DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

This game is going to be a blood bath the Colts will be without their #1 receiver, #1 RB, #1 TE, two starting tackles, two back up tackles, two starting CBs, and their starting Center (Kelly), safety (Geathers), corner (Hairston), and LB (Leonard) are also questionable.

 

I don't think anyone will be surprised if the Patriots put up 40+ tonight and I have a hard time seeing Gordon not getting a touchdown if the Patriots score 4/5/6 of them. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AJ92 said:

This game is going to be a blood bath the Colts will be without their #1 receiver, #1 RB, #1 TE, two starting tackles, two back up tackles, two starting CBs, and their starting Center (Kelly), safety (Geathers), corner (Hairston), and LB (Leonard) are also questionable.

 

I don't think anyone will be surprised if the Patriots put up 40+ tonight and I have a hard time seeing Gordon not getting a touchdown if the Patriots score 4/5/6 of them. 

 

 

 

hines isn't playing?!? (kidding.)

 

 

josh is my tiebreaker player right now. i'm just not ready to start him until i see him play a bit more than 25% of the snaps. (he's behind kupp, corey davis & doug baldwin for me.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, astrongcupofjoel said:

 

 

 

hines isn't playing?!? (kidding.)

 

 

josh is my tiebreaker player right now. i'm just not ready to start him until i see him play a bit more than 25% of the snaps. (he's behind kupp, corey davis & doug baldwin for me.)

 

Careful, don't use the word "start" or your post will get removed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's only week 5, and Gordon hasn't even been there a month, but I'd be more excited about owning him if there was any indication that his role was going to expand.  Sure, this guy doesn't seem too bright (wonder what his Wonderlic was) and maybe he is having trouble learning a complex playbook.  But it's frustrating when you read things like Edelman will immediately be plugged in and get a full complement of snaps, yet Gordon seems to be an afterthought even though he is so much more talented.  Yeah, I know, different situation.  Edelman is a trusted teammate, knows the system, isn't injured, etc.  I just want to see some inkling that they intend to use Gordon at some point.  I hope it's not another 6 weeks of waiting, because by then the fantasy season is pretty much over.  Was counting on this guy to be an every week start and I know it's too soon to expect that, that he's a "second half" type of investment, etc.  But come on, let's unleash him and see if he can recapture some of his playmaking magic.  At this point, I think he would have been better off in Cleveland with Baker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CooL said:

I know it's only week 5, and Gordon hasn't even been there a month, but I'd be more excited about owning him if there was any indication that his role was going to expand.  Sure, this guy doesn't seem too bright (wonder what his Wonderlic was) and maybe he is having trouble learning a complex playbook.  But it's frustrating when you read things like Edelman will immediately be plugged in and get a full complement of snaps, yet Gordon seems to be an afterthought even though he is so much more talented.  Yeah, I know, different situation.  Edelman is a trusted teammate, knows the system, isn't injured, etc.  I just want to see some inkling that they intend to use Gordon at some point.  I hope it's not another 6 weeks of waiting, because by then the fantasy season is pretty much over.  Was counting on this guy to be an every week start and I know it's too soon to expect that, that he's a "second half" type of investment, etc.  But come on, let's unleash him and see if he can recapture some of his playmaking magic.  At this point, I think he would have been better off in Cleveland with Baker.

 

It’s his second week with the team, and a short week at that.  Patience.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm with this guy ^ If you drafted Gordon in RDs 4-5 and didn't sell after he got traded, you have to hang in there for a bit. 

 

His fantasy outlook is trending the right way - albeit slowly. Edelman rejoining the fold actually helps him contrary to popular belief IMO. Take the blows week to week as he gets 2-3 catches while he's recovering from the hammy and adjusting to the offense. 

 

He could be a league winner down the stretch if him and Brady start dealing. Or he could be dead space on your bench. Either way, he's in the best possible fantasy position on the Pats and that alone warrants some patience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CooL said:

At this point, I think he would have been better off in Cleveland with Baker.

 

For fantasy purposes more than likely but that was obvious because of how many unknowns he has to deal with in NE.

 

Gordon makes the Pats such a better real life team though, and he will likely pay off for their Superbowl run this year but fantasy owners may not ever feel comfortable starting him for quite some time.  Look back at when Randy Moss was traded to the Vikings mid season.  Its really a challenge for players to show up to new teams mid season and have things roll in their favor. 

Edited by Zak0221

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

 

For fantasy purposes more than likely but that was obvious because of how many unknowns he has to deal with in NE.

