side and the Gordon side.

Brady has been slowing down and frankly isn’t as good as he has been in the past.  The Patriots are WR needy.  Their defense doesn’t seem as good as past years.  They have a lot of problems

what I’m saying is that the Patriots don’t accept losing and they need Gordon this year almost as much as Gordon needs them.  They haven’t looked anything close to a Super Bowl team.  Gordon is their life raft 

Here’s to hoping this post ages well

There's been two games. I think we can probably slow down on the "Patriots and Tom Brady don't look like contenders" narrative. Especially considering their one loss was against the best defense in the league where Brady actually played better than what people were anticipating. 

I do agree there is a level of mutual interest for both sides but I don't think the Patriots desperately need Gordon to save their season. Last season they were hyped to have the best offense they've had since 2007 but still started the year 2-2. They're a team of adjustments and game planning, they generally take a few weeks to find their identity. 

Furthermore, I do expect Gordon to have an impact, but not immediately.. I think it's a bit of an underestimation to say he won't be an impact player until the playoffs or really late in the season because again, we're just now going into week three. I'd expect in 3 games, including tomorrow, we'll be seeing Gordon producing as a major option in the pass game... Assuming of course that his work ethic is right. 

37 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

If he doesn't run the routes properly/build a rapport with Brady he will play but become more of a decoy with a great game here and there to make you still have a reason to consider playing him. This would be the worst case scenario and wouldn't happen if he went to most other teams. The Patriots don't need him to win like many other teams would. 

Hard to say. Even if him and Brady don't have great chemistry together ala Brady and Edelman, he can still be good enough to be a WR2 with upside. A guy like Gordon doesn't need 10+ targets a game to do damage. He only needs 5-7 to make it count. Plus he will be utilized in the red zone most likely.

I am not the happiest camper that he went to the Patriots, as I would have rather seen him to go the 49ers or Seahawks, where he would literally be "the man." But even so, being with the Patriots isn't a bad thing. Great HOF QB, great head coach, great offensive coordinator. All Gordon needs to do is put in the work himself, and everything else will fall into place.

• Like 2

i think he will try his best to stick around 

whats better for his flash brand then playing in a big market and winning 

All that means is he's going to blow up on everyone's bench. But yes, you can't play

Edited by FritzLn

13 minutes ago, phatrat said:

I’m seriously considering just dropping him at this point.

This is going to crush his already tenuous trade value. I’ve been trying to trade him all over my league and nobody wants him.

He has barely been able to practice much less play for one reason or another going all the way back to July. It will be difficult enough trying to learn the playbook and get the practice time necessary to earn BB’s trust when he’s healthy. Now yet another week of delays/problems/injury/whatever. This guy is just a total sh%t show. 

Going to give this guy one more week and if the hamstring is still a problem I’m dropping him like:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Love my Patriots ... born n raised still living in Massachusetts. It would be awesome if Josh Gordon can get his act together and bring another championship to New England. Let’s go Josh 

honestly I hope for the best 

21 hours ago, dashoe said:

I think people are placing too much emphasis on learning the playbook variable, not even Einstein will learn their entire playbook in a few weeks. He has had no OTA's, training camp and multiple reps in their offense. 

What Hoodie cares about is executing in the role he gives you and not making the same mistakes over and over again. people talk about the "patriots way" like it's some extreme cult system when basically it's  Hoodie saying do your job so I can do mine because if you don't do your job I will replace you, end of story.

The Pats are  going to give Josh some things they believe he should be able to execute on and they will expect him to do it flawlessly.

Hoodie is not going to waste time and energy on placing Josh in situations that will fail the team.  I speculate Josh will emerge during the playoffs and make the big chunk plays NE needs in their offense and everything up to the playoffs is merely getting him acclimated to the offense.  Any production prior to the playoffs  is a bonus. 

I still think Josh will be on the trading block next season NE is just a pit stop for him

I agree learning the playbook is not such a big deal, all Josh needs to do is find a way to get inside Tom’s head. The key is being at the right place on the field when Tom throws the ball. Catch ball run. 

You’re giving Josh too big of a window.

Emerge during the playoffs? Fantasy (14-16) or real playoffs? 

I guy talented as Josh should produce before then.... if not I don’t see him being around for any fantasy or real football playoffs. 

20 hours ago, whadeeb said:

if your playing Gordon Sunday, be aware his game is late Sunday and IF he is out be sure to have a backup plan from this game or MNF

Honestly, I think he should be on every bench ... unless you such a Josh-homer then I understand 

• Confused 1

Waiting till gametime to decide on him or Kerryon. If I didn’t have a backup plan I’d feel fine about sitting him a week to wait and see. If people are jumping ship on Josh because he couldn’t immediately start the game immediately after switching teams mid-week and learning one of the most complex offenses in the sport - then you never really deserved him in the first place <3. But seriously, the fact that there’s a chance they roll him out at all is a testament to the type of talent he is and the confidence they have in his brain and his ability. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Waiting till gametime to decide on him or Kerryon. If I didn’t have a backup plan I’d feel fine about sitting him a week to wait and see. If people are jumping ship on Josh because he couldn’t immediately start the game immediately after switching teams mid-week and learning one of the most complex offenses in the sport - then you never really deserved him in the first place <3. But seriously, the fact that there’s a chance they roll him out at all is a testament to the type of talent he is and the confidence they have in his brain and his ability. 

Exactly what I have and am doing.