 

Gordon makes the Pats such a better real life team though, and he will likely pay off for their Superbowl run this year but fantasy owners may not ever feel comfortable starting him for quite some time.  Look back at when Randy Moss was traded to the Vikings mid season.  Its really a challenge for players to show up to new teams mid season and have things roll in their favor. 

This.  Lot of talent on the Pats and many mouths to feed.  I think the analysis that he was going to be a league winner because he has Tom Brady throwing to him was a bit premature.  We may see him eat in the second half once he's comfortable.  Or we may just see the occasional 3 targets thrown deep to him while Brady focuses on Gronk, Edelman, and White.  He's a hold.  Hope I'm still in it when/if he ever comes around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Realistic expectations tonight? 

 

4 for 60.   Hopefully he gets loose on one of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Realistic expectations tonight? 

 

Back on the Hype Train (Or crazy train...) after acquiring Josh in a trade.  Excited for tonight's game with a chance to see him and Michel.

 

My expectation is 3-50 on 4 or 5 targets, 30% snap count.  Small chance of a TD.

 

A little more involved than last week, after a short week, would be a win in my book.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K197040 said:

 

4 for 60.   Hopefully he gets loose on one of them.

 

Was thinking the exact same thing.  If he can hit that with an increased snap count, then I'd feel pretty good about rolling him out there next week against Kansas City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CooL said:

I know it's only week 5, and Gordon hasn't even been there a month, but I'd be more excited about owning him if there was any indication that his role was going to expand.  Sure, this guy doesn't seem too bright (wonder what his Wonderlic was) and maybe he is having trouble learning a complex playbook.  But it's frustrating when you read things like Edelman will immediately be plugged in and get a full complement of snaps, yet Gordon seems to be an afterthought even though he is so much more talented.  Yeah, I know, different situation.  Edelman is a trusted teammate, knows the system, isn't injured, etc.  I just want to see some inkling that they intend to use Gordon at some point.  I hope it's not another 6 weeks of waiting, because by then the fantasy season is pretty much over.  Was counting on this guy to be an every week start and I know it's too soon to expect that, that he's a "second half" type of investment, etc.  But come on, let's unleash him and see if he can recapture some of his playmaking magic.  At this point, I think he would have been better off in Cleveland with Baker.

 

I have no idea where this "guy doesn't seem too bright" came from as it's contradicted by every single person that comes into contact with him. You can google if you're interested in specifics, but Gordon is very smart intellectually and his ability to get the playbook is praised by Belichick:

 

"Josh has worked hard, he's a smart kid and he's got quite a bit of experience," Belichick said Monday, via quotes distributed by the team. "He's, obviously, played in a lot of different systems with different coordinators and so forth. So, I think one way or the other, he's probably experienced things that we're doing in one of those systems that he's been involved in. So, he's been able to pick things up quickly and has experience doing different things, so it was good to get him out there."

Maybe you were basing this off of his addiction and his struggles with that and him not being smart because of that? Him loving weed has nothing to do with his intellect. Is it sad and confusing? Yes. I wish someone could sit him down and say "bro, focus on football for the next 10 years and you'll get so much money from being a top end receiver that you can smoke all you want the rest of your life, if you don't curb that issue right now, it'll cost you so much money, just focus for a little bit." ha

But addiction isn't that simple. I'm encouraged by him being on the Patriots. He's with legends there and I think it will help. This article points to how much he loves that he's with Tom.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-and-bill-belichick-react-to-josh-gordons-first-game-with-the-patriots/

 

Sorry for the rant, but i take issue with people calling athletes dummies. Especially when it's stereotypical and baseless.

Edited by Litany
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fellas, as long as we see an uptick in usage, the prospects are high. Patience. 

 

Josh is a high-risk/high-reward type of fantasy player. We're in this for the high-reward, so we have to deal with the risk that he comes with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but Edelman's return seems to sour the chance for increased target share.  I see a lot of dinking and dunking to Edelman and White, with the 5-7 targets going to a double covered Gronk, and maybe 4 shots to Gordon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CooL said:

This.  Lot of talent on the Pats and many mouths to feed.  I think the analysis that he was going to be a league winner because he has Tom Brady throwing to him was a bit premature.  We may see him eat in the second half once he's comfortable.  Or we may just see the occasional 3 targets thrown deep to him while Brady focuses on Gronk, Edelman, and White.  He's a hold.  Hope I'm still in it when/if he ever comes around.

Hogan, Dorsett, and Patterson would likely be the worst starting group of WRs behind only Dallas. None of them are very good WRs whether talented or not. Gronk is obviously incredibly talented and Edelman is very skilled at what he does. But I think it is just Bill and Brady doing what they do best: Make everyone around them better. 

 

I never really understand the notion that Gordon will have to compete for targets because there is so much talent on the team. He may not thrive in NE, who knows, but it will not be because there is an abundance of talent to compete with. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, K197040 said:

 

4 for 60.   Hopefully he gets loose on one of them.

Say Brady completes 23-24 passes. That the league average so far.

 

Gronk- 4-5

White 4-5

Hogan 3-4

Dorsett 2-4

Edelman 2-4

Michel 0-1

 

Thats 15 completions on the low end. 23 at the high end. Right in the middle is 19. 

 

That leaves room for 3-6 receptions under “normal” gameflow. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Litany said:

 

I have no idea where this "guy doesn't seem too bright" came from as it's contradicted by every single person that comes into contact with him. You can google if you're interested in specifics, but Gordon is very smart intellectually and his ability to get the playbook is praised by Belichick:

 

"Josh has worked hard, he's a smart kid and he's got quite a bit of experience," Belichick said Monday, via quotes distributed by the team. "He's, obviously, played in a lot of different systems with different coordinators and so forth. So, I think one way or the other, he's probably experienced things that we're doing in one of those systems that he's been involved in. So, he's been able to pick things up quickly and has experience doing different things, so it was good to get him out there."

Maybe you were basing this off of his addiction and his struggles with that and him not being smart because of that? Him loving weed has nothing to do with his intellect. Is it sad and confusing? Yes. I wish someone could sit him down and say "bro, focus on football for the next 10 years and you'll get so much money from being a top end receiver that you can smoke all you want the rest of your life, if you don't curb that issue right now, it'll cost you so much money, just focus for a little bit.

But addiction isn't that simple. I'm encouraged by him being on the Patriots. He's with legends there and I think it will help. This article points to how much he loves that he's with Tom.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-and-bill-belichick-react-to-josh-gordons-first-game-with-the-patriots/

 

Sorry for the rant, but i take issue with people calling athletes dummies. Especially when it's stereotypical and baseless.

OK, guilty as charged.  I guess his Wonderlic was 24, which isn't Ryan Fitzpatrick smart but also is way better than Frank Gore's 6.  I'm also probably basing the comment on things I've read about how it will "be difficult for him to pick up the complex playbook".  Perhaps those are just all a matter of opinion.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Say Brady completes 23-24 passes. That the league average so far.

 

Gronk- 4-5

White 4-5

Hogan 3-4

Dorsett 2-4

Edelman 2-4

Michel 0-1

 

Thats 15 completions on the low end. 23 at the high end. Right in the middle is 19. 

 

That leaves room for 3-6 receptions under “normal” gameflow. 

 

You missed CP84 getting his normal amount of work. The true #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Say Brady completes 23-24 passes. That the league average so far.

 

Gronk- 4-5

White 4-5

Hogan 3-4

Dorsett 2-4

Edelman 2-4

Michel 0-1

 

Thats 15 completions on the low end. 23 at the high end. Right in the middle is 19. 

 

That leaves room for 3-6 receptions under “normal” gameflow. 

 

 

 

James white and edeleman will double the count you show. Im cool if brady throws it 35 times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Say Brady completes 23-24 passes. That the league average so far.

 

Gronk- 4-5

White 4-5

Hogan 3-4

Dorsett 2-4

Edelman 2-4

Michel 0-1

 

Thats 15 completions on the low end. 23 at the high end. Right in the middle is 19. 

 

That leaves room for 3-6 receptions under “normal” gameflow. 

 

 

You're giving Hogan a floor that matches his highest receptions in the season.   He only got one target last week with Gordon playing only limited time.

Although I think you're low on Edleman.

 

But in the end I think the 3-6 is right.    Of course much of this all depends on how the Colts try to D Gronk.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im full aboard the gordon train but Im not starting him this week. I have a hard time seeing this game being anything other than a complete blowout where they dont need to rely on josh at all. I think it will be a big sony michel game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

Im full aboard the gordon train but Im not starting him this week. I have a hard time seeing this game being anything other than a complete blowout where they dont need to rely on josh at all. I think it will be a big sony michel game 

I keep seeing this. COMPLETE BLOWOUT. If you think this, wouldn't someone have to be catching these TDs to make this a true statement. Gronk catching all of them? Maybe 1 or 2. Edelman? nah. Hogan? doubt it. 

 

Why not Gordon? I agree, may not be the best week to start him, but would not be surprised at all if he has a line of 3-5 for 60 and a TD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.